Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

Official DVD Replacement Cover & Case Thread - Part Se7en (merged)

Community
Search

Official DVD Replacement Cover & Case Thread - Part Se7en (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-02, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose this has probably been discussed earlier, but these threads are so huge I figured I'd just ask again:

What do you folks normally do for putting snapper-scans into a keepcase? Do you just simply re-size the snapper-scan to the proper keepcase-insert size and print them up, or do you leave the image size essentially the same, and just chop off the ends to fit in the keepcase?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Geoff H
I suppose this has probably been discussed earlier, but these threads are so huge I figured I'd just ask again:

What do you folks normally do for putting snapper-scans into a keepcase? Do you just simply re-size the snapper-scan to the proper keepcase-insert size and print them up, or do you leave the image size essentially the same, and just chop off the ends to fit in the keepcase?

Thanks!
Most if not all are resized to fit keepcases.
Old 08-24-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mountain Biker
I know I already asked this in the previous thread, but in case it was overlooked, would it be possible for someone to put together a cover for My Bloody Valentine using the original poster art? The new cover isn't the worst Paramount has slapped together, but for nostalgic reasons, I'd much prefer the original miner cover, thanks.
I shall, once I get the Paramount disc, because I want to use some elements from it. I'll likely be doing an untinted April Fool's Day cover as well.
Old 08-24-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm still waiting to see if Sebastian is going to e-mail his alternate Gladiator cover (the kneeling pose) to DVDCoverart. If someone already has the full image and would consider sending it to me directly, I'm on AIM under the username "suB cimsoC"

Also, I want to request a cover scan of Bad Seed. The copy I bought tonight is quite wrinkled.
Old 08-26-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there one site that is good for finding scans of inserts? I have some previously viewed DVDs that are missing the inserts, and it really bugs me!
Old 08-26-02, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Geoff H

I dont' just resize, I reposition elements so they are positioned better. SImply resizing a snapper scan to the keepcase dimensions doesn't look right in my opinion...because the ratio is different.

I'm not the only one who does this, right? Am I even making sense with my description?
Old 08-26-02, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Disc-Flipper

I shall, once I get the Paramount disc, because I want to use some elements from it. I'll likely be doing an untinted April Fool's Day cover as well.
Excellent! Thanks Disc Flipper.
Old 08-26-02, 07:32 PM

Out of curiosity, what kind of paper do you guys use for printing these covers? I've tried both coated and glossy sheets, with mixed results for both.

The coated paper gets wrinkled because of the heavy ink saturation, and the colors and clarity are nowhere near as good as the glossy. On the other hand, while the glossy gives extrememly nice quality, any area that has very dark colors on it (black and some browns and blues) never seems to dry all the way and remains 'tacky'. This is a problem since the plastic on the DVD case sticks to these spots. :\
Old 08-27-02, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by Cosmic Bus
Out of curiosity, what kind of paper do you guys use for printing these covers? I've tried both coated and glossy sheets, with mixed results for both.
The first question that I have to ask is what brand of printer are you using? I have a _Lexmark_Z45_ and do not have the troubles that you posted about using the cheap store brand photo paper from _OfficeMax_ and/or _Office_Depot. And I cheat since I don't want to have to purchase legal sized paper, I tape a second plain sheet to the end of the photo paper and the full cover gets printed on the standard sized sheet.

--David
Old 08-27-02, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Professor Frink
Is there one site that is good for finding scans of inserts? I have some previously viewed DVDs that are missing the inserts, and it really bugs me!

I second this request. For the same reasons.
Old 08-27-02, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Cosmic Bus
I've just started printing out covers on my Hewlett Packard Deskjet 812c (Canadian version of the 810c). I picked up a package of 200 sheets of HP Premium Inkjet paper. As others have mentioned in this and other posts, I simply tape an extra strip of paper onto one end to make the whole thing 14" long, and choose "Legal Size" paper in my photo program.

I haven't had any problems with the ink causing the paper to wrinkle too badly. It wrinkles a *tiny* bit, perhaps, but once it's in the keepcase, it's not at all noticable.

Moreover, I'm certainly pleased with how the covers look. They are practically indistinguishable from "regular" keepcase inserts.
Old 08-28-02, 10:08 PM
Cool New Member

I for one am really impressed with the quility of Canon s900 Phot printer. This printer is the best printer I've ever owned. Its a bit expensive $350 but I got it for $298 at buy.com with $15 off coupon. No need for attaching extra sheet as the printer prints a full cover on 8.5 x 11 sheet. PERFECT. Color saturation is perfect.

I use HP premium plus glossy Paper. I bought 200 for $35 from ebay seller with excellent feedback and super quick shipping. Ebay ID is "cordless4less". And no its not me. What does everone use to cut the cover Paper cutter, razor. I use a metal ruler with a razor on top of a USPS priorty mail folded box.

And thanks I was able to order the double slim Amaray cases from http://www.usplastic.com . 84 cents is a reasonable rate.

thanks
Old 08-28-02, 10:50 PM

http://www.usplastic.com has come through in a big way on the double slim amarays. Good price and exceptional service, highly recommended.
Old 08-28-02, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by atifkhalid
What does everone use to cut the cover Paper cutter, razor. I use a metal ruler with a razor on top of a USPS priorty mail folded box.

thanks

I cut my covers the exact same way, except I use an old amazon box . I wish I had a paper cutter tho, It'd be a lot easier and quicker.
Old 08-28-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by btornado

I cut my covers the exact same way, except I use an old amazon box . I wish I had a paper cutter tho, It'd be a lot easier and quicker.
I have one of those radial (think pizza cutter attached to a guide arm) paper cutters. It didn't cost too much and works great.
Old 08-29-02, 12:51 AM

Paper Cutting

All I can say about paper cutting is... most office supply store paper cutters just don't cut a straight enough line for a case cover!! Un-less you come along and add a color bleed/frame that you can cut off.

Your better off using an Xoknife and metal ruler!!

--David
Old 08-29-02, 09:35 AM
Cool New Member

Exactly that’s how I learned. My paper cutter which cost $40 just could not cut a perfect enough line. It kept leaving some white. Then when I tired to fix it with scissors it made it worse. The metal ruler and razor are perfect. I transformed my entire snapper collection yesterday --- absolutely PERFECT thanks everyone.

Only 2 DVD's left MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME, and Dances With Wolves. Will keep looking.
Old 09-02-02, 05:18 AM

I live in Canada, therefore I am cursed with the dreaded bilingual covers for certain titles.

If someone could post scans of covers of U.S. versions of the follow Paramount genre titles over at www.dvdcoverart.com, I would really appreciate it.

April Fool's Day
Graveyard Shift
Silver Bullet

Also on that list is My Bloody Valentine, unless someone is planning on making a custom cover using the original poster art.

Oh yeah, and I could use a scan of the U.S. In The Bedroom cover as well.

Thanks to anyone that helps!
Old 09-02-02, 03:16 PM

C.H.U.D., Disc-Flipper is going to be making a custom My Bloody Valentine cover and maybe (I hope) an untinted April Fools Day cover. He is the same guy who created the custom Friday The 13th covers on dvdcoverart, So you know he will make an amazing cover.
Old 09-02-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JJE-187
C.H.U.D., Disc-Flipper is going to be making a custom My Bloody Valentine cover and maybe (I hope) an untinted April Fools Day cover. He is the same guy who created the custom Friday The 13th covers on dvdcoverart, So you know he will make an amazing cover.

Yes, I plan to do covers of My Bloody Valentine and April Fool's Day. I'll need to wait for my Amazon order to arrive, which should be at least September 10th to Canada.

Sadly, I'll need to update the Friday the 13th 7 & 8 covers with the changed audio specs and lack of trailers on the packaging. I may upgrade the screenshots to DVD quality, since the existing ones are taken from the grainy VHS tapes.

I do not have Graveyard Shift or Silver Bullet on DVDs, so I can't help you there.

My future plans are: matching Poltergeist I, II and III covers, a Child's Play #1 cover that matches the others and Phantasm I-IV covers that align. I may do a series of Amityville Horror movie covers and When A Stranger Calls/When A Stranger Calls Back. How about a series of Psycho covers that all look similar?

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 09-02-02 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-02-02, 04:51 PM

DF, I would love a new Child's Play cover (a new disc too, but that's another topic) How about a new Pumpkinhead? (if you have it) I don't own any of the others but i'm sure all the fans of those movies would love them.

(P.S.
I love your TCM covers, my set looks great with the TCM III DVD-R I made)
Old 09-02-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
I have a chance to get a used set of the Sopranos Season 2. However, they don't have the original box (they are in individual keep cases). Any thoughts on replacing the box?
Old 09-02-02, 06:08 PM

dvdcoverart has a quad case scan up, you could buy a quad case from inetdvd and print the cover from there and you have a great looking set then.
Old 09-02-02, 10:58 PM
Cool New Member

Please tell me that www.dvdcoverart.com is just down temporarily, I just started converting my snappers!

---Pardon my paranoia, it's back up and updated.

Last edited by BruteUA; 09-03-02 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-02-02, 11:31 PM

Yeah it goes down for a while every day it seems like but it always returns

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.