Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fellowship Of The Ring extended cut is going to be amazing

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Through innovative means I have just been able to see the preview from disc 2 of the upcoming LOTR:FOTR DVD of the Extended Edition coming in November.

The theatrical version was easily my favorite film of last year and one of my favorite films ever. I wondered if it would indeed be improved by the added scenes. It's totally clear from the preview that a great film will be made even better.

All of the footage just looks completely right--it has the same fine acting, beautiful imagery, and correct tone as the original film which impressed and moved so many people.

We are truly in for a big treat with this new edition. Jackson may humbly state that he was very happy with the 178 minute cut, but I think most everyone will end up preferring this.

It is going to be a long wait.
Old 07-30-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone tell me what the extended scenes are....? Thanks buds!
Old 07-30-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do think it's kind of difficult to judge a cut of the film without actually seeing the film. There's got to be reasons the particular scenes were chosen to be cut. I'm not saying the Extended Cut will be bad or worse than the theatrical cut...I can't say anything of the matter because I haven't seen the new cut.

But neither have you.
Old 07-30-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ahh...I forgot...where would we be without the "no 'subjective anticipatory speculation' allowed on the Movie Board!" rule? We want the facts only!

Old 07-30-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How long was the preview anyway? From your post, it sounds like there was a couple of shots of new scenes and they looked similar to the other shots in the trailer...if they actually show parts of scenes, then that should give you a better idea. I'm envisioning something like the original trailer with just lots of short shots. From my visualization, I think it'd be tough to decide if they longer cut would be good.
Old 07-30-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a significant preview--about 3 minutes, over half of which was dedicated to the new scenes and the rest to interview clips with Jackson, Shore, editor John Gilbert and Elijah Wood with shots of the behind the scenes supplements on discs 3 and 4.

There were sometimes lengthy selections of new dialogue between characters, the pace was not your typical 'hack and sledgehammer' trailer. It gave a real taste of some of the new material, not merely 'hints.'

Of course, one of the good things is the knowledge that there are many things in the extended cut we don't know about yet or only suspect.

If you want to do a search on this or the DVD Talk forum I'm sure you can find the rundown of what some of the new scenes will be.
Old 07-30-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
By the time all 3 movies come out - this is gonna be longer than DUNE.
Old 07-30-02, 02:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Hopefully by the time this disc is released, I will have upgraded my home theatre system to playback DTS-ES 6.1 sound.
Old 07-30-02, 05:54 PM
Banned

Huge thanks to the OneRing.Net for these amazing dvd pics.

http://img-www.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/4333.jpg
http://img-www.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/4330.jpg
http://img-www.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/4329.jpg
http://img-www.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/4324.jpg
http://img-www.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/4327.jpg
http://img-www.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/4328.jpg
http://img-www.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/4326.jpg
http://img-www.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/4323.jpg
http://img-www.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/4321.jpg

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 08-01-02 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-30-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by White Knight
Can someone tell me what the extended scenes are....? Thanks buds!
From dvd.ign.com :

* More time with the Hobbits including a musical number.
* Extra scene further underscores the Hobbits sense of isolation and the growing realization that they can't ignore the outside world for much longer.
* Frodo and Sam POV watching the elves going to the "Undying Land".
* When the Hobbits are sleeping, Frodo is awakened by Aragorn's singing of an elvish tune that foreshadow's his relationship with Arwen.
* More at Rivendell with Aragorn.
* More on the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendel.
* More in the Mines before the cave troll fight.
* Gifting scene ... as the Fellowship leaves, Galadriel gives them each a personalized gift that will end up being critical to their future. Legolas gets a special bow, Sam gets some elvin rope that comes in handy when he faces a giant spider in The Two Towers, and a touching moment between Gimli and Galadriel.

I'll be happy with the theatrical cut.
Old 07-31-02, 10:39 AM

I thought I had read that there is a scene in which the Dwarves awaken the Balrog in their digging of the mines, that will also get restored to the extended version.
Old 07-31-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giles
I thought I had read that there is a scene in which the Dwarves awaken the Balrog in their digging of the mines, that will also get restored to the extended version.
That would be awesome, but I think more likely this is a reference to some 'book material' finding its way back into the film, where Gimli explains as they enter Moria about how and perhaps why communication with Khazad-Dum was lost and why the dwarves were in the mines, etc.

I don't think you're supposed to see the Balrog until you actually see him in the action scene. And Saruman's reference to him is quite enough to foreshadow the event.
Old 07-31-02, 03:48 PM

Thanks Matt!
Old 08-01-02, 11:33 AM
Banned

The trailer for the LOTR Extended cut DVD, which is on August release, is now on the internet!

http://www.warofthering.net/download...trailers.shtml

Scroll down to look for it. You need Real Player!
Old 08-01-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I read that there will be an extension on the battle of Amon hen at the end with more brutality. Allegedly, Lurtz takes the dagger out of his leg then licks the blood!

Also, I heard there was another scene of Gollum acting as a log with eyes. Can anyone tell me when the other one occurred and if it was in the orginal cut?
Old 08-01-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Awesome stuff, can't wait for the DVD.

Thanks for the link Snake!
Old 08-01-02, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

Also, I heard there was another scene of Gollum acting as a log with eyes. Can anyone tell me when the other one occurred and if it was in the orginal cut?
I kept thinking I was going to see this in the theatrical cut since it was a prominent scene in the Bakshi animated version.
Old 08-01-02, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Can anyone tell me when the other one occurred and if it was in the orginal cut?
Both scenes were not in the original cut, but are in the extended version. You can see the new log Gollum scene in the trailer above.
Old 08-05-02, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Jepthah

That would be awesome, but I think more likely this is a reference to some 'book material' finding its way back into the film, where Gimli explains as they enter Moria about how and perhaps why communication with Khazad-Dum was lost and why the dwarves were in the mines, etc.

I don't think you're supposed to see the Balrog until you actually see him in the action scene. And Saruman's reference to him is quite enough to foreshadow the event.
Just picked up a copy of Total DVD and they mention all the scenes getting reinstated for the 'Extended Cut" and they state:

"Exposition is added to the Mines of Moria material, explaining how the Dwarves themselves unleashed the Balrog Durin's Bane that eventually destroyed them"

So I would assume, as you pointed out that additional Gimli dialogue scenes will explain this.
Old 08-06-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am going to go to Kia and do the test drive, so I can get the theater version of the film. And I already have the 4 disc version on pre-order.
Old 08-07-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I am going to go to Kia and do the test drive, so I can get the theater version of the film. And I already have the 4 disc version on pre-order.

What the chance that the Kia dealership will only have copies of the full screen version.....
Old 11-01-02, 08:46 AM

Does anyone know if the theatrical version will be included in the new Extended Cut version?
Old 11-01-02, 09:44 AM

Does anyone know if the theatrical version will be included in the new Extended Cut version?
Old 11-01-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by flashh80
It will not be.. buy both
Old 11-01-02, 10:00 AM

I won a couple of tickets to catch the extended cut digitally projected in Chicago from Moviephone on Tuesday .... wish I could go see it, but I guess it is only a week early.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.