2001/2002 TV Season - Top 20 Dramatic Episodes

Community
Search

2001/2002 TV Season - Top 20 Dramatic Episodes

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

Well said. Characters' actions have consequences, "good guys" do foolish things, "bad guys" are not completely heartless, and through stories of the supernatural, the show does an incredible job portraying the wonders of the average human.

Buffy is a show about choices and the consequences (good or bad) of those decisions. It's about inherent human frailty balanced with a simple individual's ability to change the world. It's about everything that makes our lives painful, and wonderful, and scary, and intriguing, and unique, and heart-breaking, and worth living. It's about the wonders of humanity at its best, its worst, and everywhere in between.

Time to go watch some season 2 DVDs ...

das
But you say it so much better

I think I have found something I disagree with tho! Alias fight scenes better than Buffy's?? das...das...you were in a tv/food coma at the time you wrote that
Old 06-12-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mots2
I think I have found something I disagree with tho! Alias fight scenes better than Buffy's?? das...das...you were in a tv/food coma at the time you wrote that
You must not watch the show. To be accurate, I said "probably as good, if not better." I certainly would never speak ill of the Buffy choreography, but Alias is very, very strong.

das

P.S. My life is one big TV coma.
Old 06-12-02, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Das...

You make Buffy sound very deep. How many seasons has it been on?

I've noticed that it's on dvd. Are the seasons that are on dvd now very good, and which season of the two or three on dvd now are the best? I may rent/buy as I read and learn more.

I guess I just always thought the show was silly from what I hear and see about the show. Maybe I just don't take WB/UPN drama's seriously, but I even heard there was a Buffy musical. A Vampire Slayer doing song and/or dance? Just sounded hokey and almost a parody of itself but I'm curious to learn more from the faithful viewers here. It seems like it has a cult following.

How is the show set up? Does Buffy's family/friends know of her powers/responsibilities, or does she have to sneak out of the house at night to kill vampires?

Is it "abrakadabra" and the vampire is killed, or is it more dark
a-la the ol' "steak through the heart?"

Is the show littered with teenagers, or is it about adults and or family too?

Take place during highschool? College?

Any other info and your opinions would be great, thanks.
Old 06-12-02, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by PacMan2006
You make Buffy sound very deep. How many seasons has it been on?

I've noticed that it's on dvd. Are the seasons that are on dvd now very good, and which season of the two or three on dvd now are the best? I may rent/buy as I read and learn more.

Six seasons, with one (likely) final season left. Season 1 is a half-season and while entertaining is more set-up for the characters. Season 2 has a few campy and filler episodes, but most of it is downright incredible. Season 3 picks up the pace and provides a near full season of non-stop quality. Season 4 stumbles a bit at the beginning with some weak plotlines, but as usual finishes very strong. Season 5 gives us some of the best episodes of the series, including one of the finest hours ever on television. Season 6, a source of much disagreement, in my opinion was weak for much of time, but gave us 3 more unbelieveably good episodes, the ones that made this list.

I guess I just always thought the show was silly from what I hear and see about the show. Maybe I just don't take WB/UPN drama's seriously, but I even heard there was a Buffy musical. A Vampire Slayer doing song and/or dance? Just sounded hokey and almost a parody of itself but I'm curious to learn more from the faithful viewers here. It seems like it has a cult following.

You see now why it made my list. Combine the fact that it was as good, if not better, than every other hour on television this season PLUS the fact that it sounds so stupid and is expected to fail miserably ... that's incredible television.

How is the show set up? Does Buffy's family/friends know of her powers/responsibilities, or does she have to sneak out of the house at night to kill vampires?

Combination of both. A lot of weird crap happens in Sunnydale, but some people don't want to face the reality of what's going on around them. She doesn't hide her powers, but she shies away from those who aren't ready to accept the evil she's defending them from. She's not a lone crusader or anything. The battle between good and evil is expansive, and the mythology behind her powers is very intriguing.

Is it "abrakadabra" and the vampire is killed, or is it more dark
a-la the ol' "steak through the heart?"

This ain't Charmed. It's a very dark show when it comes to confronting evil.

Is the show littered with teenagers, or is it about adults and or family too?

Take place during highschool? College?

It's about teenagers, but not in a childish, high-schoolish way. It's not a Dawson's Creek or even Smallville type of show. For the first three seasons, one great parallel is drawn through much of the episodes: surviving the forces of darkness is sometimes easy compared to surviving the horrors of high school. Later, the show moves to their college years, and the show evolves with that. The themes evolve from "simply fitting in" to "finding your meaning in this world."

Like all great fantasy/science fiction shows, the genius of the show is using the supernatural events as a parallel to our everyday lives. The lessons they learn fighting demons and saving the Earth are the same lessons you and I learn from life. That's not to say this is some kind of "moral of the story" show, but I think you get my meaning. The characters grow in every episode. In the end, the show is not about Buffy, a vampire slayer, saving the Earth. It's about Buffy, a girl growing into a woman, trying to find her place in this world ... just like the rest of us.

I don't know what else to tell you about the show. Like all things, you may not like it. As has been said, it is a genre show. It's about supernatural stuff and requires some imagination. Some people just don't like those types of things. I would say, however, that even if you don't like it, it's worth taking the chance. Most of the Buffy fanbase (especially around here) is comprised of new fans who ultimately started watching because someone like me wouldn't shut up about it. Now, they can't shut up about it. Hopefully, you'll find the joy in the show that we've found, but even if you don't, I can think of no better show to take the chance on.

Seasons 1 and 2 are on Region 1 DVD. Like I said, Season 1 won't knock you over with brilliance, but it's still quite entertaining. If you get through season 2 without becoming an addict, I'll be surprised. Season 3, of course, is brilliant. Best of luck to you if you decide to take the plunge. As Levar Burton says, though, don't take my word for it ... ask around, and I think you'll hear similar thoughts from those who actually watch the show.

Feel free to ask me further questions if necessary.

das
Old 06-12-02, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I can't say it quite as well as das, I agree with his Buffy comments 100%. I've watched this show since day one and have only enjoyed it more and more as it progresses. Unlike a lot of other drama shows, the characters change and evolve as well as come and go. I also think you should start from the very beginning and at least try to make it through season 2. You should be hooked by then!!!
Old 06-12-02, 07:41 AM

hey Das, did you do a list like this during Buffy's season 3? I'm sure Buffy's finale would have made that top 20 list
Old 06-12-02, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mots2
hey Das, did you do a list like this during Buffy's season 3? I'm sure Buffy's finale would have made that top 20 list
I would be tough not to put all of 'Choices', 'The Prom', and 'Graduation Day 1 & 2' on a list such as this. Or 'Earshot', 'The Wish', 'Faith, Hope, & Trick'. Damn, what a season. Sadly, it was not a World Cup year, so I didn't have 7 hours a night trying to find something to do while watching soccer.

das
Old 06-21-02, 09:52 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love lists like this, but I don't know why, considering I always disagree with them so much. The only one of your choices I agree with, Angel - Sleep Tight, would almost have to be knocked out because there were 2 other real standout episodes of Angel this season. I would have to take notes during the season to be able to make a list like this, but I will mention the episodes that stand out the most in my head this season. Here they are in alphabetical order:

Angel

"A New World" - This episode had me so excited when I saw it, I couldn't believe when I got on the internet and other people weren't blown away by it. I can't say whether Alias or Buffy has better fighting in it, but this episode of Angel had the best fighting I've ever seen on TV.

"Sleep Tight" and "Tomorrow" - I guess I would put "Sleep Tight" above "Tomorrow", but I had to give "Tomorrow" an honorable mention for one of the best cliffhanger I've ever seen.

Band of Brothers

"Carentan" - While Angel had the best fight sequences I've ever seen on TV, "Carentan" had the best action sequences I've ever seen on TV. When I was watching them try to take the city, my mind was working on 3 different levels. In one way, I was comparing it to computer games I've played, while I was also taking in the cinematic beauty and finally imagining what it must have been like in reality. To go along with all the amazing action, we also got to follow one soldier, who I felt was the most interesting character in the whole series.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Flooded" - I like the musical episode, but this was definitely the best episode in Buffy's worst season since season 1. This episode was filled with amazing scenes encompassing both very funny and very serious moments. Who can forget how cute Willow was when she was telling Giles about ressurecting Buffy only to be scolded by him a minute later. In addition to the great writing, I also feel this episode was the best directed. All the characters felt right and some of the shots were absolutely perfect.

Once and Again

"Kind of Blue" - I liked the whole season, but this is the only episode that really stuck out for me. The most amazing thing about it was, they were able to address all 11 main characters and even introduce 2 new ones all in 1 hour. This show probably had the biggest cast in primetime and yet in this episode every character was developed and was able to have their own moment. It never felt forced, I felt, as I often do while watching Once and Again, that I was sharing these people's lives.

Six Feet Under

"The Last Time" - I forgot, I agree with another one of your choices, but imo this was the only great episode this season. The rest were all good, but there was always something there to counter the good stuff every episode. The season finale was the only episode that was all good.

The Shield

"Two Days of Blood" and "Circles" - The pilot really caught my attention when it first aired, but when I watch it again, it just doesn't hold up. The whole season was great, but it reached perfection with the final 2 episodes. After watching "Two Days of Blood", I couldn't remember the last time I was so excited to see the next episode of a show. I was on the edge of my seat for these 2.

Well, I'm sure I forgot some other ones that I loved, maybe I should start taking notes. I also plan on catching up with Jeremiah and Farscape someday. I just noticed I listed 9. Maybe to make it an even 10 I should throw one more in. How about Buffy - "Normal Again"? This was my 2nd favorite episode of Buffy this season. What a great episode to show before you go on a 6-week hiatus.