Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Site for Japanese DVDs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Site for Japanese DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-01, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I'm interested in picking up some Japanese DVDs - specifically some Kurosawa films that haven't had an R1 release and some of the Ultraman films and shows, especially some of the original series (and yes, I recognize the disparity and humor in those selections!). Can anyone recommend a good online place (in English) that handles Japanese DVDs? I do have a region-free player that can convert NTSC and PAL signals.

Thanks...
Old 01-07-01, 02:48 AM

Link for Japan and other Foreign Countries DVD for obscure underground hard-to-find movies: www.adrenafilm.com
The website is mostly in German but as alot of pictures and do email them in English, they understand and will email back in English as well. I sure too would like to know more websites, anyone else?
Old 01-07-01, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.hivizone.com and www.dddhouse.com I believe are the most recommended places?
Old 01-08-01, 03:31 AM

At the Asian DVD Guide you'll find a selection of movies that have been released in Hong Kong which you best buy at the places ravan recommended.
And there're are some released in Japan with English subtitles which you can buy at CD Japan or Sazuma.
Old 01-09-01, 08:09 AM

Poker Industries [www.pokerindustries.com] has Kurosawa and other Japanese DVDs.
Old 01-09-01, 11:15 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the information on various sites. I've begun to check them out. I need to get a few non-R1 DVDs to test out my new Sampo DVE-620. It did work wonderfully with the R2 Buffy the Vampire Slayer box set, and handled the PAL to NTSC conversion fine too, but I'd like to try a few other regions also.

Thanks again
Old 01-12-01, 12:07 AM

Kept getting 'error' messages trying to search on www.sazuma.com
Apparently you have to register before you search. Got the 'error' message again trying to register. Help.

------------------
Man Without The Movie Camera
Old 01-31-01, 11:55 PM

I have no errors when searching on sazuma.
For Kurosawa movies, the quality of the Hong Kong releases that can be found at pokerindustries is good.
A+,
Old 02-01-01, 03:38 AM

Well you have two choices for your ordering. For the HK Japanese discs you can basically order them at any hk online store that deals with dvds as they are commonly available. A list of retailers can be found at asiandvdguide.com. A word of warning regarding the Mei Ah Kurosawa dvds. I'm not sure how much of a serious fan you are, but the Mei Ah dvds all feature what are atrocious english translations at best. This is above and beyond the usual english translations found on any hk disc. The subtitles are basically bastardized and definitely take away from the epic scope of the films. If you've seen any of the films on some of the well subtitled domestic vhs releases you will likely be disappointed by the quality of the translation. If you can understand Japanese its not as much of an issue as the video quality is relatively good for most of the films. Be forewarned that many of them are flippers as well.

As for the Ultraman series, there have been numerous releases in Japan from the series. CDJapan is likely your best bet (www.cdjapan.co.jp). You won't find any copies with english subtitles, not sure if this matters to you or not. The prices will be pretty sky high, you're likely looking at 40-50 US a disc. In HK many of the ultraman features have been put out on vcd, non-eng subtitled of course. The Ultraman Tiga Final Odyssey movie was released on dvd as well, minus any eng subs again. The HK vcds are likely a better bet unless you have a serious amount of change burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 02-02-01, 01:48 AM

also try "www.yesasia.com". American site that stocks Korean, Japanese, Main Land Chinese and Overseas Chinese stuff. Think of an oriental amazon.