Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Star Trek: Nemesis?
39.24%
27.85%
20.25%
Have not seen it
12.66%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek: Nemesis

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 629 Likes on 484 Posts
Originally posted by Spooky
He's sitting at the far left (if you're facing it) end of the wedding table at the beginning of the movie...my guess is he's cut out of the pan and scan version!
Okay, I saw him. Thanks. He's barely noticable, though (I watched in widescreen), so Itotally missed himthe first time and was surprised to see his name in the end credits.
Old 05-20-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How could you not have seen Wes? He must have beamed in after one of his adventures exploring different realms.
Old 05-21-03, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to open your eyes, he was sitting in the wedding with Counselor Troi and Riker.

Wil Wheaton didn't have any dialogue at all, he just sat there and stared at the camera.
Old 05-22-03, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
Poor Wesley gets no respect.

[Nelson] Ha-ha! [/Nelson]
I was checking his blog about his Nemesis experience and probably the best/worst thing that happened to him was when we thought he was invited to the cast premiere, but it was just the opening day premiere for the public.
Old 05-24-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So is it true that this was the last one? I saw this last night and
thought it was pretty good. It didn't do very well at the Box
Office as I recall. It opened the week before Two Towers if I
remember right. I've really like the movie franchise and this one
was really good.

I've got one question that's bugging me about the alternate
ending. Who was the actor that was the new cheif officer? He
looks so dang familiar but I couldn't place him.

Jason

Had to redo the post. I wrongly titled the other thread Star
Trek: Insurrection. (thanks to Numanoid for point out my error)
Old 05-24-03, 09:09 PM

it was a decent film ... the sci-fi, in the sci-fi/fantasy genre is on the decline as of late ... and yes streeting the movie the week before TTT was stupid on paramounts part

the new first officer.... im not sure of the actors name, but he has a small recurring role on the CBS show JAG ...he plays Clayton Web a CIA officer who "helps out " now and again

i would have expected them to choose worf or jordie, or possible bring in a character from voyager like Chicote or tuvok.... but thats just my take on it

i personally think they will do atleast one more next gen film it might not have everyone in it , but its too soon to see "enterprise " movies yet and there is no story for either voyager or deep hole 9
Old 05-24-03, 09:23 PM
Banned

This is obviously the best Star Trek movie since the Wrath of Khan.

"Nemesis" is amazing. I saw this movie in theater and I just bought the DVD last night.

I plan on watching this movie tonight.

So two thumbs up definitely gets my vote.
Old 05-24-03, 09:25 PM
Rest in Peace

Since I don't get to movie theaters I had the bass all the way up and the volume up a bit. Then when the violent DVD menu came on it nearly shook me out of my lounger. My Dolby Headphone self designed theater sound from Denon AHD-750 20 ohms low impedance full size headphones. Using the 'haas' effect to fooling your brain that you have 2 speakers in the *back* of your head since 1994.

I don't care to change the unique signature that my system puts out. That DVD menu was something else, I liked all the phaser and photon torpedos going off all around my head. I am glad I bought the movie and all movies that were made since 1979. I would buy yet a few dozen more, if they would make them!
Old 05-25-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nemesis has turned out to be one of my favorite Trek films. It's one of those movies you can watch any time and enjoy (I've seen it 5 times or so now). It seemed like it was "cool" to be anti-Trek when it as released so many people never gave it a chance. I think it will be granted a whole new life thanks to home video.

[geek mode]In regard to the THORN's remark that the new first officer should have been Geordi or Worf, if I'm not mistaken neither one is in a Command career path. Geordi is obviously Engineering and Worf is, well Security, then Diplomatic, who the hell knows what he is now. It makes sense to bring in new blood. Could you really see Worf as First Officer? "Captain, if you insist on joining the Away Team, I'm afraid I will have to kill you where you stand!"[/geek mode]
Old 05-25-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's amazing how much people can disagree. Nemesis was easily one of the worst Star Trek films in my opinion and possibly the worst. I felt like they were simply doing everything over again from previous movies and episodes, only with far worse quality. Nothing in the movie worked at all. It looked bad, sounded bad, had bad performances and a bad script. It was a rare case of me actually feeling like I had totally wasted my time and been ripped off, and was made all the more painful by my memories of better Star Trek films and shows. The franchise has been dead to me for years and I think it should be totally put out of its misery or given an extended, say 5-10 year hiatus.
Old 05-25-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While I vocally dislike what Braga has done to the television franchise, I am not prone to randomly bashing things, particularly a Trek franchise that is very near and dear to my heart. However, I am one of the people that really didn't enjoy this film. As an action flick, it's quite entertaining; as Trek, it's sorely lacking. It's a shame that many who did enjoy the film have so condescendingly accused those who did not of hopping on some fad anti-Trek bandwagon. My reasons for why I didn't like the film are documented on this forum, and it's a waste to type them all up again, but I believe they are well thought out and valid. You may disagree with them, but they're hardly a knee-jerk reaction.

As someone who has dedicated a sizeable portion of my many decades on this planet to celebrating the wonderful creation that is Trek, I am inherently predisposed to be very forgiving of the mistakes they make. That should be indication enough that my criticisms were not formed lightly. My expecations were not inflated, but I did want very much to love this film. Unfortunately, it's just not very good IMO. This is coming from someone who will vocally defend TMP and TFF to anyone who will listen.

Is it a bad film? No. Is it a good installment in the Trek franchise? IMO, no.

das
Old 05-25-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I watched this again this weekend and can honestly say that I think it is my third favorite Trek move behind Wrath of Khan and First Contact. However, I think it should be the last TNG Trek movie and possibly the last Trek movie for a while, maybe ever. The Trek movies are good, but when it all boils down, even the best of them are *** films. They never have been nor will be cinematic or TV breakthroughs anymore.
I went to see this movie on its second night and the theater was moderately full at a mall multiplex. Interesting to note that not only was a majority of the audience guys, but guys in there alone (myself included). I kind of made note of the fact that this Trek came out the weekend after a lot of colleges were through with finals, which would definitely cut back on its trekkies going in mass chances, and not only did it hit theaters on a half week before LOTR:TTT, like others mentioned, but also the last big shopping weekend for people before they hit the road for the holidays.
Anyway, as I viewed the movie I found myself enjoying it immensely, and as I watched it a second time this weekend something kind of sank in moreso that began to develop the first time but I wasn't sure what to make of it. In a way, you could argue that TNG audience is personified in the role of Riker in the movie. Riker has been around Picard and the Enterprise partaking in its adventures for 15 years, the same amount of time since TNG debuted on TV at the time of the film's release, just like most audience members.
MINOR SPOILERS

When the ending comes, Riker requests permission to disembark and reminisces with Picard about the past 15 years. Riker leaves, presumably to negotiate peace with the Romulans, the only real recurring antagonists left in the Trek universe. Interesting enough, Picard speaks extensively to Data's "brother" about not being afraid of change and the need to move on to become a better person. He then returns to the Enterprise for more adventure, but with a new outlook.
After seeing this, I left the theater with something that no other Trek had left me with, a real sense of closure to the storyline. I enjoyed and still enjoy the movie, but I left more or less knowing that I would not be going back to see a Trek film on the big screen for a while. The series, both old and new, had served its purpose for me and I was ready to move on, much like Riker. I cannot help but wonder if the movie was made this way on purpose, as kind of a hidden message to Trek fans, but you never know.
Oh well, geeking up a storm is over for tonight!
Old 05-26-03, 12:59 PM

I liked this alot, what I didn't like was the slamming it got. I'd agree its the 3rd best after wraith and first contact. The only things I was disappointed with was the battle at the end, it was good but when I heard them talking about the biggest starship battle ever i was expecting more federation ships (especially after you saw 5 other ships aproaching on the screen-USS archer nice touch) and I wanted to see the USS Titan, Rikers ship at the end.
I would really like to know how Brent Spiner got so much power,I like the Data character but I always preferred Riker or Worf.When i read that a major character was going to die I really thought it would be Worf,but when it turned out to be who it was I was disappointed, it felt like a back door way in case the restarted the series.
but it was enjoyable!
Old 05-26-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it for the first time last week, and all I can say is that I feel ripped off.
Old 05-27-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dug it.

Finally got around to it tonight. Didn't make it to the theaters, and bought it sight unseen when it came to DVD. I own all the films but I have only seen one episode of TNG. None of the other series either. Maybe that's why I liked Nemesis. No expectations. Hadn't read of a big starship battle, didn't know about the fate of a character, etc.

One of the things I like the most about Wrath of Khan was the 3D starship chess match/battle at the end. The battle in Nemesis was right up there with it, IMO. I found myself "oo-ing and ah-ing" as the ships met and such.

Fun stuff. Two up.
Old 05-27-03, 03:25 AM

The movie sucked......

I just watched this wreck of a movie and after the credits rolled I thought finally it's over with now that is nearly two hours that I will not get back what a waste the whole movie tries too hard to be like Wrath of Kahn the plot and characters and storyline are almost similar no wonder this movie tanked at the box office as well as it should have another nail in the coffin of this franchise thanks to Berman.
Old 05-27-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
I was one of Nemesis' critics after I saw the movie in the theater last December. I liked it to a point, but was disappointed that it wasn't the epic Trek movie that was promised by all involved.

Watching it for the first time on DVD I found that I liked it much more the second time with lowered expectations going in. Some of the "flaws" that I thought were there turned out to be minor nitpicking on my part.

After watching the deleted scenes I was left feeling that the movie was poorly edited - 3 of the deleted scenes SHOULD have been included in the movie (including, IMO, the deleted ending that seemed more like a classic Trek ending than what was used - it reminded me of the ST 6 ending).

Nemesis could have been better, but I think like ST 3 it's going to be one of those movies that is better than it's reputation.
Old 05-27-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One of my main issues with the film was the complete devaluation of the Romulan Empire. Repeated viewings just makes me more frustrated about this.

As for The Search for Spock, it's a great addition to the Trek family. I don't know why people didn't like it. Although the fight scenes are cheesy, the main themes are presented in a very entertaining manner, and I've enjoyed it since the first time I saw it.

das
Old 05-27-03, 11:38 AM

Re: Star Trek: Nemesis

Originally posted by jasonbird
I've got one question that's bugging me about the alternate
ending. Who was the actor that was the new cheif officer? He
looks so dang familiar but I couldn't place him.
The actor is Steven Culp...you may remember him as Bobby Kennedy in THIRTEEN DAYS. He also was in a few episodes of this season of 24, playing a CIA interrogator.
Old 05-27-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
So-so. Frankly, First Contact was the only TNG movie that I really enjoyed.
Old 05-27-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
One of my main issues with the film was the complete devaluation of the Romulan Empire. Repeated viewings just makes me more frustrated about this.

As for The Search for Spock, it's a great addition to the Trek family. I don't know why people didn't like it. Although the fight scenes are cheesy, the main themes are presented in a very entertaining manner, and I've enjoyed it since the first time I saw it.

das

I agree that the "devaluation" of the Romulan Empire was one of the main flaws with this movie (it was WAY too easy for Shinzon to take over the Empire - even with some help from within), but like I said in my original post I didn't see as many flaws as I thought I saw the first time around.

I've always been curious as to the lack of respect that The Search For Spock gets - to me it's a solid contiuation of the style and themes of The Wrath Of Khan. Maybe it's because Wrath Of Khan was so damn good, and had so few flaws and The Search For Spock's flaws are a little more glaring, I don't know.

But I still say that Nemesis isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

And I am one of those people who strongly believes that 5 or 10 years from now we'll have a new Trek movie with a mixed cast and a new starting point for the movie series. If Paramount will get smart and fire Berman and Braga prior to that movie's pre-production it might actually be a success on all levels.
Old 05-27-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't seen it. Just wanted to get in on the poll!
Old 05-27-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth B5Erik •<HR SIZE=1>But I still say that Nemesis isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.<HR SIZE=1>

While I have an initial negative reaction to the mention of the film, my review is simply, "solid action film; poor Trek film." Take it out of the Trek franchise, change the names of the characters, and it works decently. I still have issues with how some characters were motivated more by moving the plot in a certain direction than realistic motivations, but overall, it works. Add in the character development and established Universe leading up to this film, however, and it fails. The fact that Janeway is an Admiral in the first place stretches the believability of the entire franchise; having Picard take orders from her ... a proverbial last straw. Try to picture Bester as best man in Garibaldi's wedding ... that's how that felt. It's one of the many things done in Nemesis that was intended to be "cute" but showed a lack of understanding of the whole picture. They were so busy winking at the fans that they missed out on all the reasons we became fans in the first place.

das
Old 05-27-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I had to rate the movies, it would go like this:

ST II: Wrath of Khan
ST: First Contact
ST IV: The Voyage Home
ST VI: The Undiscovered Country
ST III: The Search For Spock
ST: Generations
ST: Nemesis
ST: The Motion Picture
ST: Insurrection
ST V: The Final Frontier
Old 05-27-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally posted by jarofclay73
If I had to rate the movies, it would go like this:

ST II: Wrath of Khan
ST: First Contact
ST IV: The Voyage Home
ST VI: The Undiscovered Country
ST III: The Search For Spock
ST: Generations
ST: Nemesis
ST: The Motion Picture
ST: Insurrection
ST V: The Final Frontier

This is very close to mine - I would VI in 2nd position, First Contact 3rd and IV in 4th. The rest looks pretty good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.