Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DONNIE DARKO -- Disussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

DONNIE DARKO -- Disussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Shonn
Didn't see this mentioned, when Donnie and Gretchen go to the movies the sign shows Evil Dead and The Last Temptation of Christ. The Last Temtation of Christ is obviously not a Halloween movie, so I took it as the director either hinting at it all being a dream, like in Last Temptation, or that Donnie would soon realize that the world would be better off with him sacrificing himself.
The movie takes place in October of 1988...
Old 01-11-03, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read dozens of threads on this movie on various forums, and it almost seems like people enjoy talking and arguing about this movie more than any other movie I have encountered

personally I like to think that the movie deals with 2 parallel demensions, and by some divine intervention donnie is guided thru a very specific path through life and is given a choice

the only thing I don't get is why was he chosen, I suppose if the majority of the movie was a dream it would make perfect sense, but then the movie wouldn't be nearly as interesting

as for frank still being alive, I think its fairly obvious this is the case, in the montage near the end of the movie you see everyone sleeping, and patrick swayze's character crying, you see frank sleeping and touching his face where he was shot

Last edited by ArchibaldTuttle; 01-11-03 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally watched this movie last night and had the same feeling of confusion as many others did. I think I understand everything well enough now except for one thing. This has been mentioned by others, but I haven't seen any answers or theories on it.

Spoiler:

The whole movie is set into motion by Frank saving Donnie from the plane engine. WHY did he save him only to lead him through the same set of events which cause the engine to crash down in the first place? If Frank just left Donnie alone, none of the other events would have ever taken place. In fact, "Bunny Frank" wouldn't exist at all since Donnie wouldn't have been alive to kill him. It just doesn't make sense!!
Old 01-21-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
I think Frank ultimately gives Donnie the choice: Do you sacrifice yourself so that his g-friend would be alive, or do you go on living realizing that she's dead and you just killed someone?

There are plot holes in this movie, yes, but compared to a lot of trash Hollywood has been putting out recently, I'd rather re-watch this over and over again on Friday night then to waste my money on Kangaroo Jack...
Old 02-03-03, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I finally watched this movie last night and had the same feeling of confusion as many others did. I think I understand everything well enough now except for one thing. This has been mentioned by others, but I haven't seen any answers or theories on it.

Spoiler:

The whole movie is set into motion by Frank saving Donnie from the plane engine. WHY did he save him only to lead him through the same set of events which cause the engine to crash down in the first place? If Frank just left Donnie alone, none of the other events would have ever taken place. In fact, "Bunny Frank" wouldn't exist at all since Donnie wouldn't have been alive to kill him. It just doesn't make sense!!
OUCH! Thanks, jeraden, I never thought about it like this! Gotta watch it again right now (thinking about all this thoughts pointed out in this thread)

btw, thanks e1 for raving about this movie!
best blind buy I ever did.
a truly originally scripted movie. (very rare these days)
Old 02-03-03, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by troystiffler
The movie takes place in October of 1988...

But the theater's sign says "Halloween Frightmare Double Feature" with those two movies being Evil Dead and The Last Temptaion of Christ. I wouldn't have classified The Last Temptation of Christ as a "Halloween Frightmare" film.
Old 02-03-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People put too much effort in trying to get Donnie Darko to "make sense". Time-travel films will always leave us with endless debates, because they're theoretical. We don't know what happens when you travel in time. To expect a film to lay it out like Dragnet is asking a bit much. There are many well-loved films more rooted in "reality" that contain worse transgressions against logic.

In fact, Donnie Darko does particularly well in managing an intricate series of causes and effects. I never felt during the film that the characters were being manipulated towards an end. How many times have we thrown up our hands when a character does something stupid or out-of-character in order to drive a plot forward? Especially in horror/sci-fi/fantasy films. But the characters in Donnie Darko act out of their nature, making the events plausible and significant.

Still, Donnie doesn't understand where events are taking him, and neither do we. There are forces at work beyond our understanding (beyond Frank and beyond Roberta Sparrow as well - they might be just tools). A movie doesn't have to answer all our questions. Some exist just to contemplate the mysterious or unknowable- e.g. 2001 A Space Odyssey.

At the end of Donnie Darko, I didn't feel cheated, and I didn't think the director lazy. I was glad he made a picture as rich and imaginative as he did. I've seen a lot of movies, and they don't keep me guessing anymore. Between Donnie Darko and Audition, my faith in film's ability to astound and astonish was restored last year.

But reading this thread is like watching a movie with a 6 year old -"Why did this happen?", "Why did that happen?" Just relax and enjoy the movie. It's a journey, not a destination, and "figuring it out" isn't going to add to the enjoyment of it. There's more humility, humor, and general wonderment at the ways of the universe in Donnie Darko than in most films by directors twice the age of Richard Kelly. So give him props and move on. Or read "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" if you really need to know more about quantum physics and the uncertainty principle...

Anyway, here's my reading of the ending:

Spoiler:

The events in the film are not a dream, but an alternate reality. At the end, Donnie does travel back in time. He's been searching for "the portal" as directed by Frank and in the book by Roberta Sparrow. He finds it at the mountain range. How does he know where to find it? It doesn't matter. Mysticism, instinct, whatever.

Saying it happened "all in a dream" is reading too much into it. I thought the time travel angle was evident and obvious.

He travels back to the night of the plane crash, sacrificing himself so that his lover can live. Romantic, isn't it?

By the way, did anyone catch the homage to Kieslowski's Blue at the end? Kieslowski's Blue/White/Red is a great series of films about chance, choice and fate.

Last edited by ehonauer; 02-03-03 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-01-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now wait a minute, I just watched this movie and this is what I took from the movie:

Spoiler:
Frank was actually doing Donnie a favor by extending his life - it allowed Frank to meet Gretchen, court her and have sex, something that Frank wasn't going to do in the "correct timeline" because he should have died that day

Of course, the talk about spaceships is this:

Spoiler:
Donnie uses the plane to travel backward in space. This is made clear by Noah Wyline telling Donnie that he needed some type of vessel to make the travel.

Of course, the paradox in this (and this isn't reconciled - but it can't be due to time travel problems)

Spoiler:
If Donnie hadn't gotten up in the first place, the engine would have never fallen because he wouldn't need to commandeer the plane but it seems the view of time travel is that you cannot change the past - i.e. you cannot stop the engine falling no matter what you do because Donnie has to get back using the plane. Donnie is no superhero, he is just trying to right the wrongs he created by first listening to Frank.
Old 03-08-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Can someone please explain Donnie Darko to me?

I watched it last night. I didn't understand it all that well. Apprently the key is to be on drugs at the time of it's viewing.

Anyone want explain it briefly to me? Was all the stuff he was seeing just in his head? Did it even happen? What was the significance of the airline engine? Help please!
Old 03-08-03, 04:03 PM

I suggest looking at the full text of "The Philosophy of Time Travel". You only get to glance at it in the movie, but on the DVD or on the web, you can find the full text.

It becomes much clearer after reading that.
Old 03-08-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
A DVD Talk legend should surely know how to search

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=193421

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=188320

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=228428

hope those help

Last edited by The Antipodean; 03-08-03 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-08-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I did a search for Donnie Darko, but I used the search at the bottom. I guess I should've used the full search feature.
Old 03-08-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

man, I still need to pick this up. only saw it on cable.
Old 03-08-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
man, I still need to pick this up. only saw it on cable.
After the last price drop, it's cheap too. I picked up mine at BB sometime ago for $10.
Old 03-08-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is one of my top movies ever. The first time I watched it I didnt get too much. Imediately after my friend and I were on the net for about 3 hours or so reading all kinds of stuff on it. I have seen this movie at least 12 times since then and every time I find a new meaning or event in the movie. Many, many diffferent layers here.

It was fun to see this at the Berkeley theater's midnight showing. The sold out fan base was really into it. One of my best movie going experiences ever...im just glad I had seen it before that showing.
Old 06-22-03, 01:17 AM

Donnie Darko

Just finished this movie, and i must say it was amazing...
Old 06-22-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

This is a fantastic movie, definitely. There's some really interesting discussion threads going on hereabouts that you might want to check into...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=299675
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=193421
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=188320
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=228428

Enjoy!
Old 06-22-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i dont get it.
Old 06-22-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by atari2600
i dont get it.
Fortunately, you have access to all those threads listed in the posting directly above yours, assuming your reply concerns the movie.

(If your reply is about something else, well, you're on your own. )
Old 06-22-03, 01:58 PM

Saw this movie long time ago, actually tried to seek it out in the theaters. Got it on DVD first day of release knowing it would be good, still was not prepared for how utterly-frickintastic this movie was.

Just takes a movie like this one every ten years to renew my faith in cinema as an art form.
Old 06-22-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bought this dvd a month or so ago and this thread reminded me to go and watch it. Like most people, I was pleasantly surprised and reading through the other threads helped me gain more appreciation for the movie.
Old 06-22-03, 10:06 PM

yeah, it was a great movie. I had my own interpretation before reading some of the threads, but reading them gave me several other ways to look at this movie.
Old 07-07-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It made absolutely no sense to me. I was really eager to see this movie because so many had praised it. I was incredibly disappointed.
Old 08-24-03, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would tack onto this already existing one.
Just listened to the one of the commentaries and was surprised to find out that the movie theatre scene was originally evisioned showing C.H.U.D.; Evil Dead was used instead because Sam Raimi let them use it for free.
I thought it was used as more of the indications of what was going on. Pondering the odd choice of movies for a double-feature, Evil Dead and The Last Temptation of Christ, I realized that Evil Dead had the clock-stopping, time distortion bit (the very scene they showed in the theatre) and Last Temptation was about an alternate reality. I thought it was pretty clever of them to do that, then to find out it was supposed to be C.H.U.D.?!?
So, was this fortuitous or intentionally making the best of what they could get?
Old 08-24-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I havent seen this and Im really afraid to. Every non-movie fan person I talk to seems to just love this movie. Im afraid its gonna be one of those J6P indie movies that every person thinks they discovered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.