DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   About a Boy: Anybody seen it?/About a Boy: ****/**** (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/208706-about-boy-anybody-seen-about-boy-%2A%2A%2A%2A-%2A%2A%2A%2A-merged.html)

Frank TJ Mackey 05-25-02 02:59 AM

I saw it for free but I will definitely be going back paying to see it a second time.

Hugh Grant's character isn't really unlikeable in ABOUT A BOY he's just a good-looking, rich loser. (if that makes any sense).

Plus, most guys have fear of committment, at least at first, with women. So I don't think the film is bashing that.

SaintMax 05-26-02 01:47 AM

Can't add too much to what's been said; saw it tonight since Insomnia was sold out[!], and have to saw it's a witty, endearing film. Very recommended - don't pass this one by!

Static Cling 05-27-02 12:12 AM

Two more :up: for About A Boy from me. And I'm a Star Wars fanboy, too... but I do enjoy a good "chick flick" now and then. :D

Hugh Grant... not playing a fop? THANK YOU! It's not that I don't like Hugh Grant As Fop... it's just been done to death.

I love that the story was told from two points of view... Will's (Grant's character) and the boy's. It would've been okay from just Will's perspective, but adding the boy's perspective was really nice, especially considering Will's monologue about "The Will Show."

I wasn't a huge fan of "High Fidelity" (another movie made from a book by the same author), but this one gives me hope. I may give the book a try.

Venus 05-27-02 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I saw it for free but I will definitely be going back paying to see it a second time.

Hugh Grant's character isn't really unlikeable in ABOUT A BOY he's just a good-looking, rich loser. (if that makes any sense).

Plus, most guys have fear of committment, at least at first, with women. So I don't think the film is bashing that.

Did you go to the premiere on Michigan Ave.? I went with passes I received in this forum from Marie Claire magazine. It was a great movie. Very funny. A must see!

WiccanPagan 01-16-03 12:38 AM

[ressurection, since it is better than adding a new thread]
after looking at the dvd's production notes i see that the book it is based on is by the same author as high fidelity (which i also have and fancy equally), i don't recall the title of the other book that he wrote, but does anyone know what it is, whether it is a movie, and if it is worth a grain of salt?

raKim 01-16-03 12:47 AM

Fever Pitch, and it is becoming a movie with production to start this year

About a Boy, Excellent movie, purchasing tomorrow on Amazon (hint hint)

wendersfan 01-16-03 11:11 AM

Originally posted by raKim
Fever Pitch, and it is becoming a movie with production to start this year

About a Boy, Excellent movie, purchasing tomorrow on Amazon (hint hint)

Fever Pitch has already been made into a movie, starring Colin Firth, who BTW is a friend of Mr. Hornby's.

Nick Hornby has also written a third novel, entitled "How To Be Good", edited a collection of short stories, and at least one or two collections of football writings for the fanzine "When Saturday Comes".

sherm42 01-16-03 11:16 AM

In addition, he has also just released a new book titled Songbook full of essays on his favorite songs. It also includes a CD.

Songbook

raKim 01-16-03 12:52 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
Fever Pitch has already been made into a movie, starring Colin Firth, who BTW is a friend of Mr. Hornby's.

Nick Hornby has also written a third novel, entitled "How To Be Good", edited a collection of short stories, and at least one or two collections of football writings for the fanzine "When Saturday Comes".

well it would seem they are remaking it
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0332047

WiccanPagan 01-16-03 02:02 PM

Originally posted by raKim
well it would seem they are remaking it
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0332047

imdb lists 4 titles of fever pitch and the one you are referring to has no information on it at all. it may be a completely different movie or may never go into production.

as for the current firth film, i will check it out, thank you.

Frank TJ Mackey 01-17-03 02:28 AM

It may be my favorite film of 2002.

Wonderfully acted, written and directed.

**** out of ****

Daytripper 01-17-03 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
It may be my favorite film of 2002.

Wonderfully acted, written and directed.

**** out of ****

Good taste Frank! It *is* my favorite.

Geofferson 01-19-03 05:06 PM

Just finished watching the DVD (my first time seeing the movie) and absolutely loved it!

***1/2 out of 4

:up:

WiccanPagan 01-19-03 05:16 PM

question: what is the song when
Spoiler:
will is running to stop marcus from singing?

The Bus 09-05-03 06:39 AM

I picked up the DVD when it came out and didn't get a chance to see it until last night -- a pleasant surprise, much better than I thought it would be. I laughed out loud a few times.

Edited to add: I want to see it again, I keep thinking of funny stuff throughout the day.

Frank TJ Mackey 09-05-03 05:51 PM

It was one of the best films of last year.

The American Pie brothers completely redeemed themselves
for the Chris Rock/Warren Beatty remake crap they did.

Hugh Grant and the entire cast are terrific and the script is
outstanding.

Funny and touching.

PenguinJoe 02-22-14 10:14 PM

Re: About a Boy: Anybody seen it?/About a Boy: ****/**** (merged)

The TV show is horrible.