Tidal Waves Kill More Than 120,000 in Asia

Community
Search

Tidal Waves Kill More Than 120,000 in Asia

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 02:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was said the animals knew it was coming and got the hell out of there.
Old 12-29-04, 02:17 PM
Banned

sheeeesshh...... talk about stingy

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...i_041228233542
Old 12-29-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 422 Likes on 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Duran
I'm not picking on Bush because he's Bush. It's no secret that I don't care for him, but that has nothing to do with my opinions on this issue. I don't care who the President is. I want him to lead. Yes, the actual aid is very important - but don't discount the leadership factor. If Bush had gone on TV and asked the American public to donate funds, do you think that would have had an effect?
And since the Pres actually did make a statement from Crawford, the only grip left is should it have been sooner. IMHO, I like the fact that the statement was well thought out and he had enough information to answer some questions. To me it rings more true then simply popping out the minute it happens and reading of some meaningless generic statement.
Old 12-29-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Myster X
You know, it is interesting how you measure how much to give. Evidently the whole UN thing got started as the UN compares how much you give to the GNP of the country doing the giving. It seems to me a more accurate and fair way to measure would be the percentage given by a coutry to the total amount given (or needed) by all countries.
Old 12-29-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One item from a newspaper article said that "hundreds" of fishermen were missing off of the coast of, I believe, India. What I don't understand is that out at see the tidal wave was only a foot or two high, though traveling at a high rate of speed (500 mph?). I wouldn't think that a 1 or 2 foot high wave would knock over a boat, but I'm apparently wrong since so many are missing.

Are there any reports from survivors of fishing boats or other boats that were hit by these small, but fast, waves on the ocean?
Old 12-29-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat
One item from a newspaper article said that "hundreds" of fishermen were missing off of the coast of, I believe, India. What I don't understand is that out at see the tidal wave was only a foot or two high, though traveling at a high rate of speed (500 mph?). I wouldn't think that a 1 or 2 foot high wave would knock over a boat, but I'm apparently wrong since so many are missing.

Are there any reports from survivors of fishing boats or other boats that were hit by these small, but fast, waves on the ocean?
I would think if they were small fishing boats they were probably not far off shore and thus they would be effected. I'm not sure how far off shore you would have to be, but based on how bad this is, I'm guess you had to be pretty far out to really "ride it out". How deep the water is would also play a role, as the wave get high as the ocean floor rises up to the land.
Old 12-29-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by nevermind
Well you took care of all the dial-up arguers, that's for sure
Old 12-29-04, 03:18 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would a strategically placed nuclear device detonated deep off shore cause a catastrophe like this? Would anyone even know for sure if an attack was made this way?

Do you think any governments are concerned about how to cause/prevent such an attack in the future?
Old 12-29-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I thought it was said the animals knew it was coming and got the hell out of there.
That was the speculation because nobody can come up with a better idea. I just thought it was pretty amazing that they haven't found any animals, sixth sense or not.
Old 12-29-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Would a strategically placed nuclear device detonated deep off shore cause a catastrophe like this? Would anyone even know for sure if an attack was made this way?

Do you think any governments are concerned about how to cause/prevent such an attack in the future?
That would be a major waste of a nuclear weapon when it could do a whole lot more damage on land. Though I think you just laid out the plot for this season of 24!
Old 12-29-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts
Well, you'd think the fish would know.

Old 12-29-04, 03:36 PM
Banned

Would a strategically placed nuclear device detonated deep off shore cause a catastrophe like this?
No, no nukes that big exist. It's questionable whether existing nuclear bomb designs could be made big enough to produce that kind of energy release.

This quake was of 9.0 magnitude on the Richter scale (source: USGS). The amount of energy it released is roughly equivalent to converting 220 pounds of mass into pure energy (e=mc^2 and all that).

That's way, way, way the hell more than any existing nuke can do. It's roughly the amount of energy consumed by the US in a month. It's enough to boil 1300 gallons of water for every man, woman, and child on the planet. The Earth's moment of inertia is thought to have actually been decreased a bit by this blast.

This thing is tied for the 4th largest quake since 1900. It was a monster.
Old 12-29-04, 03:40 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Roto
That would be a major waste of a nuclear weapon when it could do a whole lot more damage on land. Though I think you just laid out the plot for this season of 24!
Well if it was done by some sub out in the deep ocean, a government could do this to another country without declaring open war. Say one of those fancy new Chinese subs doing this to New York.
Old 12-29-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
The only man made way this could happen would be to launch a bunch of metal/garbage in to space and then crash it into the ocean.
Old 12-29-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone forgot to tell this cow.

Old 12-29-04, 04:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Duran/Giantrobo, other members would like for the two of you to each take deep breath and just ignore each other for a while.
Old 12-29-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would think there would be residual radiation if some one did that.

I vaguely remember a movie or a book with the plot of someone trying place nuclear device in the San Andreas fault in California to trigger a catastrophic earthquake.
Old 12-29-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Manco
I would think there would be residual radiation if some one did that.

I vaguely remember a movie or a book with the plot of someone trying place nuclear device in the San Andreas fault in California to trigger a catastrophic earthquake.

I think that was Superman.
Old 12-29-04, 07:08 PM

Here we go again with the conspiracy theories someone has been listening to the Art Bell/George Nouri radio show again there are some real wacko's who call into that show and point the finger of blame at Bush for this mess but then again that comes as no suprise to me.
Old 12-29-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I thought he used his powers for truth, justice, and the American way.
Old 12-29-04, 07:18 PM
Banned

as of 5:20PM PST Total Collected: $3,011,242.89

Amazon.com
Old 12-29-04, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
james bond I think

some of the people on the island said the waves might have been as a high as 60 feet.............
Old 12-29-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hate that it is to late for this time, but at least "they" are getting right on it (this is only part of the article).

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science...eut/index.html

U.N.: Asia tsunami alert system by end 2005

GENEVA, Switzerland (Reuters) -- A tsunami early alert system, which could have saved thousands of lives around the Indian Ocean this week, should be in place in South and Southeast Asia within a year, a U.N. official said on Wednesday.

The technology to detect undersea earthquakes, such as the one off Indonesia that unleashed Sunday's devastating waves, is used elsewhere and could be shared with vulnerable coastal communities in the region, said Salvano Briceno, head of a United Nations' disaster agency.

"I want to see that every coastal country around South Asia and Southeast Asia has at least a basic but effective tsunami warning system in place by this time next year," the director of the U.N.'s International Strategy for Disaster Reduction said in a statement.
Old 12-29-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check with your employers -- many of them do employee matching.

I'm going to donate some money that will be matched dollar for dollar to a charity.
Old 12-29-04, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Hate that it is to late for this time, but at least "they" are getting right on it (this is only part of the article).

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science...eut/index.html

U.N.: Asia tsunami alert system by end 2005

GENEVA, Switzerland (Reuters) -- A tsunami early alert system, which could have saved thousands of lives around the Indian Ocean this week, should be in place in South and Southeast Asia within a year, a U.N. official said on Wednesday.

The technology to detect undersea earthquakes, such as the one off Indonesia that unleashed Sunday's devastating waves, is used elsewhere and could be shared with vulnerable coastal communities in the region, said Salvano Briceno, head of a United Nations' disaster agency.

"I want to see that every coastal country around South Asia and Southeast Asia has at least a basic but effective tsunami warning system in place by this time next year," the director of the U.N.'s International Strategy for Disaster Reduction said in a statement.
Question where is the money going to come from? To build and maintain this system? Since tsunami's are not very comon in South and Southeast Asia.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.