Community
Search

One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patlabor DVDs

Well, looks like we lost a few posts. I was enjoying the Gasaraki and Patlabor discussion. Anyway, somebody asked about the Patlabor TV DVDs. I think the question was if the OAV episodes would be on the discs? So far, just the TV episodes are being released. Today I went over to http://www.animeondvd.com and guess what I saw? They are listing the street date for the first Patlabor TV DVD as 8/14 with 5 episodes per disc. If it doesn't sell well, we probably won't see any more. CPM is deciding the fate of the TV series DVD release on how well the first disc sells. So don't forget to buy one!!
Old 04-25-01, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Oh crap - you're right - we lost a bunch of posts... dammit. I hated that "new" forum software anyway - this is better... don't change stuff.
Old 04-25-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was an announcement at the top of the boards about the switch back. Apparently their servers couldn't handle the new software.
Old 04-25-01, 12:13 PM

As I said again, I want money to buy the R2. I saw this series raw when it first came out. Will watch it again raw if I can get my hands on the Japanese R2 DVDs of Patlabor. I want everything.

Need more money...must have money...
Old 04-26-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A rep from Bandai posted some news in the http://www.animeondvd.com forum today. He listed some details about the upcoming Gundam 8th MS Team DVDs. They are going to be the first of their DVD releases to come with alternate DVD covers. He also said the episodes would be uncut. I'm looking forward to seeing this series on DVD. Here's the link to the post he made. http://64.226.255.69/dcforum/DCForumID1/293.html
Old 04-26-01, 04:59 PM

That is very interesting. This is a great OVA series from what I hear. However, I still find it that you must know the Gundam universe to really appreciate this series, and we are getting more than the Japanese DVDs. Amazing...

I believe this is an off-shoot storyline, rather than an Alternate Universe, meaning the writer for 08th MS Team bought the rights from Toshiyuki Tomino to use the Gundam name and universe. Kinda like 0080 and 0083 are.

I just hope we are not going to be treated like the Japanese LDs of this series, with only one episode per LD (with 12 LDs, that includes the special). That was painful to look at because each LD disk was like $50-60 U.S. So ugh...

Old 04-26-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want some Gundam series info, I'd suggest this site, http://www.gundamproject.com/. It's got anything you would ever need to know about Gundam. I haven't seen 8th MS Team yet either, but I know it's set during the same time as the original series. The upcoming releases section at http://www.animeondvd.com lists at least 3 DVDs for 8th MS Team. Of course the last one listed comes out in November, so I'm not sure if there is one after that. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere though, that it's 3 or 4 DVDs. Gundam 0080 and 0083 are also scheduled to come out this year. Everything they are releasing this year is set in the original UC(Universal Century) timeline.

Now the only problem is getting them to release the original Mobile Suit Gundam subtitled. As it is now, the Japanese won't give them the Japanese track for the original series. They haven't released it in Japan yet, so they are scared of Japanese importing the US version and not buying the Japanese version when it comes out. So it will be coming out dub-only this year. Ugh.
Old 04-27-01, 06:28 PM

Sunrise will not give Bandai, U.S., the rights to Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (aka First Gundam, here in the states). I hear never is the "keyword". But then again, who knows? (shrug)

All I do know is that the 25th Anniversary is coming in 2 more years, year 2003, will mark the 25th Anniversary of the Gundam Series. I believe this is when Sunrise will release the original series in three boxsets (my speculation) of the 40-some episodes, for the R2 DVD. Probably after this is out, Bandai, U.S., will finally get the rights to the Japanese track?? (shrug)

So, I figure MS 08th Team is an off-shoot series if it follows the UC timeline. SO it isn't an alternate series. That's good. I will pick this one up because it is always interesting to watch Gundam.

(More ways for Bandai Japan to sell their toys. )
Old 04-27-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know if there are any plans to sell Neon Genesis Evangelion in a box set? I realize the series isn't finished yet, but from what I've read here, it sounds like an anime I would like (I like mecha animes). Thanks!
Old 04-27-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Eigeman
Sunrise will not give Bandai, U.S., the rights to Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (aka First Gundam, here in the states). I hear never is the "keyword". But then again, who knows? (shrug)
That's sorta true, I guess. Bandai, U.S. is releasing Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 to DVD this year, but dub-only. Or is this what you were saying? The first disc comes out sometime in August, I believe. They were trying to get it on CN also. I don't know if they ever finished that deal or not. I think CN is interested in just about anything Gundam. I have the 3 compilation movies that took the original TV series and crammed them into movies, so I have a pretty good grasp of the universe. I'd really like to see the series, but I'm not going to buy a dub-only version. I can wait.

The only thing I own dub-only is Starblazers, but that's kind of a nostalgia thing. The movies are way better. Good old cheesy sci-fi

Old 04-27-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

immortal_zeus - So far there has been no indication of a boxset for NGE. The series should be completely on DVD by June. I won't say there won't be, but ADV hasn't said anything about one. With my luck they'll announce a boxset as soon as I own all the discs. Just like Cowboy Bebop. Damn Bandai.
Old 04-30-01, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody know what "Moldiver Perfect Collection DVD" is about? What's this show like? I'm curious. ^_^
Old 04-30-01, 01:10 PM

Luckily, if ADV Films does do a boxset for NGE, it won't be limited edition like it is in Japan. Japan R2 DVD of NGE are limited edition boxsets. There are 3 boxsets in all that spans the whole 26 episodes plus the two movies. Each boxset is limited to 5000 boxes, so they go rather quickly and they are quite expensive at about 21500Yen (or close to $180 per boxset). But I hear the NGE TV episodes are only the TV eps shown on TV w/o the special re-edited version of episodes 21-24 that compliment the movies. ADV Films also owns the original and not the re-edits. So the only way to watch the re-edits is to buy the original DVDs from Japan (that do not come in the boxset).

---

Trigger,

Moldiver is a parody of the comic-book genre, where you take a normal geeky guy with technological ingenuity to make a super suit which can only be warped onto the body if naked. He battles against the evil scientist and his evil women fiends in battle suits. The geeky guy has a sister who "borrows" his technology by mistake, and she herself first transforms into "Moldiver" (the male version), but after she finds out and has her brother fix it so it will give her a female suit instead of a male's. It's a 6-episode OVA series and it's quite funny, albeit old. Great to laugh and have fun with.
Old 05-01-01, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Moldiver DVD has dubtitles. Which get very annoying because they identify who is speaking. I guess Pioneer didn't want to resub the series for DVD. I wasn't too impressed with the series.

Old 05-03-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Akira Collector's Tin

There is a picture of the Limited Edition Akira Tin. Looks pretty sweet. It's got a second disc full of extras. I'm not the biggest Akira fan, but I'm gonna be ordering this one. The tin is limited to the first 75,000 sets, then it will be in a normal case.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/356.html

Old 05-04-01, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Akira Collector's Tin

Originally posted by Ghym
There is a picture of the Limited Edition Akira Tin. Looks pretty sweet. It's got a second disc full of extras. I'm not the biggest Akira fan, but I'm gonna be ordering this one. The tin is limited to the first 75,000 sets, then it will be in a normal case.

Thanks - I'm totally getting one. It looks like a hinged Tin case - not like the ones from anchor bay that have a lid. It also looks smaller - more like the size of a keep case. I'm still going to get one though. I hope it stands on end.
Old 05-04-01, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Akira Collector's Tin

Originally posted by Ghym

Thanks Ghym. You should start a thread with this post. A lot of people probably miss this news buried in this thread.
Old 05-04-01, 09:55 PM

Wow ... I second that ... definitely should start a new thread. Didn't even know Akira was coming to DVD o_O May is chock full of healthy anime servings ... can't make those Amazon GC's fast enough -_-;

On a different note - what has been going on with the pre-orders lately? A lot of titles that are soon to be released or are already released - Nightwalker Volume I and Angel Sanctuary to name a few particulars - are missing from many e-tailers o_O Amazon.com has Nightwalker Volume II on pre-order but no Volume I (which has already been released!), and many places - Amazon and Express included - don't have Angel Sanctuary on pre-order ... which is due out in July. Not to mention the multitude of incomplete titles or awkward spellings that make certain anime titles hard to search for.

Sigh. Well, that's enough ranting for a day ^_^; I should be studying for those SAT II's I'm taking tomorrow ...