Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does 800.com mean customs to Canada?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Does 800.com mean customs to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-00, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Their site seems to say yes... but i'm still wondering, they use USPS and if I recall correctly... they do charge customs on that one, but I want confirmation.

Juju, you seem to not like 800.com, but they do seem to have some good deals (except for shipping)
Old 11-26-00, 04:15 PM

You'll surely pay customs for orders placed at 800.com.

All my orders from them were taxed even when I tried to send them as "gift" -- if there is no value listed, the customs will open the box and (over)estimate the price you have paid

If they were shipping in slightly smaller boxes, maybe it could go through free of charges...

But in any case, if you can get a VERY good discount using coupons and other promotions, you only end paying the sale taxes and a $5.00 handling fee -- that's still a lot better than many retailers in Canada.
Old 11-26-00, 04:54 PM

Without coupons (useful ones, not $30 off $150) and/or GCs, I just don't see the point.

The only good deals I can find are some individually low-priced DVDs. They put a couple new releases on sale to get people's attention, and that's about it.

Electronics are fine if you don't mind not having a warranty. None the electronics specify US-only warranty, but they all are - funny that they don't mention this even when they know their shipping outside the US. Not very nice of them.

IMHO, when you factor in their high shipping, and no customs bypass, 800 is not favourable. Might as well go with Express if you insist on a US etailer. (Contrary to rumours of their demise, I've received 3 orders from Express in the past 3 weeks - all went right past customs.)

------------------
GoldfishLegs.com <-- Canadian Deals, Steals, & Free Goldfish Therapy
Old 11-26-00, 06:35 PM

18 months ago when I got my DVD Player from them, it was a great deal (only paid GST and they gave free shipping), however at this time the prices in Canada weren't as reasonable as they are now. (I also got the 5 free DVD's from the Manufacturer and 32 from 800.com -- something not being offered in Canada).

Like Jujubee says "No Warranty" -- considering that my Toshiba player could use a firmware upgrade, this no warranty is slight inconvenience (it was worth the few hundred dollars I saved at the time).

Like boise00 said, count on the $5.00 handling charge and PST and GST on the pre-coupon total. If it still works out to a good deal with these extra costs, then go for it, otherwise its a gamble.

Check-out some of the Canadian retails -- you may find some deals there also. Jujubee has a site with all them listed.
Old 11-26-00, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Careful: I made a big order using the coupons + BFL a while back. I figured the customs fees would be tolerable since I chose the "ship all items at once" option and this was a large order. However, 800.com decide to ship the items separately, presumably because they were trying to be nice by shipping separately and not charging extra for shipping (at least that's what they said when I complained). I had to cancel and they acknowledged but another item shipped a few days later. Then I really had to complain, and they did their best to make up for their errors.