Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I get a specific DVD.?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Where can I get a specific DVD.?

Old 06-16-00, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking for a French film called Dobermann. It was released in Taiwan by Forel on DVD, but I have no idea where to find this one. I checked with Asian CD and they don't carry it. I am stuck. Can anyone help me witht his one?

-C

Old 06-16-00, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't bother trying to get the Taiwanese version, it's on general release in the UK, so that version'll be a lot easier to find. Go to blackstar.co.uk and it'll be something like UKú17.99, which includes free shipping to anywhere in the world.
Old 06-16-00, 02:38 PM

The UK version? Is it PAL? I am in Canada and I have a Sony DVD player and PS2 (which can break regional code). I have a Toshiba TW40x81, but I don't think it can accept a PAL signal. That is why I wanted the NTSC one.
Old 06-16-00, 02:40 PM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cferriera:
The UK version? Is it PAL? I am in Canada and I have a Sony DVD player and PS2 (which can break regional code). I have a Toshiba TW40x81, but I don't think it can accept a PAL signal. That is why I wanted the NTSC one.<HR>

"what is PS2?" she asks tentatively....

thanks.

catperson

Old 06-16-00, 02:43 PM

Playstation 2. Japanese import game console. DVD based. The early shipments of it were recalled because they had the ability to break regional coding. They run about 599$ USD, but I am not sure if Sony got rid of the ablilty to break the region code.
Old 06-16-00, 02:58 PM

quote:<HR>I am not sure if Sony got rid of the ablilty to break the region code.[/B]<HR>

Yes, they did, and they did it ASAP with massive embarrasement to themselves, as they were one of the original pioneers of the Region Coding scheme and strongly encourage its enforcement!
Thats not even mentioning the cock-up they also made with the easy disabling of Macrovision via the RGB port....

Great console - NOT!
--------------
Welshlad

[This message has been edited by Welshlad (edited June 16, 2000).]
Old 06-19-00, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw Doberman in HMV Tokyo and its not cheap but its Dolby Digital and sure the quality is nice,but the price is a bit high though.
I remember someone asking about Japanese DVD's and do they have english subtitles..well some have and some don't.I saw Gohatto, Hana-Bi, The Owls Castle(2 DVD) and it has english subtitles.
Not all the DVD's have english subtiles but allmost all manga's have english subtitles.

------------------
My slow growing collectionhttp://www.dvdtracker.com/~kumarav

[This message has been edited by Kumar J (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old 06-19-00, 06:55 AM

Kumar J,
I was the one asking about subtitled Japanese DVDs. Are you sure about the subtitles in manga DVDs? I only know about (and already have) the MEMORIES boxset and the second Tenchi Muyo movie in DTS. Although a lot of anime releases have an English dub as well, but that's not quite the fun.
Old 06-19-00, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dear Obsidian, I don't buy anime DVD but i can check it out any manga you want me too. But i can only do that next saturday. They have ton's of anime available.And the bad thing is the price.
Well hope i be a help to you
Old 06-19-00, 11:41 AM

Hi Kumar J,
don't bother looking for DVDs with subtitles. I was just surprised by your statement, as I didn't find any subtitled Anime while browsing through Sazuma's catalogue. But many thanks for the offer.