International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

RCE What Dvds???

Old 02-16-01, 07:58 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

After just paying to get my dvd multi regioned in Australia i find out about RCE!!!

I was wondering what titles at the moment have RCE
i know of 3
*The Patriot
*Howllow man
*The perfect storm ( i have the region 4 copy and it plays fine)

can i still play hollow man region 4 dvd???

will there be region 4 RCE titles???

Please help

Lerroy
Old 02-16-01, 08:43 AM

Hey lerroy

Welcome to DVD! It rocks!

Now, for RCE, check out DVDTalk's FAQ: http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html

Q: What titles have RCE?
A: Currently there are two titles that currently have RCE - "The Patriot" and "A Perfect Storm."

To add to that also "Hollow Man" and allegedly "Thomas & the Magic Railroad" (allegedly because I haven't tried this disc).

*The perfect storm ( i have the region 4 copy and it plays fine)
That makes sense because the R4 is not RCE encoded.

can i still play hollow man region 4 dvd???
Yes. Again from the DVDTalk RCE FAQ:

Q: What is Regional Coding enhancement(RCE)?
A: It's an enhancement added to some Warner and Columbia DVDs to stop region 1 (R1) DVDs from playing on Region-free DVD players.

RCE will only affect R1 discs as it is designed to stop you from importing R1 discs and skipping the normal distributors of film in your country - Australia in both your case and mine. And the distributors will generally want their cut. So it would be pointless to RCE encode R4 discs that have already been released in R1, if you see what I mean.

There are a couple of other threads here, as well as the RCE FAQ which detail players which can get around the RCE encoding, and which players have problems. A search would reveal these.

Also, if you are in Aus, drop by http://www.dvdplaza.com.au and search their forum for RCE - I think there was a thread on ppls experience with RCE and their players. Also this is a good place for R4 info and bargains.

And for another view on RCE and players from a down under perspective (ok, its actually on the other side of the Tasman), have a look at http://www.nzht.co.nz/patriot.htm

Hope that helps.

Stick with your multiregioned DVD, there are great R1 and R2 titles out there that rock. Check http://www.michaeldvd.com.au for comparisons of R1 and R4 discs and make sure you get the best one!
Old 02-17-01, 05:02 AM
Cool New Member

Hi KeithT

Thanks so much you have helped me heaps and shed some light on a all the answers i need
the websites you gave me very intresting to say the least

thanks again KeithT

KeithT do you live in Aus it sounds like you do if so were do you purchase your dvds in oz??? and overseas?? i kinda new just getting my system multizoned and stuff

but i have purchased from ezydvd and dvdoz and found them to be pretty good

lerroy
Old 02-17-01, 05:23 AM

just to say that finally the Perfect storm was not RCE encoded.....

Old 02-17-01, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by lerroy
KeithT do you live in Aus it sounds like you do if so were do you purchase your dvds in oz??? and overseas?? i kinda new just getting my system multizoned and stuff

but i have purchased from ezydvd and dvdoz and found them to be pretty good
No problems lerroy,

Yup, from Oz. I used to buy heaps of R1s, but the international bargains are all but gone these days, with Reel.com gone, and hardly any coupons, clicking for gift certificates, free shipping, etc. So now I tend to buy R4's. Still, there are a few good R1s to get, which will probably never see the light of day in R4 - Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition, for example.

If you are keen on international on-line shopping, check Fhrx's post in this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=60363

Shop around, and you'll find some bargains. A current favourite site for R1s is http://www.absound.ca - a Canadian site, which charges in Canadian $, but works out cheaper or as good as US sites. And shipping is about a week to Oz.

In Oz, do check out http://www.dvdplaza.com.au - and have a poke around the discussion forums. Gives you a good indication of good and bad local stores, and other Oz experiences with US/Canadian sites for R1. Ezydvd and ozdvdwhs.com.au (i'm assuming that's who you meant in dvdoz) are good, but are not the cheapest for R4s. kmart online are good when they have their 15% off sales, and shipping is a flat rate of $2.95, so that is usually a good place to start your collection. Also I think this site currently has a sale which includes old Warner titles (most of which are no longer in *yuck* snapper cases, but nice Amaray type cases), for under $20! That would be a great way to immediately boost your collection. A lot of those titles were selling for $29 not 12 months ago. Needless to say I bought most of the titles advertised for under $20 at their full price then

Welcome to the wonderful world of DVD (although I'm sure your credit card will not think the same)
Old 02-18-01, 03:10 AM
Cool New Member

thanks yet again KeithT
ill check out all those sites you gave me and scrounge around for some good bargains

and yes my credit card is already feeeling the pain i just purchased Saving private ryan from amazon, the DTS version which is not yet (i dont think ever) on R4 , it came to $58 Australain
i think thats about the last ill buy from Amazon unless i really cant get it any cheaper (probably could have done if i had looked around)

anyway thanks again KeithT

Old 02-18-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I can understand why they do this, it does become a pain in the butt after a while continually chasing region code issues.
Old 03-22-01, 10:40 PM
Cool New Member

<bump>

Any updates on the list of RCE encoded disks ?? Do all Columbia Tristar and Warners movies post Dec 2000 have it ?? Will future releases like Close Encounters, 6th Day, Charlies Angels etc be RCE ??

Old 03-23-01, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My freind bought Sony player and it will not play The Patriot (Mel Gibson)movie but on my Pioneer it will play without a problem, not all players are effected by this RCE.
Old 03-23-01, 02:15 AM

This thing with RCE on the whole, so far it is pretty much a failure. There are so many players that are unaffected by it, and for some of the players that are affected, there is the workaround.

If need be, people can always get themselves a dedicated R1 player.
Old 03-26-01, 11:53 PM
Cool New Member

yep i really need to know if
Charlies angels and red planet r RCE titles

To Be Confirmed
South Park: The Chef Experience
South Park: Christmas In South Park
6th Day - March 27th
Charlies Angels - March 27th
Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon - June 5th

This is all i could find on the subject

lerroy
Old 03-28-01, 10:36 PM

RCE

Pls note that 'Urban Legend part 2' DVD is also came with RCE.

To be safe, do not purchase any new dvd titles that release by Col/Tri studio and release after oct 2000, changes of all this new dvd will come with RCE.

BTW, Perfect Storm do not come with RCE.
Old 04-04-01, 04:49 AM

Final Urban part 2 will have RCE with it.
To be safe, don't buy dvd that from TRISTAR/COL studio.
Old 04-06-01, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, Charlie's Angels IS RCE encoded.
Old 03-25-05, 01:55 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know if V-The Complete Series (19 Episodes) has the RCE Code on it or is it just movie DVD this code is placed on. V was only released to region 1 but i have a multi region dvd player.

Thanks,

Scoobie.