Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars on Imax Nov 1st

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is only to let you know when Star Wars can be seen on the Imax screen, not to start another Star Wars bashing thread or how they should not edit the movie to be shown on Imax.

Myself and a bunch of friend are going to see the movie in San Fran, can't wait.

This holiday season, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones will be bigger than ever. Lucasfilm Ltd., The IMAX Corporation and Twentieth Century Fox have announced that Episode II will be coming to IMAX theaters in the United States and Canada starting November 1, 2002.

This is not just the projection of the standard theatrical print on an IMAX screen -- the movie will undergo the revolutionary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) process, which enhances the quality of the image and soundtrack to the huge IMAX 15/70 format. This marks the first time IMAX DMR has been used to re-master a film that was digitally captured and created.

"Star Wars: Episode II The IMAX Experience will provide an entirely new way to experience the Star Wars universe," says Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing for Lucasfilm. "For the first time, fans of Star Wars will be able to see all their favorite characters, environments, vehicles and droids in a setting that is up to eight stories high and over a hundred feet wide."

"The combination of Lucasfilm's innovative digital technology and the revolutionary, proprietary IMAX DMR technology will deliver the clear, crisp and sharp images and sound that IMAX theater-goers have grown to expect," says Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs for IMAX Corporation.

"You can't find a movie better suited for the IMAX format," adds Bruce Snyder, President, Domestic Distribution, Fox. "We are thrilled to bring this giant of a film to the giant IMAX screen."

Click here to purchase tickets and to see a list of IMAX Theatres showing Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones.

For more information, visit starwars.com.
Old 10-23-02, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The poster for this kicks all other posters asses:

Also.. sadly, 20+ minutes had to be cut to put it on IMAX..
Old 10-23-02, 08:39 PM
DB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also.. sadly, 20+ minutes had to be cut to put it on IMAX.. [/B]
If the 20 minutes come from the terrible love scenes, it can only improve the picture dramatically.
Old 10-23-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Doubt it will all come from the love scenes, You do understand, we have to see why Padme and Anakin click.
Old 10-23-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll skip this. I love the movie....but....need to save $$
Old 10-24-02, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Must...see...this...on...IMAX
Old 10-24-02, 08:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Iron Giant, how about also listing the Cities/Imax Theatres that this is getting shown at? Wandering the starwars.com website is really annoying and timeconsuming - I gave up trying to find this info.
Old 10-24-02, 09:13 AM

I know its at these cinemark imax's
http://www.cinemark.com/starwars.asp
Old 10-24-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't wait til next Friday!! Woo!!
I would NOT miss this for anybody that likes Star Wars. I almost did not go see Beauty & the Beast at IMAX since I had seen the movie so many times, but I finally got dragged into it before it left, and it was quite an experience. Wow. Just.. can't imagine what this will be like.

(tho.. I've seen Star Wars ep 4, Matrix, and LOTR on IMAX, just.. not formatted for IMAX.. they were mediocre presentations)
Old 10-24-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would never see it, since they edited 20 minutes out and the widescreen frame will be cropped to fit the 1:33 to 1 IMAX ratio.
Old 10-24-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hold up a second, the apollo 13 imax movie had new scenes and the movie is already like close to 2 and a half hours. so why is episode 2 cut a bit and apollo 13 not???
Old 10-24-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
hold up a second, the apollo 13 imax movie had new scenes and the movie is already like close to 2 and a half hours. so why is episode 2 cut a bit and apollo 13 not???
I don't know.. I read something about like, IMAX cameras only hold 2 hours? Sounds dumb but hey.. why else would they edit it down?
Old 10-26-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It figures!! There is only one IMAX theater where I live ( Connecticut or as I call it "The Black Land Of Mordor ) and it's NOT carrying Attack Of The Clones!!! What kind of rinky dink state is this?!?!?!?! I'm going to have to go either to New Rochelle, NY or Providence, RI if I want to see it.

For a state that claims to be so "sophisticated" why does everything suck :censored: around here?!?!?! I swear it's worse than Des Moinnes!!!!
Old 10-28-02, 03:17 PM
Banned

so why is episode 2 cut a bit and apollo 13 not???
Simple. Apollo 13 is cut too! AND reformated from widescreen to fit the aspect ratio of the IMAX screen. I loath these idiotic "This one goes to ELEVEN" marketing schemes by the filmmakers and IMAX. The films COULD be presented in their OAR if they had an intermisssion, but sadly the message being sent by the producers is that they only want to make $$$ as fast as they can.
Old 10-29-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

APOLLO 13 IMAX is also edited and cropped from the OAR. Why would someone pay $13.50 to see edited cropped movies? I don't get it.
Old 10-29-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Steve Phillips
APOLLO 13 IMAX is also edited and cropped from the OAR. Why would someone pay $13.50 to see edited cropped movies? I don't get it.
You do realize that Movies are edited before hitting theaters. I mean come on, who wants to see 20 hours of footage cut down to 2 hours in a movie! (sarcasm alert)

Atleast this was done by the maker, so thus the edits are done under there supervision on what they feel they could have cut (Makes you wonder since the general rule of thumb is if you feel it could be cut, cut it)
Old 10-29-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here are the cuts from apollo 13

The remastered IMAX version of the film is about twenty minutes shorter in running time than the origial theatrical version. Some of the missing scenes are the dinner that the astronauts have aboard the ship that results in Bill Paxton being sick into a plastic bag, and Cathleen Quinlan telling the off the press.
Old 10-30-02, 10:53 AM
Banned

here are the cuts from apollo 13

The remastered IMAX version of the film is about twenty minutes shorter in running time than the origial theatrical version. Some of the missing scenes are the dinner that the astronauts have aboard the ship that results in Bill Paxton being sick into a plastic bag, and Cathleen Quinlan telling the off the press.
That info is from IMDb and can't be accurate because there is no scene with "the dinner that the astronauts have aboard the ship that results in Bill Paxton being sick into a plastic bag". He barfs right after take off. That person doesn't know what they are talking about. I would still like to know what was cut.
Old 10-30-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to be living in NorCal. We have 3 IMAX theaters here. 2 of which are sure to carry Ep2.
Old 10-30-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is ridiculous to compare movies being edited prior to the final release version to a truncated version of something that has already been released in a longer version.

Please.

The reason this is coming out in IMAX is to squeeze more $$$$ out of SW fans.

I STILL don't see why watching an edited down, cropped movie is so exciting just because it is on a big screen. Especially when they want to charge you IMAX prices for it. Imean, you are all going to watch the DVD 1300 times in the next month anyway.
Old 10-30-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Phillips
Please.

The reason this is coming out in IMAX is to squeeze more $$$$ out of SW fans.

I STILL don't see why watching an edited down, cropped movie is so exciting just because it is on a big screen. Especially when they want to charge you IMAX prices for it. Imean, you are all going to watch the DVD 1300 times in the next month anyway.
I'll do what I want with MY money thank you very much. And this is not just any "big" screen. The term you're looking for here is BIGGER screen.
Old 10-30-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From www.aint-it-cool-news.com

Hi Harry-poo,

I just heard an interesting bit of Star Wars info I thought you'd want to know about. A 'friend' of mine was licking my ear and decided to let a few hot breathy words out that he saw the IMAX screening of "Episode 2" and said it ****ING ROCKS. That got my nipples hard just thinking about it!

He said it's the best Star Wars experience he's ever had - period. And no, he didn't mean that type of period you perv! And what makes it especially sweet is that Lucas cut the meadow scene! The scene of Ani and Amidala frolicking in the field? Gone. Bye bye. My bosom heaves a sigh of relief. Also cut is my favorite bad Star Wars line, which is "I'm Owen Lars, this is my girlfriend Beru." Helloooo, that was so 1983 FACTS OF LIFE!

As I was coming up for air, I asked my friend if a dose of reality hit Lucas in the cutting room, and he said apparently the scenes were cut for "technical reasons." Yeah, right! Because they technically blew like Honey Shayne, and that one drags the teeth darling! Due to the IMAX platter form, the film cannot be any longer than 2 hours, so some cuts had to be made. Interesting that those scenes are what Lucas chose to cut. I can't wait to see this! Absinthe, anyone?

Boom-Boom Bangs
Old 10-30-02, 01:38 PM

Film editing has nothing to do with cutting the corners of a previously released movie so it fits on a different format like cutting scenes of a film or changing its ratio to fit the IMAX screen.

The Imax cut is more like buying a sculpture and truncating off its head so it fits in the room you want it in.

Come on! What does this have to do with movie editing???
Old 10-30-02, 06:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Bought my tix for Friday afternoon, $7.50, not bad, I was expecting it to be alot more.
Old 10-31-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
It figures!! There is only one IMAX theater where I live ( Connecticut or as I call it "The Black Land Of Mordor ) and it's NOT carrying Attack Of The Clones!!! What kind of rinky dink state is this?!?!?!?! I'm going to have to go either to New Rochelle, NY or Providence, RI if I want to see it.

For a state that claims to be so "sophisticated" why does everything suck :censored: around here?!?!?! I swear it's worse than Des Moinnes!!!!
Cap'n: Try IMAX at Nyack, just over the Tappan Zee bridge. If you are going to New Rochelle, don't take your life in your hands.

Nyack IMAX

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.