Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ring ... Scariest Movie I'd Ever Seen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ring ... Scariest Movie I'd Ever Seen

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
"There's a bunkbed. If you sleep on it with your brother, seven days later your parents ask you for rent. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Old 10-22-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Dr. DVD •<HR SIZE=1>Again, did I miss something? Maybe I just saw it in the wrong atmosphere or something like that. I just found it to be moderately frightening, not truly horrific. Granted, the actual tape and horse scene were freaky, and it had some suspense at the beginning, but other than that rather dull and run of the mill.

Maybe I've seen so much horror in my time from all the videos I rented in my earlier years that nothing scares me anymore.
<HR SIZE=1>

I didn't find anything scary about it either. Nor did I find anything horrific or frightening. But I did find it to be pretty creepy and certainly far from "run of the mill" territory. I compared it to Stir of Echoes earlier as it's another movie I would desribe as "creepy." They're certainly not the same kind of movie, but they each have a few scenes where I'm almost entranced watching the screen. The pacing and setup for the scenes are so strong that I actually start grinning at how creepy it's getting. I too have seen countless horror films, and you don't often get that from the genre, so I like it when I see it.

Maybe the atmosphere was bad for you, or maybe it's just not your cup o' tea. I didn't leave the theater scared or jumpy or anything, but I did feel like I had been taken on an interesting ride with some fantastically presented scenes that entranced me more than a typical film would. But then I like creepy stuff a lot more than your typical horror fare, so it was definitely my "type" of film.

das
Old 10-22-02, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Otto
Spoiler:
"Although I was trying to figure out what the hell the boy was talking about later.. it didn't seem to relate in any way to what actually happened.. why was he so scared? "You shouldn't have helped her" and "don't you get it, she never sleeps".. wtf? How is that a clue as to what the deal is? So she's evil, granted, but why would that information provide Naomi with any insight or reason to get scared and call the guy? I missed that, even though I understood the rest."
Spoiler:
The 'no sleep' was just something that is inherently wrong with Samara and how she is plain badness, just maintaining a creep factor. There's no real reason for Rachel to suddenly pick up the phone and call from this. You didn't miss anything.

Aiden hardly changes his mannerisms either, so his sudden 'concern' for his mom letting Samara out of the well is mismatched too. His eyes might get bigger but I just thought he was trying to read the cue cards better

While I thought Samara coming out of the television was a great idea it really did look like a grown woman which lost some effect on me. Linda Blairs portrayal still creeps me out more, by far.

So now Samara is out and about, she doesn't need that stinking tape after all. Who knows, maybe she can upgrade to worldwide cable - in more houses than a Nielsen box

Last edited by superstringtheory; 10-22-02 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I didn't find anything scary about it either. Nor did I find anything horrific or frightening. But I did find it to be pretty creepy and certainly far from "run of the mill" territory. I compared it to Stir of Echoes earlier as it's another movie I would desribe as "creepy." They're certainly not the same kind of movie, but they each have a few scenes where I'm almost entranced watching the screen.
I find this comparison noteworthy, Das. Just to add:

Spoiler:

Remember the scene with Vanessa touching hands with Tom? The way it was shot, how contorted her body looked walking closer to him...That truly gave me chills!
Old 10-22-02, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Otto
[B]
Spoiler:
Also, the girl crawling out of the TV was not in the original movie either, or instead of a TV, it was really any reflective surface. Mirror, body of water, whatever.

Actually, this was in the original...one of the moments they had to carry over. Faces also were distorted but not as grotesque as they were in the remake (kids in car)...creepy none the less.
Spoiler:
You can watch a quicktime movie of Sadako coming
out of the tv here:
http://thehorrorofringu.com/ring_rvw.html
You'll have to bear with quicktime's quality but you get
the idea. Way more effective, that bright airy loft didn't
gel with me...IMO. still a great movie.

Last edited by Hannibal; 10-22-02 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hannibal
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Otto
Spoiler:
Also, the girl crawling out of the TV was not in the original movie either, or instead of a TV, it was really any reflective surface. Mirror, body of water, whatever.

Spoiler:
It was a TV when I saw it...............
Old 10-22-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by thematrix
I actually had trouble sleeping last night because I kept thinking about the little girl

I'm surprised that I had trouble sleeping last night as well. It happened after I watched the original, and it just happened again last night. The image of a girl dressed in white with long dark hair covering her face creeps me out. I know different people find creepiness in different things- to some it might be a two headed monster or a guy with a scream mask- but this girl freaks me out.
Old 10-22-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, coming home from the theater was fun, because I have
Spoiler:
a solid black 65" TV that could house 4 or 5 little girls inside it with no problem. The screen is like a black hole in the side of my wall, so I'll admit to turning that sucker on pretty soon after walking in the door.

das
Old 10-22-02, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Autotelik
I'm surprised that I had trouble sleeping last night as well. It happened after I watched the original, and it just happened again last night. The image of a girl dressed in white with long dark hair covering her face creeps me out. I know different people find creepiness in different things- to some it might be a two headed monster or a guy with a scream mask- but this girl freaks me out.
Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Old 10-22-02, 06:31 PM

I had trouble sleeping the first few nights after seeing the original. I usually have my tv's timer wake me up early (5am) and when I woke up from what few hours I had to static that first time really threw me for a loop. But you know what's worse than not being able to sleep? Having one of those lucid dreams with her crawling/walking toward you. Not good for the heart...But then, after awhile it's like you're addicted to that feeling. Like haunted houses, or roller coasters. You want that fix. I can't wait for another movie that will give me that dread..
Old 10-22-02, 07:02 PM
Cool New Member

This is what is so great about this movie...You can compare it to any other horror film and it just has a step up on the others.

Let me explain :

In you typical horror movie, you have your slasher/killer on the loose and the people in the movies typically corner themselves in ridiculous situation (run to the basement, or run upstairs/to the attic..essentially cornering themselves. You also tend to feel that with physical threats, you could either A) haul ass outta there and live to see another day or B) throw down and take care of business so it seems there is less to worry about...Simply put, someone breaks into my house with an AXE, they get a bullet to the head, or in a Friday the 13th case, I high tail it outta there (try to walk as fast as I run....hehe)

What makes The Ring so damn scary is something that is two-fold :

1) By the time we actually SEE Samara crawling out of the TV , this even is TOTALLY believeable as the whole movie is setup to climax at that event..we all somewhat knew it was coming, but were not prepared for the actual moment. The really moving thing is that you knew it would eventually come to that, and believed it when you saw it

2) the center focus is a VHS tape and TV's...something damn near EVERYONE can relate to. Friday the 13th has Camp Crystal Lake, Halloween has Haddenfield, which while both can relate to something close to home, are NOWHERE near as common as a freaking TV. Everyone that watched this movie gave a second look to their TV when they got home, some even contemplated unplugging it for a second.

Simply put : The Ring basically put you in the protaganists shoes so well that you carry it home with you to the point where even the simple act of watching television pulls you back into those last 15 minutes of the movie...anybody with me on this?Samara crawling out of the TV

Last edited by CptObvious; 10-22-02 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 07:07 PM
Cool New Member

Oh yes, also forgot to include telephones in the above statement...anyone get jumpy when the phone rings at home?
Old 10-22-02, 07:21 PM

I'm with ya...
There is an old 60's movie called "Rosemary's Baby" that I remember getting a similar feel from. I saw it when I was really young though. I think I'll revisit that this Halloween to see if it holds up...
Old 10-22-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd suggest going to sleep at night is more common than TV. I know there are a few hundred sequels including the rumored Freddy vs. Geoffrey the Toys 'R' Us Giraffe, but talk about a vulnerable part of our lives that everyone can relate to. Don't get me wrong, I loved The Ring, but I can see the first Nightmare scaring the bejeezus out of quite a few people.

das
Old 10-22-02, 07:27 PM

Hmmm, think I'll add Nightmare to the list. People have mentioned for me to see "The Changeling" and the original "The Haunting" as well..are those in the same vein?

Actually this should be another topic...back to the Ring..anyone stay till after the credits? Anything shown?

Last edited by Hannibal; 10-22-02 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by CptObvious
This is what is so great about this movie...You can compare it to any other horror film and it just has a step up on the others.

1) By the time we actually SEE Samara crawling out of the TV , this even is TOTALLY believeable as the whole movie is setup to climax at that event..we all somewhat knew it was coming, but were not prepared for the actual moment. The really moving thing is that you knew it would eventually come to that, and believed it when you saw it

Exactly. Although in my case, I seriously didn't see it coming. Right before that moment in the movie, I was already thinking to myself, "It wasn't as scary/creepy as I thought it was gonna be" Then BAM.
Spoiler:
Samarra climbs out of the well and walks out of the damn TV. I mean, just the way it was shot, and the way that girl walked creeped the hell out of me.
Old 10-22-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Hannibal

...back to the Ring..anyone stay till after the credits? Anything shown?

I usually stay till after the credits.... nope, nothing there.

Though the Dreamworks logo at the start of the movie, as you all may have noticed, did get a bit of static distortion. Thought that was neat.
Old 10-22-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Autotelik •<HR SIZE=1>Though the Dreamworks logo at the start of the movie, as you all may have noticed, did get a bit of static distortion. Thought that was neat. <HR SIZE=1>

That was kinda cool ... there was a "ring" in the "D." There were also quick "ring" flashes between a few key time transitions (no, not in the upper-right corner).

das
Old 10-22-02, 09:36 PM

Kal Jedi,
You're right...Her walk was scary as hell...plus you couldnt see her face...Damn...I'm getting chills again....
Old 10-22-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched the original japanese version.

Same exact film, just in japanese.

Both films aren't too good.
Just one cost $60 million dollars.

There are a couple more ring sequels. Grrreeat, More lame ring movies to come.

Japanese remakes are the new flavor of the month (chaos and a couple others are in the works)
Hopefully they will start remaking films worthy of it.
Old 10-22-02, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by thematrix
Kal Jedi,
You're right...Her walk was scary as hell...plus you couldnt see her face...Damn...I'm getting chills again....
You should see the 'walk' in Stir of Echoes!
Old 10-22-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm gonna check out SofE this weekend. Never saw it in the theaters.
Old 10-23-02, 12:21 AM

For those who have seen the original Ringu:

Spoiler:
Did anyone else notice that the close-up shot of the horse's eye before he freaks out is extremely similar to the payoff shot of Sadako's eye at the climax of Ringu? Every time I saw the trailer for the US version I grimaced because I thought they were spoiling the "money shot." So imagine my surprise when, while watching that scene, I realized that it was the *wrong* money shot I had seen. Of course, I still contend that the simple close-up of Sadako's eye was more effective than seeing Samara's rotted face...but then again, the main difference (and my only real problem with the remake) between the US version and the original is that the US version doesn't mind showing exactly what Samara looks like throughout the movie. It reminded me of seeing Ring 0 and feeling a strange sense of unwelcome closure that Sadako was revealed to such a degree...the mystery of evil is half the horror.

Larry
www.AssortedRamblings.com
Old 10-23-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

www.penny-arcade.com seems to think its scary.

We both went and saw The Ring this weekend, and I think - if anything - it showed how vulnerable my apartment is to monster attack.

Watching a horror movie in a theater on opening night is a good thing. It's like riding a rollercoaster, almost. As humans, we have some kind of organ that detects group dynamics, and sitting in the dark it is a simple matter to detect fear as it moves like a creature through the room. I don't want to say anything with specificity about the movie, because I think it's a very good and I don't want to dilute it for those half-human mongrels that didn't see it yet. Whether it's actually very, very scary or if I'm just a lightweight is up to you, but let me detail the rest of that night.

When I got home, I wasn't quite ready to go to bed. I had some questions about the Japanese books and movies The Ring is based on, and found and excellent site that filled in all the gaps. I know now that I was just trying to put off the inevitable. Our kitchen light is out, and I'd have to walk through the kitchen to get to bed, and it occurred to me that to walk through the darkness there even for a moment amounted to suicide. Fair enough. Looks like I'm sleeping in the living room. With all the lights on.

The only trouble is, this living room is like a Goddamn monster thoroughfare. I'd never really appraised it in this light, but depending on the relative psychokinetic power of the spectre in question there's about five ways in here. I laid down on the couch, and tried to cover as much of myself as I could with blanky. It would be a piss-poor demon or somesuch that could be thwarted by a blanket, but I was doing the best I could with what I had. I couldn't actually get the cover all the way around the back, which left my succulent head exposed to the hallway. Clearly this would not do, so I sat with my back propped up against the arm of the couch, with one foot on the ground in case I needed to leap to safety. My vigilance began to wane around three or so, so I found a way to lay on the floor and look down the hall, which I saw as the most plausible vector for ghouls.

I never did get any sleep, which brought about the miserable and exceedingly moist cold I'm nursing now. I still haven't recovered completely from the movie, I'm still frightened, and when I hear something behind me I wonder if I should turn around and look at it, or just close my eyes and hope it's over soon.
Old 10-23-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.