Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another Return of the Jedi Question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is now common knowledge that Episode VI was originally rumored to be titled Revenge of the Jedi, and that even some early licensed merchandising and posters had this title on them. I've heard two explanations for the change to Return of the Jedi:

1. Simply the filmmakers decided that a word like Revenge was unbecoming of a Jedi and decided to change it

2. That "Revenge" was intentionally leaked as the title so that pirated merchandise could be spotted.

Is there any truth to #2?
Old 11-06-02, 01:41 PM
Retired

I think it's mostly due to the first one. Revenge totally goes against the jedi code hence
Spoiler:
anakin slaughtering the sand people in episode II for killing his mother

Plus I've seen/read interviews with Lucas saying they changed it for that reasaon

Also if number 2 was the case, they probably would have tried it with episode one given the huge amount of merchandising behind that film.
Old 11-06-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
When they were filming ROTJ, they used another name altogether as a cover, but I can't remember what it was. I'll have to look in the book with the LD set tonight.
Old 11-06-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
When they were filming ROTJ, they used another name altogether as a cover, but I can't remember what it was. I'll have to look in the book with the LD set tonight.
Blue Harvest
Old 11-06-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Harvest was the code name for the movie. They told the locals it was a horror movie.
Old 11-06-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Plus, wasn't The Wrath of Khan originally supposed to be The Revenge of Khan, and they didn't want to have the title be that close to the Star Wars film, so they changed it too?
Old 11-06-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember the "Revenge of the Jedi" marketing (or maybe just reading about the upcoming movie back then), and was suprised when the change was made. As I remember it, it was due to the studio deciding that the negative connotation of "revenge" was not in line with the Jedi, and "return" was more appropriate.
Old 11-06-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

back in the dark ages, way before the internet, some of the best inside info on in-production genre movies was found in Cinefantastique.
they first leaked the info that the "other" cryptic comment in ESB was to refer to Vader/Anakin who would turn in the last act and destroy the emperor.
though they didn't have that quite right (most people take the 'other' to mean leia) and they didn't seem to know that leia was lukes bro, they did give a paragraph discussing the apparent witlessness of the oxymoronic title. it was several months after that that Lucas officially had the old posters pulled and re-titled it.
this was in fall of 82 if i remember right.

btw, posters weren't the only thing with the old revenge title.
a trailer (which in retrospect was by far cooler than the actual finished film was) was released.
i bought it off a projectionist at the local theater for about $8 about 7 months before the movie came out.
Old 11-07-02, 11:08 AM
Banned

Again, Do you think this was an after-the-fact decision that Lucas prefered one title over another, or was it a fancy ploy to deter bootleg merchandise?
Old 11-07-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Is "Jedi" in ROTJ singular or plural?

Singular: the return of Anakin
Plural: the return of the Jedi Order (beginning with Luke)
Old 11-07-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Again, Do you think this was an after-the-fact decision that Lucas prefered one title over another, or was it a fancy ploy to deter bootleg merchandise?

If it was this day and I age I would think that is a good reason. Since bootlegging is much easier now then it was back then.
Old 11-07-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
can't we just put all the questions in one thread? Or when should I expect to see: "Yet another ROTJ question"
Old 11-07-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
Is "Jedi" in ROTJ singular or plural?

Singular: the return of Anakin
Plural: the return of the Jedi Order (beginning with Luke)
In the current context, I think it means the order.