Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

there are plenty of bootlegs at HK flix, pan media and red sun stuff has to be at least half their inventory. then alfa digital stuff like all those italian 70s stuff. i don't know about the malaysian stuff so i stay away from it just in case but many of the taiwanese stuff are boots, not all but many. anyone who doesn't think hk flix sells boots should be introduced to the internet.
Old 11-21-09, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Dumb question but do you think the site caught any flack for selling Multi-Region Players?
I too had started to wonder the same thing.
Old 11-22-09, 03:50 PM

Thinking about importing one of these Momitsu region free Blu Ray players to the UK. Currently use an imported PS3 which is locked to Region A so a region free BD player would be superb, I actually didn't know these existed yet.
Old 11-23-09, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

For those who have the Curtis Mathes 130 - has anyone tried to flash the firmware with the Momitsu? If so, how is it? I have the Region B Spinal Tap that won't play, so I'm debating whether or not to do that to see if it'll work that way.
Old 11-24-09, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
For those who have the Curtis Mathes 130 - has anyone tried to flash the firmware with the Momitsu? If so, how is it? I have the Region B Spinal Tap that won't play, so I'm debating whether or not to do that to see if it'll work that way.
You can try it yourself and if it does not help flash back to CM firmware. Remember however that you will need a Momitsu (or Harmony) remote to operate the player with the Momitsu firmware (as well as the CM remote to turn the player on/off).
Old 11-25-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

does anybody know if the Curtes Mathes 130 is still available anywhere, even from a 3rd party seller?

The only one I can find is $299 on amazon
Old 11-25-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
does anybody know if the Curtes Mathes 130 is still available anywhere, even from a 3rd party seller?

The only one I can find is $299 on amazon
Amazon Marketplace was where I got mine. Paid $170.XX shipped and at the time the seller was also selling one on Ebay for the same price. It had a "Buy It Now" price of the same, but it looks like it got picked up.

All the retailers that sold it when it was at it's $99 seem to be Sold Out of it or stopped carrying it entirely. The same goes with the other known Momitsu Clones like the Sherwood or the Vision Quest.

I would just keep my eye out on Amazon Marketplace to see if another Curtis Mathes shows up cheaper. Or even cruise a couple of the big DVD/BD forums to see if anyone is selling theirs.

Last edited by asianxcore; 11-25-09 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-25-09, 02:19 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by cine
You can try it yourself and if it does not help flash back to CM firmware. Remember however that you will need a Momitsu (or Harmony) remote to operate the player with the Momitsu firmware (as well as the CM remote to turn the player on/off).
Yeah, that was my plan. I was just wondering if anyone else had already tried this. I'll be doing this tonight. I already have both Momitsu and Curtis codes in the Harmony remote.
Old 11-30-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that was my plan. I was just wondering if anyone else had already tried this. I'll be doing this tonight. I already have both Momitsu and Curtis codes in the Harmony remote.
Did changing/upgrading the firmware fix the problem you were having with your Spinal Tap BD?

I originally had a problem with the Curtis X130 playing the Region A version of Up. It would loop back to the BD Menu when you attempted to play the film. Once I upgraded the Curtis X130 with the firmware I got from CS, it played perfectly.

On a random note, I just got the 3 Region B BD's I ordered from Amazon UK (Leon, Martyrs, Switchblade Romance). Excitement!
Old 12-02-09, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Hmm, the disc tray on my 799 shakes audibly when going in and out. Do you think this is worth exchanging it for? I don't want to be stuck with a dead player, but I also don't want to be sending them back and forth over and over because of minor problems.
Did you fix this issue? I have the same player (got it yesterday) and when the tray opens/closes there is a loud grating sound. Turns out it is the window rubbing against the bottom of the tray.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I don't want to send it back because HKflix got out of the hardware business and there is no guarantee that a new player wouldn't have the same issue. I'm fearing for long term life of my player.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-02-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm starting to notice some issues with my Sherwood. Initially, I was only going to use it for non-region 1/A stuff, but my PS3 ate shit after the last update, so I've been having to use the Sherwood for all my BD needs. I noticed recently second-long audio dropouts on certain BDs, including Gladiator. Not sure if it is because of a chapter mark or seamless branching area. Also, a couple of BDs have shown video glitches during film edits. One of them was on X-Men, but I paused and hit the step button, and the video glitch is still there, so maybe it is a fault with the disc itself. Also, I was too quick to think this machine is a flawless PAL converter. About one in four PAL discs exhibit a frame skip/judder as if it is trying to catch up to the audio.
Old 12-02-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kfugrip
Did you fix this issue? I have the same player (got it yesterday) and when the tray opens/closes there is a loud grating sound. Turns out it is the window rubbing against the bottom of the tray.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I don't want to send it back because HKflix got out of the hardware business and there is no guarantee that a new player wouldn't have the same issue. I'm fearing for long term life of my player.

Thanks for any help.
I haven't solved this, but I have heard from a few others that this is the way this player sounds. I'm letting it go, it doesn't seem to be getting worse, so for right now I'm going to assume it will be fine.
Old 12-02-09, 09:22 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Did changing/upgrading the firmware fix the problem you were having with your Spinal Tap BD?

I originally had a problem with the Curtis X130 playing the Region A version of Up. It would loop back to the BD Menu when you attempted to play the film. Once I upgraded the Curtis X130 with the firmware I got from CS, it played perfectly.
Heh, I never got a chance to. I ran out of DVD-R's, and I just kept pushing it off. I have some now, so I want to give it a shot within the next couple of days. It's just them damn final exams I got going on....blah.

I'll let you know as soon as I do though. Glad to hear the firmware fixed your issue.
Old 12-03-09, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, I never got a chance to. I ran out of DVD-R's, and I just kept pushing it off. I have some now, so I want to give it a shot within the next couple of days. It's just them damn final exams I got going on....blah.

I'll let you know as soon as I do though. Glad to hear the firmware fixed your issue.
It may or may not fix your problem, but I guess it's worth a shot. I only have 4 Region B Blu-Rays to test out on the Curtis X130 and all have played alright.

Also I have to mention the Curtis Mathes CS was extremely fast in shipping out the newest firmware on disc to me, since I don't know how to burn disc images
Old 12-05-09, 05:21 AM

I heard a rumor that Momitsu is selling their region-free players on eBay now that HKFlix.com stopped selling them. Is there any truth to this?
Old 12-05-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
I heard a rumor that Momitsu is selling their region-free players on eBay now that HKFlix.com stopped selling them. Is there any truth to this?
You can't access eBay yourself?

Right now, there's only one eBay listing for any Momitsu DVD player, the Momitsu 799, and it's not from Momitsu:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230401683982
Old 12-07-09, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You can't access eBay yourself?[/url]
Sure, I just wasn't sure if the user in question ("onlinefred62") represented Momitsu or not.

Has anyone ordered a player from this user?
Old 12-08-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anybody update their Momitsu 899 with the latest Momitsu Firmware?
Old 12-09-09, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
Did anybody update their Momitsu 899 with the latest Momitsu Firmware?
I did update my 799 - maybe I can be of service, too.

PS: funny titles in your Invelos online collection for a upstate NY resident
Old 12-09-09, 08:45 AM

Is there a firmware update for the 799? Mine was manufactured Aug '09, would it still need it? Where would I find the FW?
Old 12-09-09, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Is there a firmware update for the 799? Mine was manufactured Aug '09, would it still need it? Where would I find the FW?
On Momitu's website (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links as I don't have 30+ posts)

momitsu.com/bdp_799_firmware.html
Old 12-09-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lazertron
I did update my 799 - maybe I can be of service, too.

PS: funny titles in your Invelos online collection for a upstate NY resident
I am assuming that the player is still able to play all regions after the firmware update, correct? I just want to make sure that I don't loose the all region function by updating the firmware.
MMMhhhh, which are the funny titles? You need funny titles up here. It snows alot!
Old 12-11-09, 02:56 PM

Quick Question.

What is the cheapest region free blu-ray player?
Old 12-11-09, 04:03 PM

@Dirk
HKFlix did a hardware mod on the 799 so updating the firmware is no risk at all.

I meant funny German titles
Old 12-11-09, 08:10 PM

I doubt they did a hardware mod. If that were the case then why all the remote codes?

Also, earlier in the thread a poster mentioned that a Momitsu CS person gave him the remote codes via e-mail, which leads me to believe that the firmware would not affect the units region status.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.