Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

R4 (Australian) buying advice

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know from experience that UK CD's, at least through the late 90's, didn't always come shrink-wrapped. I believe this was also true for Australian CD's, although perhaps over a different time frame. So far I have not found this true for DVD's, or at least those from major studios. So to anybody who knows, what percentage of new Australian DVD's have sold without shrink wrap? If it helps, the studio is Warner Brothers and the movie went on sale in either October 2003, January 2007, or both dates (i.e. a re-release). Basically, I am eyeing a "brand new" DVD on EBay Australia, and to my eyes something doesn't look quite right...although I currently own just two R4 releases. Thanks!
Old 06-07-12, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: R4 (Australian) buying advice

You could always go for a reputable Australian retailer - unless, of course, it has to be Ebay due to price or the item being out of print.

You could look at DevotedDVD or EZYDVD, both of whom ship internationally.
Old 06-08-12, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What doesn't look right about it?
Old 06-08-12, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
You could always go for a reputable Australian retailer - unless, of course, it has to be Ebay due to price or the item being out of print.
That's the problem; it's oop.

Originally Posted by manicsounds
What doesn't look right about it?
Partly what I mentioned above. The DVD is being sold as new, but doesn't appear to be shrink-wrapped. Second, it's in a clear keep case, which seems odd for a bare-bones (not even a trailer) release from 2003. A clear case suggests something printed on the reverse side of the artwork. (What could it be?) Now it's quite possible I'm just being paranoid, but the shrink wrap question is still a good thing to know, as I've been trawling ebay.com.au very regularly.
Old 06-08-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you mind linking it?
Old 06-11-12, 04:08 PM

In the end, I learned that some Aussie DVD's are indeed sold without the shrink wrap, particularly those at big retail chains, who sometimes remove the disk from the case for "security purposes". Personally, I think this causes unnecessary work for the store and potential frustration for the customer...but then my opinion doesn't really count. After a chat with the seller, I went ahead and made the purchase. One more out-of-print region 4 down. Thanks to everybody who responded.
Old 06-12-12, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of the Warner stuff is available in Korean or Chinese versions which are pirate copies AFAIK. Maybe its a resale of one of those?

What subtitle options are there? Also what title is it? I'm in Aus and can see if its around.
Old 06-12-12, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by nitin77
Also what title is it? I'm in Aus and can see if its around.
The DVD I just bought is "True Stories" (David Byrne, 1986). I'm sure it's an official R4, but sadly has no subtitles or extras at all. I am still wanting a few others, though, and will PM you the list. Australia has the GDP to eventually lure Amazon, I think, but for now it's frustrating that when a title goes OOP, it seems to fall of the face of the earth (as opposed to Amazon Marketplace, where there are usually a few copies of everything collecting dust). Thanks!