Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which etailer has the best prices on Japanese R2 DVDs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Which etailer has the best prices on Japanese R2 DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-01, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm specifically looking for Who Am I? DD & DTS which is listed at one site for $65!
Old 03-19-01, 06:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

That's the price. DTS discs are very expensive in Japan.

Now, the DD5.1 and DTS tracks on that release are apparently very similar. Almost identical. There is an earlier DD5.1 release that has the same 16x9 transfer, so if it has the DD5.1 track that is on the DTS dition, it's worth getting the first, cheaper release. Here are links for the front & rear covers:

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/images6/pibf-1220f.jpg
http://www.asiandvdguide.com/images6/pibf-1220b.jpg

A brief review of the DTS edition from the HTF:

"Not a full review, but I did do some brief comparisons. On the Japan DVD, the DD5.1 and dts tracks are nearly identical with a slight edge to dts for tighter bass and slightly improved clarity. Both are far superior to the Universe DVD from Hong Kong. The anamorphic picture on the Japan release is also noticably superior but the letterbox picture on the Hong Kong DVD from Universe is better than average for older Hong Kong DVDs. For those not familiar with the film, the major drawback (inaddition to price) is the lack of English support for the several chapters with the tribe. The Japanese release has 50 chapter stops."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000256.html

UPDATE: I just special ordered the earlier, DD5.1 version from CDJapan. $39, plus shipping, so it will be about $47 totaled.

I'll post a review once I get it.

[Edited by Matt Stevens on 03-19-01 at 04:27 PM]
Old 03-19-01, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll check out those links in a minute. Does the earlier DD 5.1 version include the 20 extra minutes of footage not on the R1 release, like the DTS version does. Also, you mention in your post that there are no subs for the longer tribe scene. Is that true of both the earlier DD 5.1 version and the newer DD/DTS version?

Thanks again!
Old 03-20-01, 07:23 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Both versions are uncut and both versions have no subtitles for the tribe sequence.

I never watch anything before he finds the outback car race anyway, so that doesn't bother me. I love the second half. The first half is so so and I've seen it enough times already. But I could watch the second half every day for a year and still enjoy it.