Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

LOTR book to movie question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When Frodo "checks in" at the Prancing Pony, he uses the fake name "Underhill". Is this scene taken from the book and does he use the same name?

I ask because this scene makes me laugh every time because in Fletch, Chevy Chase uses this name to order roomservice (and more...)
Old 11-18-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Yes, he uses the name "Underhill" when Butterbur the Innkeeper of the Prancing Pony inquires who he is.
Old 11-18-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the name of Underhill is in the book. That's the name Gandalf gives Frodo so Gandalf can check up on him at the Prancing Pony, and it is also the name on the letter addressed to Frodo in the book.
Old 11-18-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I seem to recall that in the inn scene where Merry (or Pippin?) pointed out Frodo as a Baggins, that the question was being asked by
Spoiler:
a human informer that was actually working with the Ringwraiths for pay.
I didn't see any sign of this in the movie.
Old 11-18-02, 10:46 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Okay, another question on the book to movie translation. I've never read the books, and waited for the 4-disk set before I saw the movies, and have just watched the movie over the last couple of nights. Was the "nobody tosses a dwarf" line in the book, or was it a sort of joke about today's "sport" of dwarf-tossing?

Also, is a 20-something minute closing credits a record?
Old 11-18-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The name Underhill was first used by Bilbo in "The Hobbit" (The prequal to LOTR, where Bilbo finds the ring) Gandalf and Frodo would have both heard the name before.
Old 11-18-02, 11:09 PM

The dwarf-tossing line comes from director Peter Jackson, not Tolkien.

I laughed at the line in Fletch all those years ago because I assumed it was a Tolkien reference, so I guess Mr. Underhill has come full circle.
Old 11-19-02, 11:42 AM
Banned

-You are a guest of the Underhills?

-Yes

-They have gone out senor.

-That's alright, he'll be back, he just stepped out for his urinalysis.

-Would you like something to eat?

-Yes, Please. I'll have a bloody mary...a steak sandwich and...a steak sandwich please.

Last edited by Pants; 11-19-02 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-22-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Does anyone know the answer to my question?
Old 11-22-02, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I seem to recall that in the inn scene where Merry (or Pippin?) pointed out Frodo as a Baggins, that the question was being asked by
Spoiler:
a human informer that was actually working with the Ringwraiths for pay.
I didn't see any sign of this in the movie.
No, for what obviously seems like a pacing reason, the Bree sequence was considerably reduced in the movie.

In the book,
Spoiler:
the hobbits have much more interractions with the innkeeper and his helpers (one of which is a bad guy if I remember it well.) There are also goblin-men in the inn and they make sure the black riders are informed of the presence of the ring-bearer. Also, in the book, Frodo revealed himself when he felt under a table and accidentally put the ring on after a dance and song number. And then, I think it was Merriadoc who saw some of the riders when he went for a walk. And Gandalf had left a letter for Frodo but the innkeeper forgot to give him.

In the movie,
Spoiler:
Peter Jackson had to trim it down to keep the movie flowing. Otherwise, it would have been a stop right after the story really began. So he used the fact that the riders were attracted to the ring and that they could feel it when it was being used to bring them in Bree.

I think Jackson and his two co-criters did a great job adapting the book into a respectful and interresting screenplay even if they had to sacrifice a lot in doing so.