Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

has someone ever spoiled the ending to you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

has someone ever spoiled the ending to you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-03, 10:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thankfully, I saw Sixth Sense opening night, not knowing anything about it other than it had ghosts. Same thing with The Others.

Fight Club and The Usual Suspects were spoiled to me, because when they first came out I wasn't really interested in seeing them, so I didn't care when people told me the twists.

I recently an upcoming film sort of spoiled to me thanks to Aint-It-Cool-News' discussion of how if one watches its trailer closely, they can catch the twist.
Old 01-12-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was watching an epsiode of MAD TV and one of their skits involved this geek selling movie tickets and this one woman wanted to see "The Others" but he kept suggesting she see "Shrek." So at the end of the skit he yells out the ending of "The Others" so she would go see "Shrek." At the time I wasn't sure if it was the real ending until I saw the movie on DVD. I was so pissed.
Old 01-12-03, 09:05 PM

Some ******* on Usenet posted the secret of THE OTHERS when it first came out, in a message header so it was unavoidable.

I don't understand why people consider Kevin Spacey's appearance in SEVEN a spoiler.
Old 05-10-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by starfish
Some ******* on Usenet posted the secret of THE OTHERS when it first came out, in a message header so it was unavoidable.

I don't understand why people consider
Spoiler:
Kevin Spacey's appearance
in SEVEN a spoiler.
because, this person was a reletive unknown to the general public, and he was not in the credits at all until the very end.
Old 05-11-04, 12:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
This always happens to me when people at work discuss a movie and I haven't seen it yet, especially since I loathe going to theaters and usually wait for the DVD. Since I'm stuck at my desk I just have to stick my fingers in my ear!

Also I've learned to be careful reading forums due to idiots who think it's funny to intentionally spoil movies by putting the gimmick right in the subject line so you can't miss it when browsing a forum. This just happened to me on Rotten Tomatoes for an upcoming summer movie...argh!
Old 05-11-04, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Originally posted by xraybies
This always happens to me when people at work discuss a movie and I haven't seen it yet, especially since I loathe going to theaters and usually wait for the DVD. Since I'm stuck at my desk I just have to stick my fingers in my ear!

Also I've learned to be careful reading forums due to idiots who think it's funny to intentionally spoil movies by putting the gimmick right in the subject line so you can't miss it when browsing a forum. This just happened to me on Rotten Tomatoes for an upcoming summer movie...argh!
This is why for the six months prior to a star wars film, I quit the internet cold turkey.
Old 05-11-04, 07:30 AM

When I was in college, "Scream" was playing on campus, and I was going with a couple of my friends. As soon as I was about to step out the door, one of my roommates blurted out:
Spoiler:
Man, I was shocked that there were two killers!

I turned around, took off my coat, and went to sleep.
Old 05-11-04, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by tdirgins
In my family, my uncle is quite the movie historian (1930's-1970's).
Unfortunately, when you are watching one of these flicks, he'll walk in the room and say something like,

"This is the one where Tarzan wrestles the crocodile and then saves Jane from the angry tribe for trespassing on ancient burial grounds."

We have coined a term for this:

THANKS, JOHN.
a-hem.

Old 05-11-04, 09:37 AM

My mother acually told me the end of Citizen Kane
Old 05-11-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nathan Lane did a skit on Letterman that spoiled the end of Sixth Sense. What a dumbass.
Old 05-11-04, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Somebody absolutely ruined the end of Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes for me:
Spoiler:
It was Tim Burton. Come to think of it, he ruined the begining and the middle of the movie, too.

When I was 9, Return of the Jedi came out. Being an over-eager 9 year old, I couldn't wait to see it, so I read the novelization before I saw the movie. I then proceeded to ruin the movie for my family by telling them that
Spoiler:
Darth Vader dies and the Empire builds a new Death Star, which gets blown up.

My wife refuses to watch Citizen Kane because she knows the secret of Rosebud, and no matter how hard I try, I can't convince her that it's a great movie regardless, and the secret isn't really the point.
Old 05-11-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read an interview of Robin Williams in EW the day that I was going to see Insomnia. Williams gave away the ending, that rat bastard!
Old 05-11-04, 04:44 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not the ending, but an hour before I went to see Deep Blue Sea someone who had already went had the nerve to say something along the lines of
Spoiler:
"You'll be totally surprised by the way they kill off Samuel L. Jackson! It'll catch you off guard because it happens early in the movie!"
Well not anymore, *******!

Another thing I hate is when someone (or a review) tells me beforehand "It's got a real twist ending!!!" After I hear that I subconciously keep my eye open for the "surprise" and usually catch it. I'm so glad I saw The Sixth Sense on opening day.

Last edited by DRG; 05-11-04 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-11-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
yes. this is why I avoid the movie forum for the most part and won't read any threads about a movie until after I've seen it. I didn't even read the track names from the Episode 2 soundtrack until after I saw it since the Episode 1 one spoiled the ending
Old 05-11-04, 06:59 PM

This is kinda OT... but damn, this thread was resurrected after over a year, with the last post before 5/10/4 dating back to January of '03.

Interesting thread though....so good job Rypro 525.
Old 05-12-04, 04:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I accidentally ruined the ending of The Sixth Sense for my sister. She was headed out to see it opening weekend and I asked her where she was going and she told me so we talked a bit about the movie (I had no intention of seeing it) and at some point like a moron I just said wouldn't it be cool if
Spoiler:
Bruce Willis was dead all along?
I knew nothing about the movie other than "I see dead people" so I was just making a dumb comment (I thought)

Needless to say when she got back she wasn't too happy with me. On the flip side I gave her an experience watching that movie that very few people have probably had. I didn't give it away in knowledge that it was the ending, so she didn't know I was right.....but she said that throughout the movie she was looking for anything that would disprove my theory.

Also, that bastard Jay-Z ruined The Usual Suspects for me. I never saw it in the theater and pretty much didn't know anything about it. But Jay-Z had to re-create the ending for one of his videos. I didn't even know it was from a movie but when I watched The Usual Suspects for the first time, it wasn't hard to figure out
Old 05-12-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 131 Posts
A friend of mine ruined "The Game" (Sean Penn Michael Douglas) for me - to this day I wonder how much better it would have been if the bastard didn't give the ending away.

Spoiler:
"Man it's great, you figure out at the end that it was all a game"

F****** idiot.
Old 05-12-04, 12:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I can't really relate to any of this, since I don't mind spoilers. I find it helps to get into the mindset of what you're about to see.

Coming into a film cold is a very special experience (one we don't get very often today), but it also creates trouble when you can't get a hold on the mood of the film. Sometimes I prefer to know what's coming so I can enjoy the picture.
Old 05-12-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
I can't really relate to any of this, since I don't mind spoilers. I find it helps to get into the mindset of what you're about to see.

Coming into a film cold is a very special experience (one we don't get very often today), but it also creates trouble when you can't get a hold on the mood of the film. Sometimes I prefer to know what's coming so I can enjoy the picture.
Even if they tell you the ending of a film before you see it?

what about certain parts that would wow you a lot more if you didn't know about them before hand?

I mean if that's your thing cool, but me personally, I would be pissed beyond belief if this happened to me often.
Old 05-12-04, 01:32 PM
Suspended

Doesn't really matter to me. I like to read the last chapter of books and watch last chapter of movies first (thank you for DVDs, except god damn mulholland dr.). Tell me everything, I promise I won't bitch slap you like all the anal retentive people.
Old 05-12-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a jackass as a kid. I'd walk out of a theater and tell people waiting in line the ending. I remember walking by going, "Darth Vader is Luke's father!!"

I'd like to go back in time and kick my own ass! I don't like spoilers at all now. Since I don't go to the theatre much and rely on DVD, sometimes it's hard. Sixth Sense was a movie I avoided knowing anything about at all costs.
Old 02-04-07, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

sorry to bump an old thread at 3 am et but what the hell.
Blair Witch Project, as many of you know there was a big campaign about how it was all real and shit, and the fact that the movie takes place in maryland has a big intrest in me and my family. So we go opening night, shitty lowes valley cetner 9 theater, there was a big line to get into the movie. When the showing before ours ends, a bunch of people were saying out loud
Spoiler:
go back, this movie sucks, the story is a fake
so that kind of ruined the expireince.
Old 02-04-07, 02:18 AM

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,146 Posts
I love how people were upset about that. ^ What sort of snuff film were they expecting?

My college prof, God bless him, completely spoiled Blood Diamond last week. I told him, "Terry, your class needs to come with spoiler warnings in the syllabus." It's not the first time he's done that sort of thing.

The youth group I work with would not shut up about the "twist" at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Thanks, kids.
Old 02-04-07, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 251 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by costanza187
The Others, that made me mad.
This movie was so predictable you can guess the twist half way through.
Old 02-04-07, 07:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My friend spoiled Miami Vice for me by telling me how it completely sucked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.