Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

Can the Lakers win 4 titles in a row?

Can the Lakers win 4 titles in a row?

Old 06-13-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Big Quasimodo

Like I said, it looked like they got them last year (Rock, Samaki) and they kind of sucked......I hope they get better ones next time.

I'll tellyawhat, though, Devan George could improve leaps and bounds. He shows some serious potential to be a contributor and has more athleticism than Fox/Horry and can knock down the occassional 3 too.
I also thought they would be a lot better than they turned out to be. I agree they should probably try to keep George.
Old 06-13-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richmond had one of the worst seasons for a laker ever,he averaged 4 points a game this year and played 11 minutes total in the finals,Lakers will get rid of this chump,Devin George did great in the finals so they will keep him,all they need to do is replace someone for Richmond and there money.

Kings need a decent 3rd Center to foul Shaq when needed and there money,with a healthy Staokavich there money and can beat LA when healthy,Kings would have won the series if he was healthy since he was the 2nd leading scorer for the Kings and they still almost pulled it off,Kings are champs next year if healthy.
Old 06-13-02, 06:06 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will Devean George leave the gravy train for Free Agency? He might.

I hope Mitch stays. I think that if he stays he could see more minutes next year in a Ron Harper-type of role with the team. He already has a year of learning the offense under his belt and would definitely want to play more in the playoffs.

I'm wondering, who's available that would be a good fit for the Lakers?

-BT
Old 06-13-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Yes they can. But they better be ready for a tough road ahead. They will have to be consistant. I trust Phil, Shaq, and Kobe to know what to do.
Old 06-13-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,328 Posts
Sure they can. I agree it'll be tough. The big question will be the Kings. Will they respond to this heartbreak by becoming tougher and better, as Jackson's Bulls did in '91 after being dominated by the Pistons for the previous 2 years, or will they implode and slide backward from the brink of greatness like the Portland teams have been these last 2 seasons? We'll see. One thing's certain : In Bibby they have a star and a leader. As good as C Webb is, he didn't fit that roll and I always felt they wouldn't be on top with him in charge. Everything is different now.

As for the off-season, it'll be interesting to see. You never know when some bonehead owner will make an incredibly stupid trade that will shift the balance of power in the league (Bibby for Williams? Kidd for Marbury? WTF?)
Old 06-13-02, 11:12 PM
Banned

I hope the Lakers do. Being a Jordan hater I'd like to see them do something the Bulls didn't, win 4 in a row. Of course I'd still have to hear "the Bulls would have won 8 in a row had Jordan not retired".

I think they can. Kings seem like their biggest challenge, but C Web will have to start showing up in the 4th quarter.
Old 06-14-02, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bears35
I hope the Lakers do. Being a Jordan hater I'd like to see them do something the Bulls didn't, win 4 in a row. Of course I'd still have to hear "the Bulls would have won 8 in a row had Jordan not retired".
It's funny cause it's true, they would have won 8 in a row had Jordan not picked up a bat and a glove.

Either way, this Lakers team isn't better than either of the Bulls 2 3-peat teams. This Shaq/Kobe squad isn't even the best Laker team.
Old 06-14-02, 01:38 AM
Suspended

Like there's any doubt?
Old 06-14-02, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not only can they. They will.
Old 06-14-02, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nets in 7 in 2003. You read it here first!
Old 06-14-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
can they? yes, most definitly

will they? pretty good chance... depending on off season moves by both the lakers and kings

any other team is going to have to make some major changes to compete with these 2

God I hope so!

4-Peat is a long way off!

I'm still getting used to:

This year was an excellent opportunity for the Kings next year is another.
Until we see what each team does on the player personnel side it's very tough to say.
When that is settled who knows how healthy either of these teams will be for the playoffs.

The Odds are way, way, waaaaaaaay against the 4-Peat but I'd love to see it happen.

Thanks for a Great Run Lakers!!!!!
Old 06-14-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DTSC

But does the bench *really* matter all that much? I don't think so.
It would have if they could have made a contribution.

The Lakers will need more help from the bench in order to do it again.
Old 06-14-02, 11:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by JCJF10

God I hope so!

4-Peat is a long way off!

I'm still getting used to:

This year was an excellent opportunity for the Kings next year is another.
Until we see what each team does on the player personnel side it's very tough to say.
When that is settled who knows how healthy either of these teams will be for the playoffs.

The Odds are way, way, waaaaaaaay against the 4-Peat but I'd love to see it happen.

Thanks for a Great Run Lakers!!!!!
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you.
Old 06-14-02, 11:54 AM
Suspended

BLING, BLING, BLING.......BLING?
Old 06-14-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Please -- the bench is completely interchangeable.

I'm not talking the other 3 that compose of the starting five, I'm talkign players like Brian Shaw, Medvedenko, Hunter, etc.

All you need to do is find a few players who can hit a wide open 3 or take up space in the middle for 5 minutes a game. Dime a dozen in the NBA.

The Lakers are Shaq and Kobe and a bunch of average ball players who end up looking better than they really are. This situation is really no different than Chicago's situation was, except maybe for the inclusion of a premium rebounder in Dennis Rodman.

I agree but I'd like to keep Shaw around because he seems to have a calming effect on the team.

As for Walker, Hunter, Madsen and Medvedenko I'd need to see big improvements from those
guys to feel OK about them sopping up roster positions.

I'd be surprised if Mitch R. doesn't retire. I find it really sad that he didn't really play a role
in winning his only ring after having such a solid NBA career.
Old 06-14-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Big Quasimodo

Like I said, it looked like they got them last year (Rock, Samaki) and they kind of sucked......I hope they get better ones next time.

I'll tellyawhat, though, Devan George could improve leaps and bounds. He shows some serious potential to be a contributor and has more athleticism than Fox/Horry and can knock down the occassional 3 too.

Sadly it sure sounds like Devan George is looking for the big paycheck and I can't blame him.
Old 06-14-02, 12:04 PM
Suspended

Sadly it sure sounds like Devan George is looking for the big paycheck and I can't blame him.
He sure sounded like it on his interview that night didnt it. I think he will easily go the way of Tyrone Lue.
Old 06-14-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No one has brought up the SBT Factor!!!!!!

(Shaq's Big Toe)

Without the SBT Factor this year the Lakers would have won 659 more games! (Ok.... not that many but 5-6 more )
Old 06-14-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool

He sure sounded like it on his interview that night didnt it. I think he will easily go the way of Tyrone Lue.
It sounded even worse.... he implied that the Lakers not picking up his option would be a factor in his final decision.

Old 06-14-02, 12:26 PM

I think the Kings, due to experience (if they keep everyone) and the Sonics (If they get a decent center) will both beat the Lakers next year.
Old 06-14-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Next season is a new season and another opportunity for others teams to emerge. It's a fresh piece of blank paper so know one knows who will do what and how these moves will improve their teamís chances. Injuries might be an even larger unknown.....

But If I was forced to bet right here right now....

I'd bet it will come down to the Kings and Lakers. The only question would be will they meet in the Conf. Finals or earlier in the playoffs. (other teams may challenge these two but one of these two will win it all)
Old 06-14-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be surprised if Mitch R. doesn't retire. I find it really sad that he didn't really play a role
in winning his only ring after having such a solid NBA career.
Mitch will most likely retire. He's got no game left, his quick first step is now nonexistant. All that being said, I'm happy as hell that he won a ring finally. So many years of suffering on bad teams...
Old 06-14-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mitch will most likely retire. He's got no game left, his quick first step is now nonexistant. All that being said, I'm happy as hell that he won a ring finally. So many years of suffering on bad teams...
Me too I just really reeeeeally wish he had a little gas left in the tank for this year so he could retire knowing he contributed to a Championship team more than Walker, Hunter, Madsen or Medvedenko.
Old 06-14-02, 12:57 PM
Suspended

Me too I just really reeeeeally wish he had a little gas left in the tank for this year so he could retire knowing he contributed to a Championship team more than Walker, Hunter, Madsen or Medvedenko.
Mitch did contribute more than those 4, and thats not saying alot, is it.
Old 06-14-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts
For the Kings, I think it's a matter of signing Bibby. That's the key for them (and as another poster stated, for Webber to show up down the stretch).

The Lakers starting 5 are locked. I just hope they give Richmond's money to Shaw. Really sucked that he was put on waivers and signed to a smaller deal. Please pay Mr. Dependable asap.

With the 3-peat out of the way.. bring on the Quest for Cuatro.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.