DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Which Type of DVD Fan Rubs You the Wrong Way? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/164791-type-dvd-fan-rubs-you-wrong-way.html)

kefrank 12-05-02 01:48 PM

to expand on what Wendersfan said...

-- personal enjoyment of a film is predominantly subjective (though there is some objectivity involved).

-- appreciation of film as art is predominantly objective (though there is some subjectivity involved).

clearly not everyone cares about the latter, but it is perfectly valid for someone to do both.

in order to have a reasonable discussion about the merits of a film, there has to be some common ground among those discussing it, aka objective criteria. check out bordwell and thompson's book "Film Art" for a lengthier discussion on this. they suggest that there are four basic objective criteria by which we can evaluate film: coherence, complexity, intensity of effect, and originality. i tend to subscribe to this. many of the films i've enjoyed most don't rank among the highest rated when i consider them according the objective criteria, but i still have no problem counting them among my personal favorites.

wendersfan 12-05-02 02:59 PM

Originally posted by kefrank

-- appreciation of film as art is predominantly objective (though there is some subjectivity involved).

clearly not everyone cares about the latter, but it is perfectly valid for someone to do both.

There is also the matter of what the viewer personally thinks film "should" achieve. Is it primarily a visual medium with narrative elements, or is it a narrative art told visually? Should film be "of" its world, or independent? Personally I feel that film is (and should be) a political art form, e.g. Modern Times or Bicycle Thieves, but I'm not entirely comfortable forcing that view on others, so, while I personally prefer Dr. Strangelove to 2001: A Space Odyssey, I am willing to concede the latter may be objectively "superior", whatever that means.

darkhawk 03-18-05 09:08 AM

I hate it when people start complaining about classic movie and leaving the INTERMISSION on the dvd. That was part of the movie. If you don't want it skip to the next chapter. It's almost no different than one movie on 2 disks like The Godfather II or the new Gone With the Wind

fumanstan 03-18-05 09:29 AM

Wow, holy old thread bump!

Number 1 easily, i'm probably the 3rd one myself :)

slop101 03-18-05 10:02 AM

I'm totally the 3rd one also.

But the kinds of movie fans I can't stand are the closed-minded types. Let me explain.

I was recently at a resort where a movie was shown every night, and one of the selections was Pedro Almodovar's "All About My Mother," which involves transgendered characters. "Why," a woman asked me, "would they show a movie with things I do not want to see?" She is not unusual. Most people choose movies that provide exactly what they expect, and tell them things they already know. Others are more curious. We are put on this planet only once, and to limit ourselves to the familiar is a crime against our minds.

Charlie Goose 03-18-05 12:24 PM

Haven't read any of the posts in the thread, so maybe it's already been said, but I vote for the hidden option: Anyone who gives a shit what DVDs I own.

Filmmaker 03-18-05 01:41 PM

Damn, hello old friend...glad to see the fans like me still have the lowest votes... :)

UAIOE 03-18-05 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BizRodian
- OAR advocats who get pissy when an old movie isn't remixed into 5.1, I find that hypocritcal. I am an OAR advocate, and I prefer films in their original sound too (unless a director approves the new sound or something.)

DING DING DING!!!

A WINNER IS YOU!

jpdude 03-18-05 11:43 PM

The ones i can't stand are people that put down any commercially successful, or mainstream, film and only talk up the cult favorites, the classics, the Criterion Collection, etc. They want to be in an "elite" class, like it's cool or something to diss the mainstream and only like the obscure titles and/or foreign films.

I'm just an avg moviegoer, and i'm not going to try to be some film critic that wouldn't know what the public wanted to see if it bit him in the ass. As others have previously stated in this thread, too many forget that it's not meant to be much more than entertainment.

Oh, and i wouldn't know edge enhancement if i saw it. I totally agree with a previous poster on that one.

jaeufraser 03-19-05 12:39 AM

The only type of DVD person who annoys me is the one who feels they should insult or put down those who don't agree with their taste. Whether it's proclaiming the superiority of foregin films, art films, or claiming Michael Bay is a great filmmaker, I don't care. If you own Speed 2 next to Citizen Kane, good for you. But if you call me an idiot because I didn't enjoy Citizen Kane, or stupid because I did enjoy Congo, then I don't like you. Respect my opinion, and I don't care what you like to watch and I'll respect yours.

Cygnet74 03-19-05 02:33 AM

rotfl this thread is full of posts putting down people like me because we have little interest in mainstream films and look for something other than entertainment to satisfy our passion for cinema. nice. :lol: on behalf of the "elitists", let me say for the record, we are not critical of you, the fans of the mainstream. we are critical of the films themselves. hugs?

FinkPish 03-19-05 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
The only type of DVD person who annoys me is the one who feels they should insult or put down those who don't agree with their taste. Whether it's proclaiming the superiority of foregin films, art films, or claiming Michael Bay is a great filmmaker, I don't care. If you own Speed 2 next to Citizen Kane, good for you. But if you call me an idiot because I didn't enjoy Citizen Kane, or stupid because I did enjoy Congo, then I don't like you. Respect my opinion, and I don't care what you like to watch and I'll respect yours.

:thumbsup:Exactly. This whole thread just seems like an indirect way for people to lash out at those who they hate(via the internet:rolleyes: ), without actually having to personally attacking anyone.

jpdude 03-19-05 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
hugs?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...smiley_hug.gif

sure, why not! all better now?

story 03-19-05 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by exConn
Not every movie has to be Schindler's List.

Er, why not? Why can't every movie be really good? I don't get that.

The DVD collector I can't stand is the person who collects DVDs, not movies. The person who has 500 DVDs because they were really cheap and they had coupons and remember the Reel.com days and this one is a classic and I'm sure I'll watch it someday but not really but my goodness don't I own a lot of DVDs I am just the DV-Fucking-D KING!

I don't like those DVD collectors. Since we're asking.

Buy movies you like. Don't buy DVDs just to own DVDs.

caligulathegod 03-21-05 02:03 AM

It's been a while since I've seen these people, but the ones who buy movies they hate just because it has cool packaging or great extras. Seems like when I first joined this site it was more prevalent.

Iron_Giant 03-21-05 04:16 AM

People who have no life at all beyond DVDs and complain about everyone esle who do not like what they like.

Giles 03-21-05 08:50 AM

wow - haha I fall under every catagory listed.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Whats wrong with this? Am I misundertanding this? Whats wrong with liking classics like Citizen Kane and Apocolypse Now but also liking Speed 2 and The Postman?

I agree, sans Citizen Kane, the other three I have in my DVD collection.

Originally Posted by raithen

Do we really need a 5.1 or DTS mix of Lawrence Of Arabia?

-matt

sure why not, the film was theatrically released in 70mm with 6-track sound to begin with.. ;)

Originally Posted by THORN

anyone who purches a non-OAR film should be drug out in the street and have both there eyes burned out with a red hot poker

you try that at the Tenleytown Best Buy and the DVD fullscreen crowd will turn on you.