Situation: Parents asking 4 rent, BUT.....

Old 10-15-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Situation: Parents asking 4 rent, BUT.....

I have a situation that I need to get opinions on.
I (25 in May) live at home with my parents. My younger brother (20 next July) also lives here. I finally got a career going (less than 2 months ago) and looking to buy a house towards the end of next year when my 1 year probation is up at work. Well, my parents (mainly my dad) is now saying I should pay rent to live with them. I wouldn't mind paying rent IF:

1) My younger brother has not had a job in months!! My mom gives him $$ for gas and pays his car insurance every month. ...a few months ago they made him get his own insurance because his driving record was messing up their insurance.

2) I have to share a room (12 X 10) with my brother (bunkbeds)

So, my question is: Is it fair that I pay rent just because I am making decent $$ now when my younger brother turns down jobs just because he doesn't want to do that kind of work? .....I do sometimes buy groceries and just clean up in general around the house.

Any thoughts on this?

PS <> I'm thinking about telling them (my dad) when mom stops giving Jason money and paying his insurance I'll be glad to pay each month.

BTW >> My parents make pretty good $$
Old 10-15-02, 03:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus

You're almost 25. Lucky you didn't get thrown out 7 years ago. Depending on how much they want, I'd either pay it or move out. The rent would have to be pretty cheap for a 12x10.

Originally posted by LX98Civic
BTW >> My parents make pretty good $$
Sounds like it's a subtle way to make you move without kicking you out.
Old 10-15-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it fair? You're been freeloading, and you don't think it's fair that they're not going to let you continue freeloading?

Precisely because you've got a job, it makes sense for you to pull your share of the weight.

25 and you're still in a bunk bed Personally I would go out get an apartment and put off buying the house for a little while (unless you think you can get your parents to help you w/ the house loan).
DVD Talk God

You're 25. It is not unreasonable for your parents to demand some money. Cough it up.

There is a big difference btwn 20 & 25. Your parents being well-off is irrelavent.
Old 10-15-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're 25 and live at home, pay rent. Otherwise you're a mooch. Keeping in mind that you share a room w/bunkbeds when negotiating rent. Has Dad mentioned any specific amount?

Personally, I think it's fair. You're doing well and while you're there you can afford to help out financially. Don't get bogged down into everything about your brother, exact ages aside, keep in mind that he's 5 years younger than the age they're asking you to pay rent at. You can complain about it when he's 25 and still not paying rent.

If my kid was 25, had a good job, lived at home and refused to pay rent I'd evict his ass out onto the lawn. Either pay rent to your parents, or pay rent to a landlord.
Old 10-15-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by renaldow

If my kid was 25, had a good job, lived at home and refused to pay rent I'd evict his ass out onto the lawn.

Old 10-15-02, 03:43 PM

I would tell them that you are trying to save enough money for a down payment for a house. Make sure they understand that you would get an apartment, but you don't want to piss your money away paying a landlord and not getting anything for it. They will understand that you want to get a home that will gain equity.

Find out how much rent money they would want. I think given them some money is waranted. I'm sure 100 bucks a month would be a good start.

You should also kick your brothers ass. Tell him to get a JOB! Minimum wage is still Money. If anything he could start paying rent also.
Old 10-15-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nemein
25 and you're still in a bunk bed Personally I would go out get an apartment and put off buying the house for a little while (unless you think you can get your parents to help you w/ the house loan).
I know I will be able to get a brand new 3brd 2 bath house next year. I (yes by myself) was approved for one with my last job when I was 21 and married. Just backed out because I had a bad feeling about my now ex-wife.......

I don't want an apartment because you don't get anything out of it and for about the same price I can get a house ($750).

I'm thinking $100 a month at most to live here in this situation.
I do believe I should pay rent, BUT why me and not my brother who gets $$ thrown at him

It's going to be like this: I pay $100 and then mom pays $160 for his insurance and then gives him probably $10 a week for gas
Old 10-15-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is your parents' home, they can do whatever they want wrt you, and whatever they want wrt your brother. It doesn't have to be fair, if you don't like it, you are free to move out.

If they are charging you less rent than you would pay if you were living on your own, be grateful that they are willing to help you out. If they are trying to charge you more rent than you would have to pay elsewhere, then go elsewhere and pay less than they want to charge you.

Take the reins, buckaroo! You've got a long ride ahead of you, might as well learn how to handle the horse!
Old 10-15-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Time to pay up. Think of it as a warm up to making house payments.
Old 10-15-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be a man. Pay some rent. Buy your own groceries. Thank your parents.
If your brother's a schlub there is no reason you need to be as well.
mini
PS: Let your parents tell you how much rent they want. If it is too much, tell them about your house idea. If they won't back down, move out and realize you will have to add a year or 2 to your house expectations.
Old 10-15-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by alarican
I would tell them that you are trying to save enough money for a down payment for a house. Make sure they understand that you would get an apartment, but you don't want to piss your money away paying a landlord and not getting anything for it. They will understand that you want to get a home that will gain equity.

I tell them that often, "I am trying to save for when I move out next year". I guess it's one of those, believe it when I see it things. But, I am dead serious! I absolutely have started to HATE living here with all the BS!!

I may just do like my brother does:

Dad: Get out and find a job today!!

Jason: Ok.

-------------------------------------------------

Dad: Start paying some rent $$ or get out!!

Me: Ok. >>>and just leave it at that until he really starts talking $$
Old 10-15-02, 03:49 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
They're not being unfair, and you should deal with them in relation to your situation and not bring your brother into this. It sounds like you're in a position to be able to handle this, and your brother won't be when they do the same to him (and they will, eventually) if he doesn't get off his rear end.
Old 10-15-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let your parents deal with your brother. You can afford it, pay them. (sorry)
Old 10-15-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

step up man. don't compare yourself to your brother. if they want an unreasonable (in your opinion) amount for rent than go somewhere else. you are 25 and living at home...that's at least 5 years too long anyway. the free ride is over.
Old 10-15-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Daddy, why does Jason get to stay up until 11:00pm? It's not fair, i want to stay up until 11:00pm too.
Old 10-15-02, 03:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally posted by vapoRware
Daddy, why does Jason get to stay up until 11:00pm? It's not fair, i want to stay up until 11:00pm too.
vaporWare isn't sympathetic in this case? Would would have thought.
Old 10-15-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by vapoRware
It's not even like that!

"Daddy"?? .....can't remember the last time I called him that

This is what I am going to tell them next time brought up:
Why don't I just pay Jason's car insurance?
Old 10-15-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Your brother is irrelevant. Don't bring him into it.

Pay rent.

Now, if there is a room you can use yourself, ask if you can pay rent and move into that room for yourself vs. sharing one.
Old 10-15-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Originally posted by LX98Civic
It's not even like that!

"Daddy"?? .....can't remember the last time I called him that

This is what I am going to tell them next time brought up:
Why don't I just pay Jason's car insurance?
You are way too obsessed with your brother and fairness.

Drop him from the equation and then look at the situation.

He is not your concern, he is your parent's concern.
Old 10-15-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Holy cow man. Step away from your mother's breast and get out of the house. YOU ARE 25 AND SHARING A ROOM WITH A BUNKBED!!!!
Old 10-15-02, 03:59 PM
Banned

How much are they asking for?
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you just recently moved back in with your parents?

I'd say they deserve to get some money for you living there, especially since you have a job now and can afford to give them some. Sounds like you spend a lot of money on your car(s) so they probably figure if you can spent it on cars you could give them some also. If you're old enough to have been married, have a kid, and a career job you can pay some rent IMO.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Seeker
Your brother is irrelevant. Don't bring him into it.

Pay rent.

Now, if there is a room you can use yourself, ask if you can pay rent and move into that room for yourself vs. sharing one.
I had a room here, but went to FL last year to try and get something going while living with my older brother and his family. Come back 9 months later because there are no decent jobs for me and my dad has moved into what was my room. Before that he was sleeping in my moms room in the walk in closet because he snores to loud for mom.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.