Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

wes anderson is highly overrated...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

wes anderson is highly overrated...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by funkymonk
if he was over rated he would have won a bunch of academys and still i dont think that would be over rating this beautiful film. oh by the way i love tennebaums but haven't seen the other two are they worth blind purchases
Personally, I think if you love RT, you will adore Rushmore. I can't decide which I like better. And both feature the very talented Bill Murray.
Old 07-30-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
If you're looking for an overrated Anderson, his name is Paul Thomas Anderson, and he thinks we're happy to put up with his crap for three hours, so we can see a payoff that doesn't make any sense or tie anything together.
Spoken like a true J6P.

Sorry PTA couldn't stick to standard Hollywood formulas and tie everything up into a nice tidy package for you.
Old 07-30-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Coral

Spoken like a true J6P.

Sorry PTA couldn't stick to standard Hollywood formulas and tie everything up into a nice tidy package for you.
You don't have to be "J6P" to dislike "Magnolia."

Anderson's three hours was bloated, yet there were so many characters that the audience didn't have time to connect with any of them.

The "Save Me" sequence didn't do anything, except remind the audience that the characters were merely narrative devices, in case their one-dimensional nature was not sufficient evidence.

The opening was silly, and the rain of frogs made no sense. It has no metaphorical significance that I could figure out. It is apparently supposed to illustrate the power of strange coincidence to affect people's lives, but the implementation is flawed to say the least.

Guy Ritchie's films do the subject matter more effectively and entertainingly, and with less of the melodrama and "high art" veneer.

Ebert thought the film was "operatic," but I merely found it narcissistic.

Incidentally, Kevin Smith loathes it as well.

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 07-30-02 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-30-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well the real overrated anderson.... Paul anderson... Resident evil =

Old 07-30-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ScandalUMD

Oooh kevin smith loathes a film that is directed well. Surprise Surprise!

:P
Old 07-30-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
well the real overrated anderson.... Paul anderson... Resident evil =

Nobody rates him highly.
Old 07-31-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I disagree with you, I like all of his work so far. I am looking forward to see any of his future work as well. He is a young and creative individual. Cheers Wes Anderson, if you ever read this.
Old 07-31-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sunday Morning

Oooh kevin smith loathes a film that is directed well. Surprise Surprise!

:P
I think both are good, but hey, both have different directions. If it was a kevin smith movie, I'm sure Tom cruise would be outside in public talking to random people about the cock instead of on a tv ad.
Old 07-31-02, 12:07 AM

I hated both Bottle Rocket and Rushmore, Anderson is the most over rated director since Tarantino imo
Old 07-31-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
anyone else think that it's hilarious that someone who calls themself "frat boy" doesn't like wes anderson!
This was going to be my post.

I like offbeat things, and Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors right now. I don't think you are necessarily a coke-swillinggorging J6P if you dislike his movies, but I think most that fit that description do. It's the same reason people listen to Creed and go see "Triple X."
Old 07-31-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cwwallace
I don't think he's overrated. He doesn't receive enough attention from the mainstream press to be overrated. Some like his style of directing and humor, some don't. I think he's awesome.

He's not getting huge budgets for his films either. So, I wouldn't call him overrated.

But then I liked Tenenbaums. Plus I think it's the kind of movie that grows on people.

Now if you wanted to pick on Anderson's Tanenbaums commentary - yikes

Seemed like all he did was talk about set decoration
Old 07-31-02, 02:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by BigStinky

He's not getting huge budgets for his films either. So, I wouldn't call him overrated.

But then I liked Tenenbaums. Plus I think it's the kind of movie that grows on people.

Now if you wanted to pick on Anderson's Tanenbaums commentary - yikes

Seemed like all he did was talk about set decoration
Better than the Rushmore commentary.

"Hi. I'm Wes Anderson, here's the story on this scene." "Hi, I'm Owen Wilson, recorded separately from Wes, here's the same story Wes just told but I don't know he just told it." "Hi, I'm Jason Schwartzman, adding nothing of value." Repeat until the film ends. Blech.
Old 07-31-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's definitely overrated by most of us film geeks on sites like this
Old 07-31-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

not much to add to the discussion, but so far, i haven't gotten into his films much...

seems like they are quirky for the sake of being quirky. i did like Rushmore a bit more than RT though.
Old 07-31-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
The opening was silly, and the rain of frogs made no sense. It has no metaphorical significance that I could figure out. It is apparently supposed to illustrate the power of strange coincidence to affect people's lives, but the implementation is flawed to say the least.
The opening and the rain of frogs made perfect sense.

PTA implemented coincidence realistically, he knew it didn't have to be 100% neat and tidy... just like reality.

Are we supposed to respect the opinion of a director who bases his recent films around dick and fart jokes?
Maybe Smith should concentrate on coming to terms with his own sexuality... because for someone who's supposed to be straight - he sure obsesses alot about gay sex.
Old 07-31-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I would say that while I am not bowled over by Anderson's movies, he has gotten progressively better. I am a huge Owen Wilson fan, I did not like Bottle Rocket at all, thought it was pretty pathetic from a believablility standpoint. Rushmore was better, but I didn't care for the lead character. I did enjoy the ensemble cast in Tennenbaums especially Gene Hackman. Can someone explain to me what the appeal is of Anderson, his films, his directing, the characters and their stories that warrants great acclaim?

Last edited by Jack Straw; 07-31-02 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-31-02, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Coral
The opening and the rain of frogs made perfect sense.

PTA implemented coincidence realistically, he knew it didn't have to be 100% neat and tidy... just like reality.
wow, you said it, so it must be true.
Old 07-31-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by BlondScrnwriter
I was discussing RM and RT with a friend the other day and I truly believe that Wes Anderson is comparable to early Woody Allen. I hate to say "He's the next Woody Allen".
Oh Paaa-leeeeze!!! He's not even in the same cosmos as Woody.
Old 07-31-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Jack Straw
True enough. Woody lives in his own little universe, totally isolated from the rest of humanity.
Old 07-31-02, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Jack Straw
Really. You don't have to Beg.
Old 07-31-02, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
I think you have to be rated quite a bit first to be over-rated, so I would say not he is not over-rated...

That said, I like Rushmore, but didn't care much at all for Bottle Rocket or Tennenbaums.

It's hard to go wrong with a cast like that of Tennenbaums, but it was pretty much 'blah' to me...

Time will tell, it's still early.
Old 08-01-02, 01:09 AM

As Kent Brockman would say, here's my 2 cents:

I love RT, and think it gets better with each viewing. In fact, I think Wes Anderson has gotten better with each film he's done - can't wait for the next one!

I also think the other Anderson (P.T.) has gotten better with each film - can't wait for "Punck-Drunk Love", just saw the trailer yesterday.

ScandalUMD, I assume you meant the "Wise Up" sequence, since "Save Me" was played at the end and into the credits. I thought the "Wise Up" sequence was ambitious and worked brilliantly, and the "rain" was perfect, unexpected, and hilarious.

Oh yeah, I also like Kevin Smith's stuff. In fact, I like all kinds of different films - imagine that!
Old 08-01-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ScandalUMD

You don't have to be "J6P" to dislike "Magnolia."

Anderson's three hours was bloated, yet there were so many characters that the audience didn't have time to connect with any of them.

The "Save Me" sequence didn't do anything, except remind the audience that the characters were merely narrative devices, in case their one-dimensional nature was not sufficient evidence.

Guy Ritchie's films do the subject matter more effectively and entertainingly, and with less of the melodrama and "high art" veneer.

Ebert thought the film was "operatic," but I merely found it narcissistic.

You know, it's ok to have an opinion on a movie, but you make it sound in this post like your opinion is the opinion everybody should have about this film.

And if you want to talk overrated, let's talk about Guy Ritchie and Kevin Smith, two directors you seem to champion in your post. Ritchie has made the same movie twice more or less and even though I liked Snatch ok, I fail to see what the big deal is about him. Ditto Smith. I like Kevin Smith's movies and own them all, but if anybody is overrated around here it is Smith because many of the film geeks here would gladly literally kiss Smith's buttocks.

But that's just my opinion. And my other opinion is Magnolia was a great movie and it comes back to me all the time. I didn't find the characters "one-dimensional" or the movie "bloated." I connected with the characters and thought it was beautifully acted and directed.
Old 08-01-02, 04:00 AM

A film that isn't mainstream but has the potential for being a truly beloved film by those that appreciate great cinema? I instantly hate it!

My poor attempt at a Groucho post.
Old 08-01-02, 09:05 AM

I'd have to say I fall in the category of folks who don't really care either way about Wes Anderson (or Kevin Smith) movies. I can only describe Rushmore and RT as "pointless rambling"...which is exactly what I need sometimes. I only lasted about 50 minutes into Bottle Rocket before having to turn that one off. Just couldn't get into it. When I say I'm more from the Paul Verhoeven (action/sci-fi/gore/sex/violence) school of cinema-goers, that may explain some of it. Mr. Anderson will be happy to know, however, that I am proud to have Rushmore and RT sitting next to my other Criterions. Chasing Amy is there, too, but I haven't forced myself to watch it yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.