Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

About a Boy: Anybody seen it?/About a Boy: ****/**** (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

About a Boy: Anybody seen it?/About a Boy: ****/**** (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About a Boy: Anybody seen it?

So anybody shoving aside the SW fanboys to go see it? Only showing on 1,200 theaters according to boxofficemojo. (Even Changing Lanes and The New Guy are showing on 2,000+ theaters).

Last edited by Krug; 05-18-02 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-18-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not too bad, I enjoyed it, solid cast of actors, and it had a good message. I give it a grade of B for "Boy" or 3 out of 4 stars.
Old 05-18-02, 11:57 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I liked it a lot, but going into it having read the book, and knowing hugh's type of role, it was as good as I expected it to be.

and I love the soundtrack
Old 05-19-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I liked it a lot, but going into it having read the book, and knowing hugh's type of role, it was as good as I expected it to be.

and I love the soundtrack
I'd never have guessed.
Old 05-19-02, 12:58 AM

I thought "About a Boy" was terrific. Hugh Grant was actually *not* playing a bumbling, perpetually confused man. I daresay I loved him in this film. And that kid...he was brilliant. This was a warm, funny, endearing movie about a couple of boys even though one is 38 I heartily recommend it.
Old 05-19-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted a review thread several weeks ago and here is what mine said.

-Caught a screening of About A Boy, the new Chris and Paul Weitz (Am. Pie) film starring Hugh Grant, Toni Collette and Rachel Weisz.

I forget the young boys name but he's unknown, I think, and he was quite good.

anyway i wasn't really looking forward to seeing this but the fact that it's from Nick Hornby, who wrote High Fidelity, I gave it a chance. Also I looked up the film on the net and found 10 reviews, all of which were positive.

I can see why.

Hugh Grant is a rich bachelor with no job. He's dating a friend of Toni Collette's character which is how he's introduced to her.

She's the boy's mum. She has a lot of problems because they're poor and the dad is not present.

Hugh Grant does some scheming which includes pretending he has children when he doesn't.

Skip through the boy getting picked on, showing up unannounced at Hugh's place etc. ( I don't wanna start telling the whole story here)

Long story short this is written extremely well and the acting is top-notch.

This is absolutely the best I have ever seen Hugh Grant, who I have never been a real big fan of.

The movie splices a lot of humor (I laughed constantly) with some semi-tragic drama and it works.

The movie doesn't have a lot of extra "heartfelt" moments like we usually see in these kind of films.

It does have a few but there kept out of the mush zone.

If you liked Bridget Jones' Diary or High Fidelity then this is probably your cup of tea.

It opens opposite Star Wars on the 16th so this better have some staying power if it wants to make any money.

Although I think Notting Hill went up against the last one.

***1/2 out of ****
absolut enjoyment
Old 05-19-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

probably not.

everyone is out going to see that other 'kid' flick.
Old 05-19-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as well. I had pretty high expectations as I've enjoyed Four Weddings, Bridget Jones's Diary, Notting Hill and High Fidelity, some more than other, but all were definitely entertaining.

Hugh Grant did an amazing job and the kid was great.
Old 05-19-02, 06:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I haven't seen this yet, but really want to. I was considering seeing this over Ep II.
Old 05-19-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

one hell of an interesting movie summer.
and it isn't even memorial day, yet.
Old 05-19-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i am glad to hear that this is good. i was considering going to see it indstead of SWII as i can't stand huge crowds but i didn't actually make it. hopefully i will have some time this week to see both.
Old 05-19-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
I haven't seen this yet, but really want to. I was considering seeing this over Ep II.
I saw this instead of AOTC, because the digital projection showing was sold out.

I had planned to see it, but was truly impressed with Hugh's performance and the movie overall. Definitely ***1/2 stars and creeping towards ****.
Old 05-19-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The distributors were very confident if they dared to release it anywhere near AOTC. I predict it's going to have great legs and will end up a summer sleeper hit.
Old 05-19-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to check this out as well. Hugh Grant is pretty cool IMO.
Old 05-19-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, on Thursday I was reminding myself to go see this movie on Friday. Friday came, and I saw EP2 DLP instead, but told myself to remember to see it on Saturday. I just now (from seeing the thread) am reminded to go see it! Goldernitalltoheck!
Old 05-19-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this movie as well, thanks for the review
Old 05-19-02, 11:57 PM

Yeah I'm still kicking myself. I got a free preview screening pass to "About A Boy" from work about a month ago and didn't end up going cause I hadn't heard anything about it. Then I start to see the commercials for it and it looks great. Now I'm gonna have to pay to go see it. Blah.
Old 05-20-02, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this last week and I have to say it was great. I laughed most of the way through. I didn't think it it would be a big hit in the US but I'm encouraged by the positive feed back in this thread. Go and see it.
Old 05-20-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i just saw it last nite with my gf. we both laughed for a good part of the movie. it was big slow in the beginning but picked up as soon as hugh and the boy meet. before seeing the movie, i had no idea that chris and paul weitz were the directors but now i'm thoroughly impressed with them. the movie had some great storytelling.
Old 05-20-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is my favourite flick so far this year!!!!

It was funny, touching without being sappy and just well done. Highly entertaining and delightful to watch. I was totally blown away...from the director's of American Pie! Who would have thought!

*****/*****

MATT

GO SEE ABOUT A BOY... NOW!!!!!
Old 05-20-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I give "About a Boy" about a C. Hugh Grant was more likeable and charming than ever, but I had a tough time going along with the story. I found the "message" of the film quite insulting -- there is absolutely nothing wrong in trying to be an "island", or the life Will leads (until he starts lying). I'm tired of films which purport that there's something wrong with you if you don't like children or commitments. I found Will absolutely refreshing in the beginning because he knew exactly who he was with no qualms about it. It ended up being too much of a soft-hearted, mush of a movie, but what did I expect?
Old 05-20-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by tofubomb
i had no idea that chris and paul weitz were the directors but now i'm thoroughly impressed with them.
Go watch Down to Earth, it'll remedy that feeling...

Nontheless, I did like About a Boy.
Old 05-21-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rkndkn
I'm tired of films which purport that there's something wrong with you if you don't like children or commitments. I found Will absolutely refreshing in the beginning because he knew exactly who he was with no qualms about it. It ended up being too much of a soft-hearted, mush of a movie, but what did I expect?
Well, I think part of it was, that in fact, since he had NO JOB as well, he was an island...but an island of nothing. There was nothing in his life but superficial things, he had no passion.

I don't think you need children or a committed relationship to be a good person, but passion is something everyone needs. If it's a job you love, or a hobby that you care about, something that drives you. Will didn't have any of this... well anyhow, too bad you didn't like it as much as I did, but i guess that's showbiz

MATT

i didn't think this was half as mushy or soft hearted as most of these feel good finding yourself flicks...
Old 05-21-02, 09:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I really enjoyed "About a Boy", although the movie moved quite briskley, my friend who had read the book said there was definately more story, am curious to see if any deleted scenes will surface for the eventual DVD release.
Old 05-24-02, 12:21 PM

I finally saw About a Boy last night. I thought it was terrific - 9/10. Very funny in parts, yet the serious side of relationships were handled well too. Hugh Grant did a great job. His relationship with Marcus was very well done.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.