International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

CUSTOMS DUTY

Old 06-21-00, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAN ANYONE TELL ME DO YOU PAY DUTY AND VAT ON THE SHIPPING COST I SENT FOR 2 DVDS ON PRIORITY SHIPPING FROM REEL THEY CAME ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO THEN TODAY I GET A INVOICE FROM DHL WANTING £20.19 IT READS GOODS VALUE £24.43 FREIGHT VALUE £17.73 AND THEY HAVE CHARGED DUTY AND VAT ON BOTH THAT CAME TO £8.67 THEN DHL CHARGED VAT TO THE £8.67 AGAIN + £10.00 ADMIN COSTS WHAT A SET OF ROBBING BASTARDS
Old 06-21-00, 05:31 PM

Yes, that's what happens when you use a courier service like this -- they charge to the fullest extent, mainly because they are much more accountable to the VAT man.

If you'd used the normal shipping method from Reel (DHL Worldmail) then it turns into the normal postal service at your end. If you've ordered a big package (over £18) then it might get caught -- in which case you'll end up paying about 20% extra in import tax, VAT and charges from the post office.
Old 06-21-00, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Moral of the story: DON'T ever use priority mail! The courier companies will ALWAYS sting you again for customs charges and admin and everything. If you go Worldmail, then at least you'll only get customified the once. And if you read the fine print at the HM Customs and Excise website, shipping costs ARE included in the price when it comes to calculating import taxes, contrary to what some people might try and have you beleive.
Old 06-21-00, 07:16 PM
bsc

<small>
quote:<HR>Originally posted by MOZZ: CAN ANYONE TELL ME DO YOU PAY DUTY AND VAT ON THE SHIPPING COST [....] WHAT A SET OF ROBBING BASTARDS <HR>
</small>This might be worth a try. Write and ask them why you weren't charged the extra duties at the time of delivery. Explain that if you had been made aware of the charges then you would have refused to accept the parcel and would have allowed it to have been sent back. You have now opened it, unaware of any charges, and so cannot now refuse delivery. Their delay is the cause of you facing this unexpected bill.

If the printout detailing the charges is hard to decipher then query each and every item. If it is almost meaningless or you think that there are double or unwarranted charges then make a big deal of it.

When the same happened to me, on my second ever overseas CD purchase several years ago, DHL (or whovever it was) let me off. Their bill had taken a month to arrive but the principle is the same.

With regard to the VAT on postage, I don't think this is clear cut. I had always assumed that P&P was VAT free. Then I read a newspaper article that said the £18 limit included the P&P. I rang up Customs and spoke to someone with a poor grasp of English and not much knowledge of the regs. She said the £18 limit included P&P and that postage was VATable. Eventually she offered to send me a booklet after I asked for something in writing. My reading of the booklet was that the £18 import limit (for CD/DVD etc - not books) did not include postage. If it isn't included in that part of the regs why would it be included elsewhere. Let us know how you get on! (If I can find the booklet I'll post the relevant paragraphs).

As Jim says, avoid priority mail. I used it by mistake after missing an option on the website and effectively wasted a coupon! The shame of it!

Old 06-21-00, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You ARE (or at least, SHOULD BE) charged on shipping. What you are charged on is the "Purchase Price Abroad" which includes EVERYTHING;
quote:<HR>[NB: Purchase Price Abroad (PPA) = cost (inc. any local Sales Taxes) + postage, packing and/or freight + insurance]
<small>Source: HM Customs and Excise Website</small><HR>

But, on another page on the same site, we also find that;
quote:<HR>3.3 Can I get relief from Duty or VAT on any goods?

Yes. EC agreements allow relief from charges on certain imported goods if they:

- have an intrinsic value of £18 or less although this particular relief does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters which are covered in paragraph 3.4. The intrinsic value is the actual value of the goods excluding postage, packing and other miscellaneous costs.<HR>

Bizarro... I'm not quite sure what to think now... Maybe the £18 limit only applies to imports from within the EC? But then, what's the limit on imports from OUTSIDE the EC? Damn, I'm confused now...

[This message has been edited by TheyCallHimJim (edited June 21, 2000).]
Old 06-21-00, 10:24 PM

the reason i went priority is that when the packages were sent normal dhl 2 out of 5 would never get here so i thought i will get a big preorder list together have them shipped priority throughout the months ahead then would you believe after just receiving 3 out of my list of 20 the place shuts down leaving me well ****** off i would not of minded paying the eight pound odd duties but they are taking the piss with admin charges and vat on top of vat i had just had charged by customs anyway i will write to them as suggested and i definitely wont go priority again ........they are all a set of thieves

------------------