DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Key Thread Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/key-thread-archive-27/)
-   -   Official DVD Replacement Cover & Case Part Deux (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/key-thread-archive/133252-official-dvd-replacement-cover-case-part-deux.html)

Bigsteele 09-01-01 11:34 PM

Thanks Mat. Can I just put pictures in that template and then resize it when Im done? Or do I have to it separte?

Mickey 09-02-01 01:11 AM

You should use some sort of editing software such as Adobe Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, create a new document with the measurements of the template 273 mm X 183mm. You can download a demo of Photoshop from www.adobe.com (I'm not sure how limited it is) or you can download a demo of Painthsop Pro from www.download.com. If you are on a budget then Paintshop Pro is the one to get since it's usually around $90 and Photoshop is around $600 or more. Both of them allow you to work in layers and you can usually find tutorials on the web for either.

I normally will create 3 seperate documents (front, spine and back) then combine them into the one main document. If you do it this way then the sizes will be

Front: 129.5mm X 183mm
Spine: 14mm X 183mm
Back: 129.5mm X 183mm

I don't know of any sites currently that tell you how to design your own covers. You will have to experiment a little. I would recommend that you work with 300 dpi (dots per inch) as a minimum but 600 dpi would be better. If you use a lower resolution then your pictures and text will print out a bit fuzzy and be hard to read.

For information on printing covers I belive that www.realitycrash.com (also listed above) has some information on how to print them.

Brewc 09-02-01 10:07 AM

What type of paper do you guys recommend, brand or type? A glossy or semi gloss type stuff that you can pick up at wal-mart?

Gamblor187 09-02-01 01:19 PM

I Need cover scans for Buster Keaton DVDs!!!!

I recently bought used used copies of Buster Keaton's "The Saphead", "Go West", and "The Three Ages", but they weren't in the original cases and had no covers. If anyone has these DVDs and could provide me with scans of the covers, I would greatly appreciate it. I'd like to get a copy of the chapter listings also.

jim

therecanbeonlyone 09-02-01 03:48 PM

My X-MEN cover should be up tomorrow! You can preview the unfinished cover here.

-Matt [/B]
The cover is looking good but does'nt look right without the Hyphen between X and Men

RMan360 09-02-01 05:42 PM

Originally posted by therecanbeonlyone

The cover is looking good but does'nt look right without the Hyphen between X and Men

True, and thanks for the constructive criticism. Unfortunately that is a very small problem compared with the fact that it doesn't print out well at all (too dark & purple instead of blue). :(

The other cover I was working on here had its life cut short by a website involved with the front covers author.

Oh well, I am out of time to work on it, so I guess for now I will have to leave the cover making to the pros. :) Someday when I have more time on my hands I will attempt to make more covers (if DVDs are still around then), but I will not be so quick to post them before the 'test print'...Rookies -rolleyes- ;)

-Matt/RMan360

Mickey 09-02-01 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Brewc
What type of paper do you guys recommend, brand or type? A glossy or semi gloss type stuff that you can pick up at wal-mart?
First of all what brand and type of printer do you have? This works best with an inkjet photo quality printer.

If you have a Lexmark Printer then use Kodak brand papers, if you have an Epson then use Epson brand papers and if you have an HP printer use HP brand papers. I can't remember what brand of papers Walmart sells but if they don't have the ones I recommended for the printers above or you have a different brand then you will have to experiment to see whats best for yours.

I would suggest starting with a nice photo quality ink jet paper maybe a nice glossy paper as long as it's not too thick (photo paper might crack when folded). Always make sure the picture is at least 300 dpi (dots per inch).

wlcohen 09-05-01 09:02 AM

Anybody come up with a box with graphics for the muppet movies?

porieux 09-06-01 02:55 PM

Wrath of Khan request

I just bought a used copy of Star Trek II
The Wrath of Khan, and it came without
any cover at all. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

kefrank 09-06-01 09:16 PM

there was another thread about this awhile back, but i've created a full cover for a 2-disc set of silence of the lambs for everyone who bought the new one and kep the criterion. here is a preview of the front:
http://www.killspace.f2s.com/cover/silence.jpg

the problem is i don't have enough space for the 20MB full cover (in TIFF format at 300dpi). anyone want to host this for me?

codefree 09-07-01 06:13 PM

I've asked Jim to add a link to this thread in his Frequent Questions/Newcomer Help thread.

mysteriousjimmy 09-08-01 02:16 AM

Hi all,

is anyone working on covers for the new releases of Basic Instinct Unrated Directors Cut SE and Total Recall SE ?

I started working on them last night ,but the computer I was using has spat the dummy and will not turn on (think the power supply died and can't get a new one till next week).

any one help with this ??

ta....

Mickey 09-08-01 08:07 AM

I belive that MDX was working on one for Total Recall SE.

mysteriousjimmy 09-09-01 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Mickey
I belive that MDX was working on one for Total Recall SE.
thanks...

MDX, you out there ???

Tyler_Durden 09-09-01 12:09 PM

(Getting desperate here...) Doesn't anybody else want a cover for The Wicker Man?

mdX 09-09-01 02:48 PM

I'm here, just getting settled in back at school (and without internet on my comp for another week). I still have my Total recall SE cover in the works, but I'm waiting to get a copy of the SE so I can incorporate some of the elements from it into my cover. Expect to see it within a week or so of the SE release.

mysteriousjimmy 09-10-01 02:26 AM

Originally posted by mdX
I'm here, just getting settled in back at school (and without internet on my comp for another week). I still have my Total recall SE cover in the works, but I'm waiting to get a copy of the SE so I can incorporate some of the elements from it into my cover. Expect to see it within a week or so of the SE release.
thanks for the update MDX

if I can save anything of my computer that died on the weekend, I will post what I have for Total Recall SE as well.

Disc-Flipper 09-10-01 09:53 AM

I will scan my Wicker Man regular edition cover for those who are interested. Send me an e-mail [email protected] if you want it. I'll warn you now that it looks much different than the SE cover.

donsrule 09-14-01 12:42 AM

To all owners of 'Meet The Parents' and 'The Birds CE'
My covers to bothe of these DVDs are ruined, and I need to replace them.

Can anyone who owns them, and owns a scanner, please do me a favour?

Could you scan just the sleve (front, spine and back) and either e-mail it to me, or provide a download link for me please?

Could you make it less than 4mb if possible.

~or~

If anyone knows of any websites that have these covers downloadable, could you please link me to them?

I would greatly appreciate this if anyone could help me out.

Thanks.

Donsrule

NB - e-mail to this address: [email protected]

Mickey 09-14-01 06:36 AM

I want one too but I sold my Theatical version and didn't think to scan the cover. I havn't had time to sit down and try to create my own.

Tyler_Durden 09-14-01 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Disc-Flipper
I will scan my Wicker Man regular edition cover for those who are interested. Send me an e-mail [email protected] if you want it. I'll warn you now that it looks much different than the SE cover.
It can't be that hard to create a cover with the back of the LE... maybe somebody should give it a try. Please?

RMan360 09-14-01 10:07 PM

Edited to delete Wickerman thumb/link. See my next post.

The inserts that come with the LE will fit in a standard keepcase.

BTW, don't worry, I have printed this out for myself and it looks good :)

Tyler_Durden 09-15-01 03:39 AM

Looks great indeed, thanks very much. :thumbsup:

mdX 09-15-01 10:35 PM

my Total Recall SE cover is now done, and can be downloaded from realitycrash:

Total Recall SE cover preview
Total Recall SE cover Hi-res
Total Recall SE insert preview
Total Recall SE insert hires

and be sure to check out all my other covers at RealityCrash under gallery #4

-Matt

RMan360 09-16-01 07:46 PM

See my DVD cover page for The Wicker Man & Close Encounters of the Third Kind covers.

RMan360's DVD Covers

If I make many more covers I will have to downsize the quality of these covers, so get 'em while they're hot!

-Matt