Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever laughed (alone and) "inappropriately" at a movie theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-04, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In ATOC when Anakin's mother was dying, she says I love...I love...i lost it...my friends look at me and I say you love what? butter! and they all laughed, we got looks. Also when Yoda went all hardcore with the lightsaber, I look at my friends and say "yeah, like that could happen" we all lost it.
Old 05-07-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
During THE JOY LUCK CLUB, a movie I hated but my wife loved, I laughed out loud at the scene where, at a funeral no less, the little girl shatters the pearls given to her by her step-mom. She then growls some expression in Chinese, and I thought the delivery was hilarious.

It was supposed to be an emotional moment, but the damn movie gives us a so-called emotional moment every ten minutes.

During THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE, where Keanu Reeves screams at his client, "Listen to me like you've never listened to anyone else before in your life!" Who writes this stuff!

And during HEAT, when Al Pacino suddenly yells, "show me what you got! Show me what you got!" (Or is it "Give me what you've got?" whatever.) And then he ends the scene with an out of place, "Don't waste my mother f-ing time!"
Old 05-07-04, 01:33 AM

Another couple times was during "Pearl Harbor." The "It's a dud!" scene, and the guys playing cards in the hull part. Then all those parts with the Japanese people talking, my friend (who is Chinese, or as he put it "close enough to comment") yells out "Japanese people don't speak in Haikus!" Later during another part with the Japanese I yelled "Godzilla! Godzilla!" I know, very immature and also racist, but on the other hand most of the theatre cracked up.
Old 05-07-04, 01:48 AM

In Final Destination 2 when
Spoiler:
the little kid dies at the end.

Oh man, I laughed through most of that movie, as was the audience, I guess I got a good group for that movie.

Last edited by ruddiger_718; 05-07-04 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-07-04, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by resinrats
During "Unbrakable". I found it pretty boring so I started MST3K'ing it in my head. Unfortunatly, I started laughing and then couldn't stop. I tried to stop but then I started back up.
This is what gets me in trouble every time: when a movie is so cheesy/boring/hokey/unbelieveable or whatever that I have to start entertaining myself! Invariably some "touching" or serious moment comes along, and I'm still giggling away at my last whispered (if I'm with certain friends) or in-my-head witticism, and people give you such looks, like, "HOW could you LAUGH??".

Best example I can remember: Legends of the Fall, which I saw with one female friend and a guy friend. To the guy's surprise, we two girls were NOT loving the excessive drama (geez, an hours-long soap opera, what a waste of Brad Pitt! ), because it was too much: every time things started to look up for Brad Pitt's character, of course something bad had to happen! It got so we were guessing what would happen next, just to aleviate the boredom, and when we saw the part where Brad Pitt and his new wife run into his brother and Julia Ormond's character, and there's all this touching "Oh, what beautiful children you have, and how pretty your wife is!" sugar oozing all over, I grinned at my friend and said mock-seriously, "Well that's unfortunate, because now she must die." Then the VERY next scene,
Spoiler:
of COURSE Brad Pitt and wife and family are ambushed, and his wife is killed!
We just howled with laughter, the two of us, we couldn't stop laughing, and every OTHER female in the theater is looking at us with tears in their eyes, just soooo sad. We couldn't stop giggling the rest of the movie!
Old 05-07-04, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by Mourn
All of A Knight's Tale
Oh absolutely, me too! I have friends who think it's a sweet love story, but the only way I can stand that movie is to make fun of it the whole way through! Too cheesy!
Old 05-07-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a terrible case of the giggles in Mullholland Drive when the miniature little old couple came out of the little box and started talking like chipmunks (this is how I remember it, it might have grown sillier in my brain having only seen it once and laughing hysterically). We'd been sitting there for so long and trying to figure out what was going on, this was just one step too bizarre and I lost it (laughing in-tears hard).
Old 05-07-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I laughed during Unbreakable. I found the movie boring so I started MST3K'ing it in my head.

When Bruce Willis' wife asks if he cheater on her. I thought "About 50 times" It got me laughing inside so much it started to become audible. It took effort not to really break out.

Another scene has the kid sleeping and Bruce takes a gun down from the closet. I thought: "Not this is a wake up he'll never forget" as I imagined him shooting it off next to the kid's bed. Again, the internal laughing almost broke out.
Old 05-07-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I laughed my butt off when the the beginning of Battlefield earth came on and it lasted the whole movie
Old 05-07-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am surprised nobody here has mentioned Kill Bill (1 and 2). There were quite a few times during both movies I found myself laughing hard at some of the so-called violence then suddenly I would realize the other noises in the theater were people who were disgusted. I especially lost it when
Spoiler:
Uma Thurman ripped out Daryl Hanna's only good eye.
Most of the people were gagging at that scene, but I was buckling over in laughter.

Recently somebody asked me if Kill Bill Volume One was funny, and I said, "YEAH!" Somebody else kind of got on me for that response, so I added, "Well, the violence is rather cartoony, so I don't take it seriously." And I don't see how people can take that movie seriously.
Old 05-07-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by raven56706
I laughed my butt off when the the beginning of Battlefield earth came on and it lasted the whole movie
You sat through it that long???
Old 05-07-04, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
I am surprised nobody here has mentioned Kill Bill (1 and 2). There were quite a few times during both movies I found myself laughing hard at some of the so-called violence then suddenly I would realize the other noises in the theater were people who were disgusted. I especially lost it when
Spoiler:
Most of the people were gagging at that scene, but I was buckling over in laughter.

Recently somebody asked me if Kill Bill Volume One was funny, and I said, "YEAH!" Somebody else kind of got on me for that response, so I added, "Well, the violence is rather cartoony, so I don't take it seriously." And I don't see how people can take that movie seriously.
Maybe i got a really disturbed theater or maybe you got an easily disgusted one, but everyone at both kill bill's was crackin up during a lot of the violence. Especially the yakuza board meeting and the
Spoiler:
eye rip
(all 3 of em)

Last edited by tvpuff; 05-08-04 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-07-04, 10:06 PM

OK, I am kindof new here, and I'm not getting some of these posts. What do the black areas represent?
Old 05-07-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A possible spoiler, as in something that someone might not want to see if they haven't seen the movie in question
Old 05-07-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Puzznic
A possible spoiler, as in something that someone might not want to see if they haven't seen the movie in question
Yeah. To see it, just highlight that text and you'll see what's been typed.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Old 05-08-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
Spoiler:
hell, i and a few other people laughed, gagged and cheered at the same time during that scene.
oh and in episode 2 there is a scene where Anikin is lying in bed and moving around and moaning, and i laughed out loud because it looked and sounded like
Spoiler:
he was gettin a bj from padme
Old 05-08-04, 03:21 PM

At the start of Dawn of the Dead remake...where Ana is running from her zombie boyfriend...she runs into the bathroom and falls into the bath...i laughed

after the movie my friend was like "u laugh at the oddest times in movies" hehe
Old 05-08-04, 05:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
why would you laugh AT a movie theater? who cares what it looks like. what a dumb thread and to go 4 pages...
Bird Pooping
Old 05-08-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In Friday the 13th part 2, a girl is looking for a fellow counseler who is in a wheelchair. She goes UPSTAIRS to find him...

In Friday the 13th part 7, a nerdy girl gets all glammed up in order to impress a guy at the party. It's about 2 in the morning, so naturally the first place she goes to look for him is IN THE WOODS??? Even though she knows that everyone is in the cabin at the party.

Naturally, both of these scenarios led to the murder of the character.

Always left me laughing.
Old 05-08-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the hardest I ever inappropriately laughed in a movie was Friday the 13th, part 7, when Jason picks up the girl in the sleeping bag and repeatedly slams her against the tree. My friend and I were in tears for at least 10 minutes.

More recently, I remember a friend and I going to see Signs, which was absolutely not scary at all, and proceeding to (quietly) crack jokes to each other. Unfortunately, that produced loud, inappropriate laughter throughout a lot of the movie. Especially funny to us, for some reason, was the scene where the aliens were trying to get in the cellar door.