Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will the new "Solaris" film suck?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will the new version of "Solaris" suck?
Yes
21.92%
No
27.40%
Too early to tell - let's wait for the movie
50.68%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-02, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

Not trying to raise hell here (not necessarily at least), but after seeing how the screenshot of the main Solaris - the movie site looks like a blatant rip-off (clone) of Tarkovsky's, including the fact that Clooney resembles Donatas Banionis a little too much for my taste, I have a very bad feeling about this film. Granted, Soderbergh can be good sometimes, but come on!

Why did they try to remake a sci-fi masterpiece from the very beginning, it's beyond my comprehension. I wonder what's next... well, seeing that there's yet another version of the "War of the Worlds" in the making, I wouldn't be surprised if "2001: A Space Odyssey" would be next.
Old 11-01-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YES!!! I officially declare that a movie I have never seen will definitely suck!

I think the reason they remade it is because it's a good movie and approximately .01% of the U.S. population has seen Tarkovsky's version.
Old 11-01-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't see the original but have heard a lot of good things about it. I wanted to rent it, but couldn't find it at either local Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. Hopefully the new movie will be good and be more accessable than the original version.
Old 11-01-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
The commercials look pretty good to me. Haven't seen the original, but it doesn't mean I'm going to declare a movie I haven't seen as sucking.
Old 11-01-02, 04:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm not going to comment until I know what this is rated.
Old 11-01-02, 05:04 PM
Banned

I voted yes, but with slight reservations. I'm willing to give the film the bennefit of the doubt, but I'm getting less and less inclined to do so.

Initially everyone here and elsewhere was in agreement that the filmmakers should be given some slack; that perhaps they were going back to the source novel for a "readaptation" rather than a strait remake. But every shot I see reveals that they have coppied the sets, the lighting, even specific visual angles and poses by the actors!

My wildest dream is that instead of remaking an already perfect film, a studio would buy the rights to that film, then put $30 million into the advertising campaign and rerelease it on 3,000 screens. If they had done this with Solaris they would have made just as much money. People will see anything if $30 million in hype tells them to.
Old 11-01-02, 05:05 PM

Its obviously going to suck because its a remake! DUH! Hello! Remakes=SUCK! If anyone says anything positive about this movie they should be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Old 11-01-02, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
That's a joke right? There's really nothing in the book or original film that would get more than a PG.
Old 11-01-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Cool thread idea - weed out and expose all the people who judge movies before even seeing them so we can herd them into a room that we can then fill with water and hungry piranha.
Old 11-01-02, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Robert
Its obviously going to suck because its a remake! DUH! Hello! Remakes=SUCK! If anyone says anything positive about this movie they should be hung, drawn, and quartered!
The remake of The Blob and The Thing are much better than the originals.
Old 11-01-02, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Pants

My wildest dream is that instead of remaking an already perfect film, a studio would buy the rights to that film, then put $30 million into the advertising campaign and rerelease it on 3,000 screens. If they had done this with Solaris they would have made just as much money. People will see anything if $30 million in hype tells them to.
That would be cool with me too. But do you think your average American would prefer to see a movie in Russian with English subtitle over an English version?
Old 11-01-02, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
The remake of The Blob and The Thing are much better than the originals.
That's not true. The original Blob is miles away better and Hawk's The Thing is at least the equal of Carpenter's and probably gets the edge for comming first.

There are remakes that are better than their predocessers, but those are bad examples.

Last edited by Pants; 11-01-02 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-01-02, 06:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
No...I think it looks very promising.
Old 11-01-02, 07:02 PM
Banned

From what I have read this is suppose to be mostly character driven without Big Space Battle.
You think people will want to see a Sci Fi movie with explosions, action scenes and lots of Death? I think not. This is the XXX/Armaggedon generation.
Old 11-01-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a joke right? There's really nothing in the book or original film that would get more than a PG.
Well, then I doubt it will be any good, because that means no nudity, no drugs, no gun shots to the head, and no semen jokes. Think of a good movie with none of those. Can't be done.

Darn, and I was looking forward to this one!
Old 11-01-02, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
Old 11-01-02, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have no idea as I haven't seen it. But the commercial makes it look like a chick-flick love story. I haven't seen the original either, yet. But if the entire movie is about what I've seen in the commercial, I'll pass. Not my kind of film. But that doesn't mean it sucks, especially since nobody has even seen it yet.
Old 11-01-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about we reserve judgment until we see the movie? What a radical concept! It's not like we're talking about Freddy Got Fingered 2 here. Soderbergh is at least competent, and as much as I love Tarkovsky his 'original' version is the weakest movie he ever made (which still is relatively impressive, but...)
Old 11-01-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Considering his Ocean's 11 was far better than the dated, plodding original, I'm willing to give him a shot...
Old 11-01-02, 09:04 PM

yes, I a gree on Ocean's Eleven being above the original.

But, let's be honest: Soderbergh has also done movies that are more or less bad ("Out of Sight" comes to mind...), so it's not like he's guaranteed to transform everything he touches into gold.

The fact that many of the shots available seem to be shamelessly copying Tarkovsky makes me wonder if we're not going to have another "Psycho" remake.

I also am a little worried with the fact that the script writer has allowed changes in the name and sex of some of the characters. This might seem like a moot point for some of you, but it's not, since Lem paid tribute to writers and ideas before him (for those interested, Sadoul's volume of Sci-fi literature and film criticism remains paramount in discussing these issues)
Old 11-01-02, 10:12 PM
Suspended

You guys fail to understand that Soderbergh's Solaris is NOT a remake of Tarkovsky's Solaris. Steven went back to the original source material for his film - the book.

If Soderbergh took Tarkovsky's script and re-filmed it, then it would be a remake. This is similar to what Tim Burton did (or tried to do) with Planet of the Apes. A 're-imagining,' if you will.

Do you guys consider Bazz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet a remake of Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, or an adaptation of Shakespeare's play?
Old 11-02-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's a joke right?
have you ever read any of groucho's posts???
Old 11-02-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I will judge later, but I like the cast so far. Are Don Cheadle and Luis Guzman in it?
Old 11-02-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I have no idea whatsoever as to what this movie is about. I only know that it had a teaser that was loud as hell and not too impressive.

I think this flick has WAY too much competition against it if it intends to stick with its release date of around Christmas.
Old 11-04-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Robert
[sarcasm] Woah! You have totally changed my opinion, dude! Killer! Let's go hang those others who love remakes! Cowabunga dude! [/sarcasm]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.