Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Success of Star Wars

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Success of Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-02, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a question!

First of all, let me put it straight. I'm a star wars fan from the early days. I saw the first film in 77 and it changed the way I looked at movies ever since.

Would the Star Wars film be so popular without their past history. There is no short answer for this one as we could never really know since they exist and influance greatly our ways of looking at the new crop.

First of all, I'm sure that even the first trilogy if it had been created 5 years ago instead of 25 would already have been forgotten. Why? Because people don't care anymore. Geeks do but not the real people.

I mean, how many toys do you find in the stores these days that are merchandise from a movie from earlier than last year? As a kid in the late 70's and early 80's, I remember seeing Star Wars stuff all year long in the stores. Our society quickly forgets what happened merely minutes ago, that's our way of life now.

Another thing is that in the mass of actual special efffects extravaganza that inhabits our movie theater these days, Star Wars would have been forgettable. It would probably be considered too corny, badly acted and not violent enough to be considered more than a kid's film like Harry Potter for instance.

But luckily for us, it was made long ago and had the time to become an institution, a classic in its own very special way. After all, it's the ultimate source of every geek's dreams.

How we would react to the new trilogy had this one not been there to create an anticipation. Probably not much different than how we react to movies like the Mummy. We have fun at once, then we see something else and we lose our interrest.

Our society has a defficience in its attention span.

Still, I personnally though the new movies weren't up to the first trilogy. I can't watch them more than once. It bores me to death. Maybe it's just time I let it go and start remembering what a good time I had when the first ones came into my life. I won't bash the new movies as I have other things to do but I won't buy them either and probably will never see them again.