Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Panic Room Question {Spoilers}

Old 09-21-02, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Panic Room Question {Spoilers}

What is the reason that Meg didn't say something to the officer, or at least blink fer christ's sake?
Old 09-21-02, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

she considered the safety of her daughter? besides, wasn't he one of the first cops back on the scene?
Old 09-21-02, 07:56 AM

I agree w/ devilshalo about that. What I want to know is why didn't Whitaker's character remember the intercoms were two way? I mean that seems like a pretty basic thing. I did like the "why didn't we think of that" comment wrt smashing the cameras though
Old 09-22-02, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

what i wanna know is why did forrest whitaker run away at the end. the daughter told her dad not to shoot , and he saved themothers life by killing the other guy. obviosuly the family should liek him. if i were him idf been "dude, i saved yer life and yer daughters life, hows about i chill her and not get arrested." im sure the family wouldve let him.
Old 09-22-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was screaming at her to tell the cops. Look at it this way. If they're going to kill a little girl when they know there are cops outsided the door they're going to kill her anyways. And yeah I thought of the crooks smashing the cameras when Foster was in the room as well.....
Old 09-22-02, 11:41 PM

I thought this movie was sooo dumb
Old 09-23-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nemein
What I want to know is why didn't Whitaker's character remember the intercoms were two way?
I think Jodie Foster's character was talking through the air vent at this point. But, yeah, once the air vent "was opened" the crooks could've talked through there to communicate with them but I guess they didn't think of it.

The main question I had after watching this though was did her ex-husband survive? Sure, the daughter was telling him he'd be alright, but then the music got more and more tense and they showed Foster stareing at him and cut away. Then the next scene did nothing to answer the question.
Old 09-23-02, 12:20 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by CROM1
I thought this movie was sooo dumb
ditto
Old 10-10-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Panic Room Question {Spoilers}

Originally posted by Jack Straw
What is the reason that Meg didn't say something to the officer, or at least blink fer christ's sake?
OK. I gotta ask... Why did the cops come back? Did she give a signal that I didn't notice? The film never explains this (that I noticed.)

I was very disappointed by this movie. It's sad when the opening credits are the most interesting aspect of the movie.
Old 11-08-02, 10:16 PM

I just got done watching this movie-

and I loved it,

but How did the cops get back there so fast?????

ts
Old 11-09-02, 12:13 AM

David Fincher did a great job directing but the script just sucked.
Old 11-09-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
what i wanna know is why did forrest whitaker run away at the end. the daughter told her dad not to shoot , and he saved themothers life by killing the other guy. obviosuly the family should liek him. if i were him idf been "dude, i saved yer life and yer daughters life, hows about i chill her and not get arrested." im sure the family wouldve let him.
He had millions of dollars in his pocket that the cops would've confiscated. The family wouldn't have pressed charges but they wouldn't anyway, so runnings worth it if you ask me. Also remember that he had kids and didn't want to do the job in the first place, if he stuck around his kids would've found out that he was trying to rob the place. So if you ask me, it was worth it to run.
Old 11-10-02, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by tommy28
I just got done watching this movie-

and I loved it,

but How did the cops get back there so fast?????

ts
I live in the neighborhood where the movie takes place, and the police station is only about 6 blocks from the Panic Room house.
Old 11-10-02, 04:32 PM

Well, the 6 block thing was a little hard to tell from watching the movie... Going from 'everythings fine' to dozens of SWAT officers storming the building within half an hour or so was far too ridiculous. From memory, before they charged in there wasn't any sign from outside that anything might be wrong inside.
Old 11-10-02, 04:46 PM

Maybe the 911 hang-up,?

although it would have been nice if Jodi sayed to the cop"how did you know"the cop could have said something about her Calling"911"or whatever!

O well,no big deal to me,Great Movie......

it`s a keeper,

ts
Old 11-10-02, 06:06 PM

I, like others here, was practically yelling at the screen for her to blink.
Old 11-15-02, 09:22 PM

well i watched it again and have a couple points,

1,did she give a signal to the cops,i think so...right before she shut the door she rubbed the side of her head...also my wife said she thought she had blood on her hand...i shut down my CRT so i could not confirm the blood

anyway-great flick,

ts
Old 06-03-05, 11:19 PM

I know this is a VERY late response to this movie...

Originally Posted by Palaver
OK. I gotta ask... Why did the cops come back? Did she give a signal that I didn't notice? The film never explains this (that I noticed.)

I was very disappointed by this movie. It's sad when the opening credits are the most interesting aspect of the movie.

I just re-watched that scene (home movie, haven't seen it in a long time... one of those things) because I was trying to figure this same thing out. I know it's late to post this LOL but anyhow, he says to her, you can blink to let us know something and she said to him "like what, that there are people in my house?" or soemthing to that effect... I think THAT was her message to the cop... because HE certainly never mentioned anything like that to her.
Old 06-03-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To me, the most obvious signal she gave was trying so hard not to give him an obvious signal. She acted almost too casual, and I think that clued him in a bit. She did mention the "someone in the house" bit, but to me that was fairly obvious what he was asking about. I don't think they mention in any of the commentaries anything about this scene, so it can be whatever people want it to be, I guess.
Old 06-04-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Donnie Darko
It's not up to the family whether or not he gets arrested and prosecuted, especially when several people died during the crime.