Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Basia-singer footage needed

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Basia-singer footage needed

Old 10-28-15, 04:33 AM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basia-singer footage needed

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some old footage with Basia - a recording Artist to buy -Interviews, live performances/ concerts on VHS or DVD. Letterman, Leno, Arsenio Hall etc. Thank you so much for your help.
Michael
P.S I'm so sorry if I put that message in a wrong section.

Last edited by Futura10; 11-01-15 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 05:36 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,657
Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Originally Posted by Futura10
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some old footage with Basia - a recording Artist to buy -Interviews, live performances/ concerts on VHS or DVD. Thank you so much for your help.
Michael
P.S I'm so sorry if I put that message in a wrong section.
Could you please tell us a little something about Basia? Never heard of her (him? it?).
Old 10-28-15, 06:46 AM
  #3  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Hi Ash, sure.
Basia is a fantastic singer. She established a successful international recording career featuring characteristically Latin-flavoured jazz-pop crossover songs during the late 1980s and early 1990s and the late 2000s and 2010s, particularly in the United States, the United Kingdom, France, and Japan. She is noted for possessing a wide vocal range, approximately three octaves that span from contralto to soprano tessituras, as well as her singular jazz-influenced stylings and multi-layered harmonies. She has sold a few million of albums. Her best known albums are 'Time and Tide' , 'London Warsaw New York.' One of her big hits is called Cruising for Bruising'.

There is some footage on YouTube but not much really.

I wanted to post some photos of her here but I can't see that option.

Michael

Last edited by Futura10; 10-28-15 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 07:48 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,657
Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Originally Posted by Futura10
Hi Ash, sure.
Basia is a fantastic singer. She established a successful international recording career featuring characteristically Latin-flavoured jazz-pop crossover songs during the late 1980s and early 1990s and the late 2000s and 2010s, particularly in the United States, the United Kingdom, France, and Japan. She is noted for possessing a wide vocal range, approximately three octaves that span from contralto to soprano tessituras, as well as her singular jazz-influenced stylings and multi-layered harmonies. She has sold a few million of albums. Her best known albums are 'Time and Tide' , 'London Warsaw New York.' One of her big hits is called Cruising for Bruising'.

There is some footage on YouTube but not really much.

I wanted to post some photos of her here but I can't see that option.

Michael
Thanks. That's very helpful. Was she ever on "Soul Train"? I used to tape episodes of that back in the day.
Old 10-28-15, 07:54 AM
  #5  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Thanks. That's very helpful. Was she ever on "Soul Train"? I used to tape episodes of that back in the day.
I have no idea, Ash. I know there is some stuff like live performances, interviews but not many on youtube. Maybe I could ask you for some advice as where else I should place my message.

Thanks.
Michael
Old 10-28-15, 02:43 PM
  #6  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Ha! Not a Soul Train type of singer. YouTube "Time and Tide" to hear the one song she's somewhat known for. I assume she has other songs as well. I always figured she's a much bigger known name in Europe and maybe Asia. But she was never really known beyond that one song in the US.
Old 10-28-15, 03:13 PM
  #7  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Ha! Not a Soul Train type of singer. YouTube "Time and Tide" to hear the one song she's somewhat known for. I assume she has other songs as well. I always figured she's a much bigger known name in Europe and maybe Asia. But she was never really known beyond that one song in the US.
She has got huge fan base in the USA. Read YouTube comments so I guess she is known for more than Time and Tide :-)

In 1990 she performed in Radio City Music Hall (sold out concerts) and in 1994 she had 13 concerts on Broadway which were sold out as well.

I'm not going to lose my hope. Someone must have something :-)

Last edited by Futura10; 10-28-15 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 07:42 PM
  #8  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

You may want to ask the huge USA fan base on YouTube :-p.

Just ribbing you, good luck on the search.
Old 10-28-15, 10:26 PM
  #9  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Originally Posted by trespoochies
You may want to ask the huge USA fan base on YouTube :-p.

Just ribbing you, good luck on the search.
There is no need to be ironic and mean :-)

I have met Basia recently. She is such a wonderful person.

Last edited by Futura10; 10-28-15 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 09:35 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
manicsounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Basia - A New Day

Includes interviews and music videos.
Out of print, but was issued on DVD in Japan.
It came out in the US but on VHS and Laserdisc only.

Old 10-30-15, 04:40 AM
  #11  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Hi,
Thanks for sharing it.
It's a great release but I couldn't find it on DVD. The interview is on YouTube plus a few videos. I have a Japanese laserdisc. In the interview she says how her album 'London Warsaw New York' was made. I recommend it.
Old 10-31-15, 03:23 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,657
Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Originally Posted by Futura10
Hi,
Thanks for sharing it.
It's a great release but I couldn't find it on DVD. The interview is on YouTube plus a few videos. I have a Japanese laserdisc. In the interview she says how her album 'London Warsaw New York' was made. I recommend it.
Since Basia had significant exposure in the U.S., as I've learned from reading this thread, you might want to also post this request in Music Talk. People who are more knowledgeable about music tend to gravitate there instead of this forum.
Old 10-31-15, 05:11 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
E_v_i_l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Never heard of her before reading this thread but this song is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mXUgwHzRgA
Old 11-01-15, 06:28 AM
  #14  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

[QUOTE=E_v_i_l;12632980]Never heard of her before reading this thread but this song is pretty good:

Yeah, 'Cruising for Bruising' is a great song. Glad you like it.
Sometimes her music is described as sophisticated pop/ jazzy.

Thanks Ash. I have just done it. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-03-15, 06:55 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,657
Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

Originally Posted by Futura10
Thanks Ash. I have just done it. Fingers crossed.
Well, I guess I was wrong. Not much response there. Sorry.

You learn something new about this board every day.
Old 11-04-15, 02:27 PM
  #16  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Basia-singer footage needed

A bit disappointed but I'm not giving up :-)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.