Hundreds Held Hostage in Russia School

Old 09-01-04, 04:06 AM

Hundreds Held Hostage in Russia School

Europe - AP--2 minutes ago

JIM HEINTZ, Associated Press Writer MOSCOW - More than a dozen attackers carrying guns and reportedly wrapped in suicide-bomb belts seized an elementary school in the Russian region of North Ossetia Wednesday morning and were holding hundreds of hostages, including some 200 children.

The seizure took place on the first day of the Russian school year, just after a ceremony marking the start of classes. The attackers drove up in a covered truck of a type often used for troop transport. North Ossetia border with warring Chechnya.
articlecontinueshere

Old 09-01-04, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definitely not a good thing.
Old 09-01-04, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

wow, they've taken themselves to a new low.

I guess russia can't use the same tactics as at the theater here...well they could, maybe they've improved the gas.

at this world
Old 09-01-04, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

how's this not top news on cnn.com or foxnews.com
Old 09-01-04, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The "Religion of Peace" strikes again ...
Old 09-01-04, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

this barely has to do with religion.

its people wanting "freedom" or more likely power
Old 09-01-04, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Venusian
this barely has to do with religion.

its people wanting "freedom" or more likely power

Yep. The militants are claiming to want direct talks with Murat Zyazikov, the president of Ingushetia. This apparently, and somewhat surprisingly, has little to do with the situation in South Ossetia, whose President has left for the North to aid in the situation, and Georgia.

Old 09-01-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the article:

The hostage-takers at the school demanded the release of fighters detained over a series of attacks on police facilities in neighboring Ingushetia in June...A militant Muslim web site published a statement claiming responsibility for the bombing on behalf of the "Islambouli Brigades," a group that also claimed responsibility for the airliner crashes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe there is a link to religion... these aren't neighborhood friends that are trying to release their old high school buddies....
Old 09-01-04, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by BradJ
From the article:

The hostage-takers at the school demanded the release of fighters detained over a series of attacks on police facilities in neighboring Ingushetia in June...A militant Muslim web site published a statement claiming responsibility for the bombing on behalf of the "Islambouli Brigades," a group that also claimed responsibility for the airliner crashes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe there is a link to religion... these aren't neighborhood friends that are trying to release their old high school buddies....

Perhaps, but only as a subtext. It it wasn't religion, it would be some other excuse.
Old 09-01-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

no these are terrorists who want control over a piece of land. they are fighting for power. they realized that most of the other people that support them share a religion so they figure if they add the religious name to it, they'll get backing from others. It worked. now (some) muslims everywhere support them atleast in word.

similar situation in N. Ireland with Protestants against Catholics. its not about religion, its about power
Old 09-01-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20040901_399.html

At one point, a girl of about age 7 in a floral print dress and a red bow in her hair streaked around a corner apparently after fleeing from the school, followed by an older woman. Russian news reports said about 50 students managed to escape, some after hiding in the school's boiler room during the raid.

first off, elementary kids shouldnt have to think of ways ot escape terrorists

secondly, the stupid terrorists got out smarted by elementary kids
Old 09-01-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This sounds like a TOY SOLDIER-type situation.

But seriously, this is awful and I hope those students and the faculty make it out alive. Now the motherfuckers who took them hostage - I hope they die a slow, painful death.
Old 09-01-04, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the ABC article mentions they took a hospital in 95. i dont remember that but guess i was young. Russia did their thing and ended it but not before killings 100 of their own. At first it would look like a good solution, the terorrists dont win. but it hasnt stopped them yet
Old 09-01-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For religion, for power, for what-the-hell-ever, this bullshit is in no way whatsoever defensible.

I read the AP article just before coming here, and it just makes me sick. I say use the gas they used in the theater, but then, I bet the terrorists, or rebels, or freedom fighters, or whatever you choose to call them, probably got wise and have gas masks this time. How can I defend the use of the gas when so many hostages died in the theater? Well, at least they have more of a chance of surviving the gas than the victims of the plane 'crashes' last week, or the subway station blast.

In any event, fuck these bastards straight to hell. There is no honor in or justification for taking a school hostage.
Old 09-01-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pharoh
Perhaps, but only as a subtext. It it wasn't religion, it would be some other excuse.
Interesting statement, and to an extent, I agree...

But it isn't "some other excuse", it's religion... now, whether or not their connection is justified, they are still banding together behind the umbrella of Islam. Even if it is a weak connection used for nothing more than credibility, perception is reality. Since there exists an albeit weak connection, that connection is what joins them... and therefore, my statement stands... The "Religion of Peace" strikes again.

If they were attacking children, using them as human shields on the windows of the school, on behalf of redheads, it would be different...

... and by no means am I suggesting that Muslims are alone in their insanity... Christian fundamentalists and their abortion clinic bombings... Catholic fundamentalists and the ongoing war vs. the I.R.A.... Jewish fundamentalists and, uh, um...?

- Brad
- Catholic (sort of)
Old 09-01-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i wasn't trying to defend these people in any way. i just think its too easy to blame is on islam or religion in general. these people are crazy and they want power. they found an easy way to get followers is to elicit a common bond among the people and they found the bond that works in this case is religion
Old 09-01-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, Venusian, I didn't mean to imply that you were defending them... I didn't get that at all. I just see their religion as more of a unifying factor among all of the various attacks, especially lately...

news.yahoo.com has some video of the russian military taking up positions around the school... crazy stuff...
Old 09-01-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Current News:

FoxNews: 8 Hostages are dead

CNN: 7 Hostages are dead

The terrorists are threatening to detonate the school if the police enter the building.
Old 09-01-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Simply sad and disgusting. I can't imagine how this is going to end peacefully.
Old 09-01-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy carp. This sucks.
Old 09-01-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Taking an elementary school.

Wow.

Just.... just wow.

It takes a real man to strike out... against children.
Old 09-01-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unbelievable.
Old 09-01-04, 11:42 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
This kind of cowardy behavior makes me want to advocate killing every one of the terrorists' family members.
Old 09-01-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
wasn't the reason the gas killed so many due to the russian military wanting ot keep the gas a secret and not telling the EMS guys how to neutralize it?

Originally posted by Venusian
wow, they've taken themselves to a new low.

I guess russia can't use the same tactics as at the theater here...well they could, maybe they've improved the gas.

at this world
Old 09-01-04, 12:18 PM

The identities of the kidnappers remain unknown. Negotiations are underway, including Leonid Roshal offering his services.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.