Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

movies about or by artists

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd like to put together a collection of films based on/by artists. i'm familiar with a lot of films about artists and their lives but less so about films made by or in collaboration with an artist (i.e. dali and spellbound, cocteau, etc.) i realize 'artist' can pertain to directors, etc. but in regards to this i mean fine artists (picasso, pollock, van gogh, etc.) they don't have to be acurate since the majority don't even come close! thanks in advance!

cheers!
Old 10-14-02, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's always "Pollock"...
Old 10-14-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pollock, lust for life, agony and the ecstacy, spellbound, orphic trilogy, beauty & the beast, basquiat, who shot andy warhol and the movies by warhol.

what am i missing???
Old 10-14-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Julian Schnabel made "Basquiat" about... well, Basquiat.

Also, he made "Before Night Falls", which was nominated for many awards. Schnabel quickly dismissed or condemned any competition.

Also, Salvador Dali was co-director of surrealist piece "Le Chien Andelou".
Old 10-14-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the opening of the review from allmovie.com:

Miguel Pinero became a leading figure in New York's art scene during the 1970s as a poet, actor, and playwright whose vibrant, often pointed, work spoke directly to the lower classes and to disenfranchised minorities...
Rembrandt (1936) is also available on DVD: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=A40892

"My Left Foot" (1989) is based on the cerebral palsy victin Christy Brown who becomes an author / painter / fundraiser. http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=A34071

Here's are a couple of other movies that I've not seen and do not appear to be available on DVD, but you might want to keep an eye on them:

Van Gogh, 1991: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=A81714

Surviving Picasso, 1996: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=A136156

Finally, here is a list of biographies from allmovie.com, which is where I found the above titles. I may have missed some, or you might want to look at people other than painters. http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=M2D|||588

Incidentally, this sounds like a neat idea, collecting DVDs about painters. It will be an interesting collection.

Last edited by Heat; 10-14-02 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-16-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the site and suggestions! i completely forgot surviving picasso--great film!
Old 10-16-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Chihwaseon

I just caught this 2002 film at a festival screening. It's about a late 19th century Korean prodigy and painter Ohwon Jang Seung-Ub (sp?). It's a very nice sweeping portrait of an artist while social change lurks in the background. Min-sik Choi turns in a great performance as a man for whom discipline and formalities are burdens rather than assets for an artist. The painting scenes are rightfully beautiful and pensive.
Old 10-16-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

About: Love is the Devil
Old 10-16-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't overlook THE HORSE'S MOUTH with Alec Guiness, recently released by Criterion.
Old 10-16-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just remembered Artemisia
Old 10-16-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

WHAT?! Comic books aren't fine art?
Old 10-16-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Jacques Rivette's La Belle Noiseuse (1991)

The Mystery Of Picasso (1955)

Victor Erice's The Quince Tree Sun (1992) - I haven't seen it, but I hear it's wonderful.
Old 10-17-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who animated "The Yellow Submarine?" That may work.
Old 10-17-02, 05:27 PM
Banned

Andrei Rublev
Old 10-27-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just found 'goya in bordeaux' at DDD. havent heard about this, anyone have thoughts?
Old 10-27-02, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by hgar78
just found 'goya in bordeaux' at DDD. havent heard about this, anyone have thoughts?
Really really bad, though with some interesting imagery and stagey surrealism.

There are so many, but one that comes to mind immediately is Jane Campion's An Angel At My Table about writer Janet Frame.
Old 10-27-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Just released in NY and LA, Frida, about Mexican painter Frida Kahlo, starring Salma Hayek.
Old 10-27-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Duckie
Really really bad, though with some interesting imagery and stagey surrealism.
really that bad? what's wrong with the film...boring, badly acted, ridiculous script???

another i forgot about is the one about the female sculptor camille claudel. haven't seen it either.

also, anyone heard about when 'surviving picasso' might be released on dvd?

Last edited by hgar78; 10-27-02 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-27-02, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by hgar78
really that bad? what's wrong with the film...boring, badly acted, ridiculous script???
It's plodding, dull and yes, ridiculous unless you buy into it's overly self-conscious surrealisms (which I found to be visually interesting moments at best, facile gimmicks at worst). Overall it's more disjointed than dreamlike and doesn't add up to much of an insightful portrait of the artist or the man. Though I have no doubt the filmmakers posses a wealth of knowledge about Goya, it isn't communicated well by this work. It's sort of like a coffee table version of a biography with arty pretensions.
Old 10-28-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what about andrei rubyev???
Old 10-28-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Goya in Bordeaux, but haven't watched it all of the way through. Not that I thought it was horrible, but just got distracted and never returned to the movie. I'll watch it tonight.

It is a Spanish language film, and the director was Carlos Saura. Here is the review from Allmovie.com:

Carlos Saura, one of the finest and most distinctive filmmakers in the Spanish cinema, wrote and directed this biographical epic concerning one of Spain's greatest artists, the painter Francisco de Goya y Lucientes. On his deathbed, Goya (Francisco Rabal), attended by his mistress, Leocadia (Eulalia Ramon) and their daughter, Rosario (Dafne Fernandez), is plagued by hallucinations and frequent visions of the beautiful Cayetana (Maribel Verdu) as his mind reels through the events of his life. As a young man, Goya (played in his younger days by Jose Coronado) became the court painter to King Charles and the Royal Family, where he created technically skillful but uninteresting portraits and was invited to a number of royal functions. At one such affair, Goya first met Cayetana, the Duchess of Alba, and he was immediately smitten; they became lovers, and she was both the subject and inspiration of several major works, including "Desnuda" and "La Maja Vestida." Goya's work developed a dark undercurrent after Napoleon invaded Spain and he took up with Leocadia, creating disturbing images that alienated his patrons and frightened his children. In time, the decline of the court and a changing political climate forced Goya to seek exile in France in 1824, where he would die four years later. Goya In Bordeaux was a project that Saura had dreamed of filming for years, and he was ably assisted in recreating the look of Goya's paintings by master cinematographer Vittorio Storaro. — Mark Deming
Old 01-25-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are still looking...

"The Mystery of Picasso" was just released on DVD. It is a 1956 documentary about the painter and features him painting 20 some odd paintings, including one in real time.

I've not seen it, but the review I saw was good.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=IMA000577

Old 01-26-03, 01:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is probably going to be a cop out, but David Lynch started his artistic career as a painter. In fact, the reason he went into movies is because he wanted to make moving paintings. I would suggest picking up his early films DVD from his website, and hopefully Eraserhead will also be available there soon.

And while everyone knows Salvador Dali collaborated on Un Chien Andalou, most people don't know that he also worked on Bunuel's second film, L'Age d'Or (The Age of Gold). However, this film is almost impossible to find.

Robert Altman did a miniseries in Britain called Vincent and Theo, about Van Gogh.

There is an upcoming film, Max, where John Cusack plays Max Rothman, a German art dealer in the 1920's, who tries to help a young artist by the name of Adolf Hitler.
Old 01-26-03, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
This is probably going to be a cop out, but David Lynch started his artistic career as a painter. In fact, the reason he went into movies is because he wanted to make moving paintings.
Well if you want to go that route you can also go with Peter Greenaway and John Waters. They both have books out of artwork.
Old 01-26-03, 07:29 AM

Robert Longo made Johnny Mnemonic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.