Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Errol Flynn

Old 07-25-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Errol Flynn

Any fans of Errol Flynn here? Some favorites off the top of my head:

The Charge of the Light Brigade
They Died With Their Boots On
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Objective Burma
Desperate Journey
Captain Blood
The Sea Hawk
Gentleman Jim
Dodge City
Rocky Mountain

Just missed Objective Burma on TCM the other day but did see They Died With Their Boots On on my local PBS station recently. Errol Flynn really is "missing in action" when it comes to his presence on DVD. Any word on any of the above or maybe some of his other films coming to DVD?
Old 07-25-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

flixtime,

Welcome to the forum. We discussed Errol Flynn here ( http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=208242 ) a couple months back. If you use the "search" button and look for "Errol Flynn" in the movie forum for the last three months, you'll turn up a few more threads where he was mentioned. If you like classic movies, you may want to resurrect a few of them and add your thoughts.

I watched Objective Burma for the first time the other night. I thought it was pretty slow for the first 45 minutes or so, but then it really picked up. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Here's a list of Errol Flynn movies coming up on TCM for anyone that's interested.
Prince And The Pauper, The / 1937
Errol Flynn, Claude Rains, Billy and Bobby Mauch.
Jul 28 08:00 PM
Captain Blood / 1935
Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone.
Aug 07 08:00 AM
Adventures Of Robin Hood, The / 1938
Aug 12 12:00 AM
Santa Fe Trail/ 1940
Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Raymond Massey.
Sep 10 02:30 AM
Dive Bomber / 1941
Errol Flynn, Fred MacMurray, Alexis Smith.
Sep 21 06:00 AM
Charge Of The Light Brigade, The / 1936
Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, David Niven.
Sep 24 06:00 AM
Dawn Patrol, The / 1938
Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, David Niven.
Sep 24 08:00 AM
Sep 28 04:00 PM
Adventures Of Don Juan / 1949
Errol Flynn, Viveca Lindfors, Alan Hale.
Sep 30 03:30 AM
Edge Of Darkness / 1943
Errol Flynn, Ann Sheridan, Walter Huston.
Oct 08 11:45 PM
Virginia City / 1940
Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, Humphrey Bogart.
Oct 21 06:00 PM
Case Of The Curious Bride, The / 1935
Warren William, Margaret Lindsay, Errol Flynn.
Oct 23 10:00 AM
Oct 28 12:00 PM
Old 07-25-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dimension X, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the link to the recent Errol Flynn thread (good to see I am not alone in being a fan of his). I've been lurking here for a few months but seemed to have missed that thread - or maybe my memory isn't what it used to be.

NOTE TO SELF: remember the "Search" option, remember the "Search" option

Terrific list of Flynn pics coming up on TCM (I guess I had better go pick up some blank videotapes).
Old 07-25-02, 06:39 PM

flixtime,

You're welcome. I don't think that thread spent much time on the front page, so it would have been easy to miss.
Old 07-25-02, 06:45 PM

Welcome flixtime!!!!

It's always great to hear from another fan of classic movies and "The Greatest Action Star In Movie History", Errol Flynn

Please don't just lurk and come on in ~ The water's fine and you'll find quite a few new friends discussing our common interests

BTW: You'll find that Dimension X is always at hand with great information on classic movies
Old 07-25-02, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Vampyr

BTW: You'll find that Dimension X is always at hand with great information on classic movies
Shucks. No more so than yourself, sir. I respectfully defer to our resident "film snob" in all classic movie discussions.

BTW: Exactly, where is Errol Flynn's right hand in that picture. If that were Clinton instead of Reagan, I'd have a guess.
Old 07-25-02, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Dimension X

........Exactly, where is Errol Flynn's right hand in that picture. If that were Clinton instead of Reagan, I'd have a guess.

Oops!!!
Old 07-26-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Vampyr, thank you too for the warm welcome to the forum! I look forward to participating along with you, Dimension X, and the other fine folks here in future threads - hopefully discussing Errol Flynn's movies finally being released on DVD - although I am guessing it will be a long wait.

I've had trouble logging in lately so that is why the late response.

Oh yeah, one more thing....is it my imagination or do I recall correctly that one of the Turner Networks showed a colorized version of They Died With Their Boots On some years ago (when Turner started the controversial colorization of some old films)?
Old 07-26-02, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by flixtime
Vampyr, thank you too for the warm welcome to the forum! I look forward to participating along with you, Dimension X, and the other fine folks here in future threads - hopefully discussing Errol Flynn's movies finally being released on DVD - although I am guessing it will be a long wait.

I've had trouble logging in lately so that is why the late response.

Oh yeah, one more thing....is it my imagination or do I recall correctly that one of the Turner Networks showed a colorized version of They Died With Their Boots On some years ago (when Turner started the controversial colorization of some old films)?
I don't remember if they aired a colorized version.....If they did I doubt it was TCM, as they seem to try and stay as close to the original version as possible.

I'm hoping that they will release a boxed st when they do start putting Flynn on DVD.......the sad thing is that I doubt we'll be seeing his complete movies on DVD for at least 10 - 15 years if ever

BTW: No matter how many times I watch The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), Captain Blood (1935), The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), Against All Flags (1952), etc...I still can't get enough.

Up the riggings, you monkeys! Break out those sails and watch them fill with the wind that's carrying us all to freedom!
Old 07-27-02, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Vampyr, the colorized version of They Died With Their Boots On (if my memory is correct and there actually was a colorized version) would most likely have been on TBS or TNT and would have aired at least a few years ago; I didn't have access to TCM (was it even around that long ago?) back then.

I agree too that Errol Flynn's films have terrific replay value and that is why I would like to see them on DVD. I was hoping for something sooner than your estimate of 10-15 years if ever (that sounds like the same chances of the Red Sox winning a World Series, especially the "if ever" part). I'm not a futurist or anything but in 10-15 years won't I be able to simply have an Errol Flynn movie chip implanted somewhere in my brain and then simply close my eyes to watch his films.
Old 07-27-02, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by flixtime
Vampyr, the colorized version of They Died With Their Boots On (if my memory is correct and there actually was a colorized version) would most likely have been on TBS or TNT and would have aired at least a few years ago; I didn't have access to TCM (was it even around that long ago?) back then.

I agree too that Errol Flynn's films have terrific replay value and that is why I would like to see them on DVD. I was hoping for something sooner than your estimate of 10-15 years if ever (that sounds like the same chances of the Red Sox winning a World Series, especially the "if ever" part). I'm not a futurist or anything but in 10-15 years won't I be able to simply have an Errol Flynn movie chip implanted somewhere in my brain and then simply close my eyes to watch his films.

I meant that it would probably take 10-15 years (if ever) to have all of his movies on DVD. As a DVD collector (and Errol Flynn fan) I would very much like to own a DVD copy of every movie in which he had a role

The good news is that I donít believe weíll be waiting nearly that long to see some of his biggest films come to DVD. Iím hoping that a boxed set with five or six of his major films will be released in a year or so. If I were able to choose six they would be Captain Blood (1935), The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), The Sea Hawk (1940), Gentleman Jim (1942) and Against All Flags (1952). Which six movies would you choose

BTW: Thatís funny about the Red SoxÖÖ.Gee I donít think Iíll live long enough to see his movies released if we have to wait that long

Youíre probably right about either TBS or TNT having played a colorized version of They Died with Their Boots On (1941). It wouldnít be the first time they did such a thing. I seem to recall one of those stations having broadcast a colorized version of Topper Returns (1941) years back. Personally Iím really opposed to colorization.

I'll organize revolt, exact a death for a death, and I'll never rest until every Saxon in this shire can stand up free men and strike a blow for Richard and England.

Old 07-27-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

didnt he like to put paprika on his penis to make it more stimulating for the lady?

sometimes he used salad dressing and ground lamb
Old 07-27-02, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
didnt he like to put paprika on his penis to make it more stimulating for the lady?

sometimes he used salad dressing and ground lamb
Old 07-27-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm quoting a movie
Let's see who knows...
Old 07-27-02, 11:35 AM

I'm quoting a movie
Let's see who knows...

I'm almost afraid to know which movie that's from

It can't be a Flynn movie......Maybe one in which people are talking about him

Old 07-27-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm almost afraid to know which movie that's from

It can't be a Flynn movie......Maybe one in which people are talking about him

yes, and was released in the last 2 years.
Old 07-27-02, 01:39 PM

[B]
Personally Iím really opposed to colorization.
Except in silent movies.

flixtime - I wouldn't be surprised if there was a colorized version. That was back in the day when we hated what Ted Turner did to movies, but supported George Lucas.

Well, I'm not surprised. I just checked under "alternate versions" on IMDb and found this:
Also available in a computer colorized version.
Old 07-27-02, 01:40 PM

yes, and was released in the last 2 years.
Then the chances of me finding the answer are quite slim......I don't like or watch too many current movies. However, after the Mets game I'll be back to try and find the answer

Old 07-27-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Vampyr, regarding an Errol Flynn 6-film boxed set, I'm with you on your first 4 choices:

If I were able to choose six they would be Captain Blood (1935), The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), The Sea Hawk (1940), Gentleman Jim (1942) and Against All Flags (1952).
For the other 2 films, I would like to see They Died With Their Boots On (1941) and Desperate Journey (1942). I like Westerns and War films so that accounts for my preferences.

Dimension X, thanks for the info. on the colorization of They Died With Their Boots On (reassuring to see my memory is still intact). I checked IMDb and saw that The Charge of the Light Brigade and Captain Blood were also colorized. [Stepping into flame retardant suit now] At the risk of alienating the vast majority of film buffs, I have to say colorization, in certain instances, is okay with me. While I believe that colorization would in no way improve a film such as.....Stalag 17 (one of my all-time favorites) and I agree that colorization takes away from an intended "feel" created by the director and/or black & white filming in many films, I also think that a film like They Died With Their Boots On is in some ways improved by colorization. I think the character of Custer played by Flynn is enhanced by colorization as his "against the grain/anti-establishment" mentality stands out even more so in a color version of the film which highlights Custer's light brown leather coat he usually wore as opposed to the standard issue dark blue uniform. Yes, the contract is there in black and white but it is even more pronounced in color and I feel helps the films. I am making any sense? I'd have to see both versions side-by-side but I think - at least in the case of many of Flynn's films - that colorization would be more of a benefit than not.

Anyway, before I dig myself into a deeper hole, has anyone else here been inspired by this thread to at least check out some of Flynn's movies coming up on TCM (as generously posted by Dimension X)? Any comments/suggestions with regards to our discussed Flynn "fantasy" boxed set? I have no clue but anyone with an answer to Sunday Morning's quote and what movie it's from?
Old 07-27-02, 03:48 PM

I would throw They Died With Their Boots On (1941) and Desperate Journey (1942) into the fantasy box set also. They're two of my favorites.

I won't touch the "colorization thing," except to say everyone has their own preferences.

BTW: Yes, you were making sense. I understand what you're saying, and even why you might feel that way. I just don't happen to agree with it.
Old 07-27-02, 04:05 PM

I would throw They Died With Their Boots On (1941) and Desperate Journey (1942) into the fantasy box set also. They're two of my favorites.

I won't touch the "colorization thing," except to say everyone has their own preferences.

BTW: Yes, you were making sense. I understand what you're saying, and even why you might feel that way. I just don't happen to agree with it.
I agree with Dimension X on colorization. As long as I have the choice to see a movie in its original B&W form, I have no problem with others watching a colorized version.

The only way I will ever change this view is if Cameron Spencer Osborne says colorization is better He's almost a "Grand Poet" you know

Old 07-27-02, 04:09 PM

Yeah, but more importantly, what is his position on tinting silent movies?

Edit: This quote from his review of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953) would lead me to believe he is pro colorization.

I'm typically not a fan of black and white movies or any type of b/w programming.

Last edited by Dimension X; 07-27-02 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-27-02, 04:41 PM

Yeah, but more importantly, what is his position on tinting silent movies?

Edit: This quote from his review of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953) would lead me to believe he is pro colorization.

I think you're right......If he were here now I bet he would say that he is "normally opposed to B&W movies being shown in their original color and aspect ratios.......In fact, I'm against aspect ratios in general (although one day i'd like to know what an aspect ratio is).".....Yup! That's what he would say

One thing is clear......He wouldn't like Errol Flynn......A lot of points would be subtracted for his smoking, although it is possible some might be added for Flynn's drinking

BTW: Earlier you pointed out that thing about Errol's hand in that picture with Reagan.......What would you make out of this

Old 07-27-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Captain Blood and Sea Hawk were my favorites many years ago, they are still pretty good IMHO.
Old 07-27-02, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Captain Blood and Sea Hawk were my favorites many years ago, they are still pretty good IMHO.
IMHO your HO is quite a good opinion

I'm sure some of you may like this link:
The Greatest Action Hero In Film History ~ Errol Flynn

Another Link To Errol Flynn

Yes....It's Another Link To The Action Star

Hear Captain Blood Speak Or We'll Run You Through!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.