STAR WARS Original Trilogy On Dvd?

Old 06-27-02, 09:38 AM

STAR WARS Original Trilogy On Dvd?

Okay... I know that this has to be a bootleg, but just read the description!

(removed image link as it went back to the site selling these -Blade)

Price : US$ 41.98 US$ 34.98

Star Wars Part IV : A New Hope
Luke Skywalker comes across two androids, C-3P0 and R2-D2 on his uncles farm, and they lead him on an adventure with Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Ben Kenobi, to rescue a rebel leader, Princess Leia, from the clutches of Darth Vader.
Year : 1977
Director : George Lucas
Starring : Mark Hamil, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness

Star Wars Part V : The Empire Strikes Back
After receiving a vision from Obi-Wan Kenobi and fleeing the ice world of Hoth with his friends, Luke Skywalker travels to the marsh planet of Dagobah, where he is instructed in the ways of the Force by the legendary Jedi master Yoda. Meanwhile, Han Solo and Princess Leia make their way to planet Bespin, where they are greeted by Han's old friend, Lando Calrissian. Ambushed by the Empire shortly after their arrival, they are all imprisoned by Darth Vader. Luke leaves Dagobah to rescue his friends, and is met by Vader and a startling revelation.
Year : 1980
Director : Irvin Kershner
Starring : Mark Hamil, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels

Star Wars Part VI : Return of the Jedi
As the Emperor oversees the construction of the new Death Star by Lord Darth Vader and the evil Galactic Empire, Han Solo is rescued from the clutches of the vile gangster Jabba the Hutt by , Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Chewbacca R2-D2 and C-3PO. Leaving Skywalker Jedi training with Yoda, Solo returns to the Rebel Fleet to prepare for to complete his battle with the Empire. During the ensuing fighting the newly returned Skywalker is captured by Vader
Year : 1983
Director : Richard Marouand
Starring : Mark Hamil, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels

Additional Information
Coding : All Region
Video Format : Widescreen [2.35:1] - NTSC - Color
Audio Tracks : DTS : English, Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 : English, Digital Stereo : English
Subtitles : English, Chinese, Malay, Thai
# Discs : 3
# Sides : Single
# Layer : Dual
Special Features : Interactive Menus, Scenes Access

"Five Star Collection"? DTS? Widescreen? For a bootleg, this sucker's got it all (short of supplements). I've included a link to the online merchant (the URL ends in ".cc" - not sure what country that indicates), so you can see for yourself. Has anyone in these forums had any dealings with the (removed name -Blade) company? Can anyone attest to the quality of these discs?

Now - I've seen bootlegged dvds in Chinatown and I understand that pirated dvds flood the marketplace in Asia, but I'm a little shocked to see what are presumably illegal copies of the "Moby Dick" of movies so flagrantly advertised for sale online. Is it possible that this company has somehow found a "legal loophole" to avoid prosecution? I'm insanely curious about this and wondering if anyone can "fill in the blanks", so to speak.

P.S. - This merchant is also selling a boxed set (and individually) of the Indiana Jones Trilogy. If these can be obtained legally and confidently (don't want some fly-by-night company on another continent closing up shop and skating with my cash!), I'm sold!

Last edited by ericbill0; 06-27-02 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-27-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IBTL

These are boots, not allowed.
Old 06-27-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a lengthly thread on this somewhere.

In general, though, bootleg discussions are frowned upon here.

And just because a bootlegger puts DTS on it, don't expect it to be real DTS quality (if it's DTS at all).
Old 06-27-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There is nothing legal about the dvds you found. They are bootlegs.
Old 06-27-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i know a guy who knows a guy who owns that set and it's great. you can get it a bit cheaper though.

widescreen indy just came out too.
Old 06-27-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definately bootleg. Probably taken from either a laser disk(that would explain 5.1 & dts mixes) or VHS tape. Either way it is a gamble and more importantly.......completely illegal. There is not nor will there ever be a legal loophole for rampant piracy. This site is most likely outside of US jurisdiction and in a country where piracy is allowed.
Old 06-27-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Boots taken from the laserdisks.

IBTL
Old 06-27-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

review

my review from another archived thread:

The general consensus right now is that the "5-star" set is the best version of the trilogy available. I've had about a week with the "5-star trilogy" and have watched each of the films closely. My thoughts...

I found the video/audio to be fairly uniform throughout the set, so I will review them "in general" rather than individually. All letter grades are on a graduated scale...I'd be much less forgiving of a studio release.

VIDEO

B+ (very close to an A-...if this were a studio release, it would be a C-)

it's important to note here that I am viewing this set on a fairly large (61" Sony non-HDTV) monitor. Large sets really bring out even the slightest of irregularities in a transfer, so most of the below will be a non-issue if you have a "normal" sized set.

The previous comments about "grainy" or "soft" pictures look more to me like the slight artifacting that the last generation MPEG encoding on LDs is prone to. It is NOT the sort of thing that I think you'd even notice on a 40" or smaller set. I played with my levels a bit, and as I darkened/sharpened the picture, the artifacting got more noticeable. I think the guys who did the transfer picked a pretty good medium between "soft" and "pixelriffic". If outdoor scenes in "4" look bad, I suspect it has more to do with the age of the original film and the conditions in which it was shot than it does with this transfer. I say this because the indoor (studio) scenes look amazing.

I can't say whether this set compares favorably with the original LD source. I'll just let the 3 of you who still own LD players sort that out. To most people here, I suspect it's a moot point. I've never seen the LD set on MY home theater anyway. I can happily confirm, though, that the video looks infinitely better than my 1997 widescreen VHS set and compares favorably with studio releases of films from the same era (specifically with Jaws and the Superman).

AUDIO

A- (simply for being in a surround format with solid LFE...if it were a studio release, the lack of discrete rear surround would kill its grade)

I followed prior advice and played "4" and "6" in DD 5.1 and played "5" in 2.0. My setup is "mid-fi" or so, consisting of a Pioneer 509 DD/DTS receiver, Energy eXL-16 mains/surrounds, an eXL center, and two Sony SAWM-40 subs (polyfilled, of course).

The audio is where the 5-star set really shines. I don't think I realized until today just how much LFE the trilogy had. Hearing the mirror in my kitchen rattle as a ship passed over was worth the price of admission alone. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, I think hearing this audio on my setup is going to be like "seeing (or hearing as it were) these movies for the first time". It's a whole new experience...seriously, it's very very immersive. I barely talked myself into coming back to work.

I doubt the presence of LFE will be anything special for the LD owners out there, but for those of you who have been watching this on VHS for 20 years and have decent home theaters w/ subwoofers...BE PREPARED.

As to whether the audio is discrete in the rears...I don't think so, but I had to really listen closely to a few very select scenes to decide...and I'm STILL not 100% sure. Every time I think I'm sure, a scene comes along that makes me think "that sounded like it was stronger on the left or right." At very least, it's a very good 2.0 mix, and I'm not complaining.

There was some mention of an audio synch problem on "6", but I listened/looked pretty closely and just don't see/hear it at all.

MENUS, PACKAGING & EXTRAS

B+ (a little quirky here and there, but overall surprisingly good)

The menus are functional (meaning they all seem to work) and attractive, but not "studio" by any stretch of the imagination. Each has scenes from the films playing on a "clouded" background...behind that is a field of stars that simply spins. Overall it looks very acceptable. I rarely use the chapter select menu, but I must say that these are good for a bootleg. Each movie has a mere 12 chapters though.

The trailers are the ones from the "Special Edition" re-release in '97...no original trailers. A documentary follows the trailer on "6". It's essentially a "making of the Special Editions" documentary which is handy if you want to see how they made the bounty hunter shoot first or other such nonsense. Otherwise, it's pretty useless. If you had the '97 VHS set, you've seen the documentary. It was just split up over the three tapes.

The inserts are pretty good overall. They are printed on a decent stock paper with passable English (hey, that's half the battle). The covers of "4" and "6" look very tasteful to my eye. I like the art on "5" a little less as the design doesn't seem consistent with the other 2. For some reason, they decided to port the "catch phrase" from "1" on the top of each cover, so you'll now have 4 DVDs in your collection with the words "Every saga has a beginning" headlining the front cover. It may just be an oddity with my set, but the gold on the "5" cover looks a bit "washed out" compared to "4" & "6"...nothing the untrained eye would ever notice though. For some reason my set came with "DVD 9" stickers on the covers, but they peeled off with minimal effort. Depending on where you get them, you may have to buy cases separately as they may just come with the inserts. This was the case with mine. The artwork printed on the actual disks looks very professional.

The layer changes are pretty well done and are consistent in that they are all in the middle of similar non-dialogue transition scenes...each is in the middle of a ship flying across the screen and/or landing. I was unable to pick a spot where a laser disk was flipped...anywhere.

GENERAL THOUGHTS

Well done!!! I honestly can't imagine having an urge to upgrade this set until the big release...presumably in 2006. I will be more than content until then. What more needs to be said?

If you choose to find this set, just be sure that you get the one with the words "5-star" in the description...and promise to burn them in '06.

Cheers,
-chess
Old 06-27-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I am sure will be explained when the thread gets closed, there are plenty of reviews about this disc on the archived board. Personally, I got them, and was delighted with the final product.
Old 06-27-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I might also add to the review that these are NOT widescreen enhanced, contrary to the cover.
Old 06-27-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep. I didn't think they were the original trilogy, though, but the special editions.

I also thought "IBTL" was frowned upon here too...
Old 06-27-02, 11:00 AM

For the archived Star Wars DVD Review Threads, go here:

Part 1:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=98637

…and here:

Part 2:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=212956
Old 06-27-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone order from this guy's company? $36 seems like a good deal
Old 06-27-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

with both star wars and indiana jones, you have to be very careful which set you get.

to date, the 5 star set is the best presentation of the star wars trilogy...unless you don't want the special editions. in that case, you're not quite so lucky.

i just ordered a new WIDESCREEN indiana jones trilogy and am very much looking forward to giving it a spin. the majority of the indy sets out there are garbage...and are pan and scan to boot.

edit: it looks like the indy dvds on this site are the new ones, but you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited by chess; 06-27-02 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-27-02, 11:27 AM
Banned

To sneak in some comments before this gets closed:

MAJOR problems with the 5.1 on Empire.

Sound is pretty good overall but still does not compare to the original laserdiscs.

The picture is really good...FOR A BOOTLEG. But it's not as good as the laserdisc it came from.

There is a very slight sync problem in Jedi. I noticed it the first time i watched it.

Picture is slightly washed out for sure. Not as good as the laserdiscs.

Another very good attempt...but i'm sure new ones will come out eventually.

And i'm still holding onto my laserdiscs.

Now...INdy on the other hand....i ordered my set as soon as they came out two weeks ago
Old 06-27-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Now...INdy on the other hand....i ordered my set as soon as they came out two weeks ago
so you've gotten them already i presume.

or
Old 06-27-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MAJOR problems with the 5.1 on Empire.

Such as...?
Old 06-27-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by huzefa

Such as...?
a lot of dropouts...pretty much unlistenable.

stick with the 2.0 track and you'll still be happy.
Old 06-27-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Commander Dan
For the archived Star Wars DVD Review Threads, go here:

Part 1:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=98637

…and here:

Part 2:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=212956
I'm assuming these reviews are referring to the FIVE-STAR collection DVDs, right?

I'm also assuming that the THX logo on the cover is just BS.

Last edited by huzefa; 06-27-02 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-27-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't this kind of skirting the entire bootleg thread issue? Due to the debates about bootlegs Geoff decided to not allow these type of discussions.
Old 06-27-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by huzefa

I'm assuming these reviews are referring to the FIVE-STAR collection DVDs, right?

I'm also assuming that the THX logo on the cover is just BS.
the second thread is pretty much all 5-star. my review is on page 8.

the covers are pretty much BS in their entirety...not 16:9 enhanced, not really DTS, not really TXH (although the LD source was...

bottom line, it's a bootleg and it's not perfect...but it's as good a presentation as you'll find unless you want to buy an LD player and a set of LDs.
Old 06-27-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by vapoRware
Isn't this kind of skirting the entire bootleg thread issue? Due to the debates about bootlegs Geoff decided to not allow these type of discussions.
skirting? not really...just waiting for the close...

mods must be asleep or something...this thing's been up for over 2 hours.

you out there static?
Old 06-27-02, 12:07 PM

Boy, I sure hope all the beggers read this post. I must have gotten 30 emails for "where to buy" info when the original threads were open. And now, replete with store info, here is the unofficial "where to buy" post
Old 06-27-02, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by chess

so you've gotten them already i presume.

or
Actually I haven't...but a good friend has gotten the indy dvd's.

He said that the 5.1 is better than the 2.0. The picture is VERY good and a lot better than the other one.

He said they are on-par with the 5-star Star Wars collection.

I'll try and post my review when I get them...if i can sneak it in.

I have the laserdiscs and can do a comparison.

They are MUCH easier to do than the Star Wars ones (no ac-3) so i don't understand why the bootleggers are having so much trouble.
Old 06-27-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He said they are on-par with the 5-star Star Wars collection.
that's all i needed to hear. thanks.

the covers look great too.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.