Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

R2 Men in Black Limited Edition

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

R2 Men in Black Limited Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-00, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my one from www.Play247.com a while back.

Bearing in mind that this doesn't get released until September. Play have sold out of their 1000 allocated copies. I got it for their as always cheap r2 price of £17.99. Most of the other r2 e-tailers have got it on pre-order for anything from £20-£25.

The disk will be amazing, and is a r2 first in techno terms. It's a 2 disc set, one dvd-18 and a dvd-9, the dvd-18 being a r2 first. It features various multi-angle stuff and a edit-room feature, in which you can apparently mess around with various scenes. Both widescreen and full-screen versions are on the limited edition.

Don't get the standard 'collectors edition' if you can grab the Limited Edition, which looks like it's going to be one mumma of a disc.

------------------
Wicked
Old 06-30-00, 12:21 PM

Yes, but it's still "Men In Black", regardless of how many extras they shove on there... Maybe they could do a version with all the extras, but just leave off the actual film?
Old 06-30-00, 12:36 PM

A time will come when you realise that even the Matrix isn't that much of a great film, but people still buy it for that damn white rabbit.

I'm sure most would agree that even though, yes I agree aswell, Men in Black is not an Oscar winner. But if you enjoy the wonders of DVD then this is a must for anybody's collection.

[This message has been edited by Essexboy (edited June 30, 2000).]
Old 06-30-00, 12:57 PM

Yeah, well it only cost me £17 from DVDStreet... guess I can always Ebay the sucker if it stinks up my collection too bad
Old 06-30-00, 01:01 PM

I hope you bought the collectors edition with some review points or something 'cos I'd hate for you to get the bog standard edition. The collectors edition is priced £22.99 at dvdstreet, cheeper elsewhere if you look.
Old 06-30-00, 01:45 PM
Cool New Member

Just be sure to get the R1 DTS Version - it just sucks that there is no R2 DTS Version.
Old 06-30-00, 01:57 PM

But seeing as how I'm currently listening to DVDs through my crappy old stereo, I think DTS is a little overkill. And it is the super-special edition, I got it through the Freeserve 17.5% off link. Actually more like £19, but still, I can just about live with paying that much...
Old 06-30-00, 02:10 PM

And the DTS r1 version is not the collectors edition. The collectors ed is DD 5.1.

Nobody seems sure either, that whehter or not the r1 collectors edition contains all the same features as the r2. Anyway, it's a simultaneous release, and r2 is usually the way to go.
Old 07-02-00, 07:47 PM

Anybody else getting this one? Or is it just me?

Old 07-04-00, 02:10 PM

Yep, I am getting LE R1 though, as the R2 is cut, plus I think the limits on the number of discs for the R2 release will mean a lot of disappointed people - and.. I got it for free too.....

------------------
Click here for a great new forum on HIFI and Home Cinema.

Click here for reviews of many paid to surf schemes.

Wap Site
Old 07-04-00, 02:45 PM

I think your a bit confused here....the r2 version is not cut. The word 'prick' is replaced with something like 'loser' twice in the film, yes only twice. So I think most of us can cope.

And the r1 version is no way near as superior, features wise, as the r2 version. Even though you may have clicked for 10 hours on jaboom to get it free, you'll probably be better off getting some other r1 disc, and buying the PAL r2 MIB LE.

Old 07-04-00, 02:58 PM

Yep, they replaced it with a fairly poorly dubbed 'jerk' on the VHS I had. It just annoys me enough to get the R1, especially as it will save me 18 quid too. The feature set on the R2 and R1 LE is identical too.

------------------
Click here for a great new forum on HIFI and Home Cinema.

Click here for reviews of many paid to surf schemes.

Wap Site
Old 07-04-00, 02:59 PM

Well, that's your opinion. PAL will always be superior. I'm sure that if you weren't so tight, you'd be getting the r2 version.

If anybody on this earth had the choice they would get the far more collectable r2 version.
http://www.dvdreview.co.uk/
Old 07-04-00, 03:30 PM

You can leave your 'Essex' insults at the front door thanks. If you have a good setup PAL and NTSC are of little noticable consequence.
Old 07-05-00, 08:49 AM

Oh I'm sorry, I do appologise...and anyway, who are you to tell me what I can and can't say here? I just find it irritating when some a*se gets big headed in here.
Old 07-07-00, 03:49 AM

When it comes to DVD, the PAL vs. NTSC argument is not simple - according to the high end Home Theater professionals at www.avsforum.com ....

If the DVD bitrate is 30% higher than R1 NTSC (to compensate for higher resolution), then yes, the R2 PAL can be clearly superior.

But at the same bitrate, there can be more MPEG2 compression artifacts because of the excessive compression on R2 - trying to compress 30% more resolution into the same space. For example, R1 "Fifth Element" looks slightly better than R2 "Fifth Element" especially on a good progressive scan Home Theater setup (doublers/scalers/progressive scan players).

I actually have seen this myself; some R1 DVD's indeed does look vastly superior to R2 DVD's. On the other hand, some R2 DVD's do look superior (ie R2 Armageddon dual layer).

See photos of my 92" setup at www.marky.com/hometheater ...

DVD is essentially MPEG2 ... It does not utilize the analog PAL or NTSC bandwidth; you can even bypass the analog PAL and NTSC altogether by using a progressive scan DVD player or a computer to play the DVD's to a big screen VGA display - the DVD 720x480 (R1) or 720x576 (R2) pixel map will just be remapped to the current display resolution (usually, using bilinear interpolation for remove pixellation during scaling to higher resolutions).

Some gigantic progressive scan displays that do not use PAL or NTSC, can be found at:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/001066.html

By keeping DVD in native digital format (or super-high-resolution analog format such as HDTV or VGA), and bypassing the conversion of R2 DVD data to analog PAL output, or R1 DVD data to analog NTSC output, the PAL-vs-NTSC argument becomes moot; now it depends on how good the transfer is; MPEG2 blockiness; sharpness; graininess; background noise; etc. In these situations, many R1 DVD's are superior to R2 DVD's of the same title.

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited July 07, 2000).]
Old 07-07-00, 10:25 AM

That actually is quite interesting, thanks. Still leaves the question whether or not the r2 collectors edition will be better than the r1.....IMHO I think r2 will be the better.

Old 07-19-00, 08:11 AM

Read a full review of it here.
www.dvdweb.co.uk

Old 07-19-00, 11:16 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

folks... I have the idea that the DTS-version is going to kick ass. There has already been a huge thread about the use of SE... IMHO I don't care about SE because I only watch the extra's once (if even) and picture/sound quality is THE most important thing. That's why I wait for R1 DTS.
(plus the R1 is cheaper with all the coupons flooting around)

I must say that the R2 LE DD looks good!

Old 07-19-00, 12:46 PM

Essexboy:

You say "And the r1 version is no way near as superior, features wise, as the r2 version"

Where do you get your information?

I have the R1 2 disk set on order, but if the R2 has more features/better features, then I would cancel and order R2.

Do you have any comparison information?

I'm genuinly asking folks - don't flame me (there seems to be to much of that at the moment)