Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

OK, so WHY do you hate The English Patient?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

OK, so WHY do you hate The English Patient?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-03, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, so WHY do you hate The English Patient?

Originally posted by garmonbozia
lol, your welcome! and since you made me laugh, I'll apologize for my crankiness earlier!
Thanks again.
Old 01-27-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't care for the Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas characters. I don't find a married woman cheating on her husband to be very romantic. Juliette Binoche and the Indian soldier's love story was more romantic to me and kept me from outright hating this movie. It was very beautifully filmed, but definitely not oscar worthy.
Old 01-27-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the movie, especially any scene with Juliette Binoche in it (particularly the scene where she is bouncing on a rope with a torch, part of the love story of her with the Indian soldier).

Of course, I only watched it once, and that was a long time ago. I have no real desire to see it again, though it's worth watching at least once.
Old 01-27-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-27-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-27-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been known to enter a many English Patient debate, but I'll refrain from reprising all of my complaints...

As it has been said, I couldn't care about these characters... the only one I had the slightest bit of interest in was J. Binoche's nurse... and by that time, my opinion had already been formed. While beautiful, the exquisite cinematography can only play a small role when you don't care about the foreground action.

The argument against me is always "...but it was so romantic..." For many people, when I try to explain that when you feel the characters are disingenous and unlikable, it's very hard to care about their romance, it never seems to be an adequate explanation.

People dislike Magnolia because they don't care about the characters - they're not good people. While this is true, I found the characters in Magnolia to be inherently fascinating. They were never portrayed to be anything but (to simplify) bad people. We weren't supposed to like them... we were supposed to be intrigued by them. EP wanted us to care... and I simply didn't...

...but there just seems to be something about Minghella's direction that rubs me the wrong way. Many aspects of The Talented Mr. Ripley impressed me (character development, cinematography and script included), but I ultimately wanted the movie to end very badly. By midpoint, I had simply had enough.

...and while I didn't laugh, I definitely thought of Mr. Gill Man during those scenes in The English Patient.
Old 01-27-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Why I HATE The English Patient

Originally posted by CheapBastid
I couldn't get past the fact that they were scuzzy adulterous a-holes.
HAHAHAHA! Couldn't have said it better myself. Summed up perfectly why I HATED this movie.