Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Indian Cinema [PART 4]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Indian Cinema [PART 4]

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flixtime
Oh well, here's a youtube trailer for a new Tamil superhero flick starring the likeable Vikram (ANNIYAN)...the movie - KANDASAMY - just hit theaters (with mediocre reviews), so we've got a bit of a wait until the DVD arrives:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eH5Qudb5Q
Looks like the wait for KANDASAMY on official DVD wasn't so long after all, it's now available (English-friendly of course).
Old 11-05-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Indian Cinema [PART 4]

Flixtime, thanks for the heads up. I forgot that I was waiting for that.
Old 11-05-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
Looks like the wait for KANDASAMY on official DVD wasn't so long after all, it's now available (English-friendly of course).
Where's it sold? It's not at Bhavanidvd.com yet...
Old 11-05-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was just listed at the Ayngaran UK e-tailer site, so maybe give it a few days for the supply to make its way to U.S. shops...of course you can always order it from Ayngaran UK but then too you have to factor in transit time for it to reach the U.S.
Old 11-10-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks Flixtime, I just ordered KANDASAMY from the Ayngaran UK site...American Indian retailers are so slow with Tamil dvds - they are just clueless with those big Tamil flicks that come out. Just because they sell mainly Hindi dvds does not give them the right to ignore the bit Tamil or Tegulu hits...
Old 11-10-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, as always, it is my pleasure to be of service.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of KANDASAMY; I haven't watched it yet. The distribution of Tamil flicks to shops here in the U.S. seems to be a little weaker than it was a few years ago...at least to my eyes. I wonder too if KANDASAMY - coming out quite a bit sooner as compared to the usual theater-to-DVD window - might be the reason for the lag in reaching U.S. shops...not sure, just thinking out loud. Generally speaking, I have a feeling the market to purchase Indian regional-language official DVDs just isn't very strong here in the U.S. It seems most of the customer base satisfy themselves via rentals only.
Old 11-10-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw 99 on the plane, not too bad. Although again, for what it is, a light caper comedy, 2.5 hrs is ridiculously long. Also has some laughable acting but overall the cast is charming enough.
Old 11-12-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Help! Can someone clarify what is going on with this supposed English-subtitled, ANAMORPHIC DVD or Blu Ray version of JODHAA AKBAR? Nitin? Flixtime? Anyone?

According forum people at zulm.net (http://www.zulm.net/forums/viewtopic...p=95993#p95993), there is a new DVD and Blu Ray release of JODHAA AKBAR with English subtitles by an Indian company called Big Home Video. There is rumors that the English subtitles are not in scope? I don't know what that means? I just want to know:
1. Is the DVD anamorphic and do the English subtitles fit normally on it without adjusting the image all over the place to make the subs fit?
2. Same question for the Blu Ray?
3. Where can I buy either? (please post links)

Is this a trustworthy site? http://www.moviemart.in/sales/Movie_...eid=8708&fmt=a
I'm afraid to give my credit card info to an indian dvd store in india...

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-13-09 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-13-09, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

toddly,

there is a new post in that thread which says that the dvd is not anamorphic and has poor video quality.

There is no more comments on the blu ray version but from the screenshots it looks anamorphic. No idea about the subs but that description seems to suggest they cut off. Not sure though.
Old 11-13-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What the hell is wrong with India? These companies make great versions of their crappy-ass movies and they can't just do a simple correct version of one of their recent masterpieces. How stupid are Indian video companies when it comes to their English-subtitled versions?

Look at some of the best Bollywood films released on English-subtitled dvd:
1. Devdas (pixilated)
2. Dil Se (only good anamorphic version is the dubbed Tamil version)
3. Jodhaa Akbar (one's not anamorphic and the other has English sub probs)
4. Hey Ram (the only available versions are worse-than-VHS versions, and the only anamorphic version is out-of-print and impossible to find)

Why??????? I don't get it.
Old 11-15-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, I can't offer any insight as to that new JODHAA AKBAR DVD release. I'd gather that the home viewing market in India isn't exactly up to the level that we have here in the U.S., so in that sense it'd seem very curious that this new DVD (which seems geared towards the Indian domestic market) would be much superior to what we got here in the U.S....all just some general speculation on my part. It'd be a shame if JODHAA AKBAR doesn't eventually get a better DVD release than what it has gotten so far. And for future reference, while I haven't used that Indian seller you linked to, I have used induna.com which is also in India...though their prices might be a little higher. Based on my experiences, I wouldn't have any concerns in dealing with induna.com...and the customer service was good too. Of course the site you mention might be fine as well.

As to your frustrations towards DVD releases in general as it pertains to the films you like, I think there is definitely a disconnect between what appeals to the Indian mass market versus what sort of Indian films appeal to International/Western audiences. Sure HEY RAM is terrific, but I doubt any Indian company would find financial reward in releasing a high quality version of an "old" movie like that. Granted, this general mindset applies to all world cinema if we are speaking on very broad terms. The buying market is predominantly interested in the latest and greatest...even here in the U.S. we get double-dips galore on newer films while older films get the DVD-R treatment from something like the Warner archive.
Old 11-18-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So per recent discussion at zulm.net, if one has a 1.85:1 HDTV screen, the Big Home Video Blu Ray version is the best English-subtitled version of this movie! I may have to change to Blu Ray soon then!
Old 11-19-09, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

saw Love Aaj Kal.

Definitely a disappointment despite having an interesting premise. There is just some ridiculously bad writing and directing in the second half.

But writer/Director Imtiaz Ali has shown me enough over his last two films to convince that he has a great film in him sometime in the future. Deepika Paudkone also improves considerable from previous films and could actually have a reasonable career.

And the period scenes were beautifully shot.
Old 11-20-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got my CHICKEN MAN (KANDASAMY) dvd in the mail today. I'll post a review of it as soon as I watch this 3-hour crazed film....
Old 11-20-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For KANDASAMY, haven't yet come across a rental copy with subtitles, but I did sample a few bits here and there, and it seems somewhat promising. Granted, you can't base too much on a minute of random sampling, but I think it could well turn out to be rather enjoyable...I hope. Looking forward to reading your review.
Old 11-20-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I just saw KANDASAMY. Fair movie. It's a shame because it was totally entertaining for 2 hours, then in the third act I just got bored and got lost. The direction was actually pretty good, highly influence from Tony Scott. The premise is not as silly as it sounds. It's like a cross between Robin Hood, Batman, and Brothers Grimm. There are three reasons to see this film:

'Chiyaan' Vikram: he's a pretty good actor. He's got some presence. I've only seen him in Anniyan and I thought he was better in this. The Chicken superhero stuff is pulled off well and wasn't as stupid as I expected.

The main girl has an awesome song at the beginning. I think it stole from Shakira. But this song is worth it to buy the DVD. She's pretty hot as well whatever her name is.

MUMAITH KHAN cameo. I didn't know who she is until this movie, but she's like a Carmen Elektra of India. She's pretty hot. She popps up towards the end of the movie to wake me up.

FILM: 6
DVD VIDEO: 8.5 (anamorphic video)
DVD AUDIO: 9 (Dolby Digital or DTS Tamil)
ENGLISH SUBTITLES: 6

Holy crap, I will edit the English subtitles for free for any Indian DVD company.
Old 11-21-09, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how can anything influenced from Tony Scott be good? The guy is seriously a hack.
Old 12-07-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flixtime or Nitin, yay or nay to ALADIN?
Old 12-07-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't watched it yet toddly...I've been in one of those - too many other things to watch/not in a mood for Indian cinema - phases lately. After recently watching superior first-tier efforts such as WATCHMEN (which gave me everything I thought the DARK KNIGHT would but didn't), UP, and DRAG ME TO HELL, I can't quite bring myself to risk a complete crash on something of perhaps inferior quality...I need to work my way off the high a little more gradually.
Old 12-07-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are a bunch of Yash Raj titles supposed to release on BD this week, I think I'll pick up a few of those for The Wife.
Old 12-08-09, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

havent seen Aladin either. Did see Billu Barber which has another impressive performance from Irfan Khan, some charming scenes and a hot little dance number with priyanka chopra. But its 138 min long with barely any sense of plot or pacing. Could have been passable if it was 30-40 min shorter.
Old 12-08-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flixtime, Nitin, and Zombeaner,
I'm think i'm going to bite for ALADIN. I've got to support any Bollywood movie with high production values. I did like special-effects filled DRONA and LOVE STORY 2050 which got harsh reviews, so I hope ALADIN won't be painful...

Also, has anyone seen a new "DVD" version of Jodhaa Akbar for sale which was copied from the Blu Ray?

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-08-09 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-11-09, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

saw Jaane Tu ya Jaane Na last night which was a surprisingly pleasant diversion even though it is ridiculously long at 152 min. Charming, if a little amateur at times, performances and some nice characterisations.
Old 12-14-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

saw Tahaan which flixtime recommended a while back and I cant share the enthusiasm unfortunately. Interesting concept, amateurish execution at best. The plotting is sloppy, the acting pretty weak (even from regulars like Rahul Khanna and Rahul Bose) and the cinematography is ill fitting (Sivan goes for a lot of "beautiful" shots which is contrary to a lot being shown on screen.

Also saw Chup Chup Ke which is basically as inane a hindi 'comedy' as you are likely to find.
Old 12-14-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I saw ALADIN this weekend and it was better than I expected. Like I said before, any Bollywood film with good film production and special effects seems to always get dissed. Aladin is certainly a good "time pass film". It's a shame that the city in the movie - Khwaish - is make-believe. It looked like an awesome city. Does anyone know if this city was totally a set/CGI? Did they actually film this movie in some historical old city? It reminded me of Toledo, Spain.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.