International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Question re: Carlotta's Monte Hellman set

Old 02-11-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Question re: Carlotta's Monte Hellman set

I inquired about this on the Criterion Forum, but didn't get a straight answer, so perhaps someone here knows about this release:

The Amazon Fr listing doesn't mention whether or not this has any forced subtitles on the films, and neither does Carlotta's site. I'd like to assume that there isn't, but I've learned not to take chances when it comes to French releases.
Old 02-12-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Question re: Carlotta's Monte Hellman set

My info is that there aren't imposed French subs on the discs.

Pro-B
Old 02-12-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks, pro-b. It's appreciated!
Old 12-19-10, 01:26 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or just bump this one, but since it's the same subject, I figured I'd bump it.

I've been wanting to get all 3 of the movies in this set, but in the US at this point, they're all either OOP or poor quality releases.

I've seen a few vague IMDB mentions that the aforementioned French boxset is a good release, but I'm having trouble finding actual reviews or first-hand impressions. Does anyone have this set and can vouch for its quality? I'm most interested in the movies being anamorphic and having decent A/V quality (doesn't have to be mindblowing or pristine, considering their low-budget origins). Extras aren't as important to me.

*EDIT* Also, is Amazon France the best place to buy this, or is there a cheaper/better place to get French DVD's?

Last edited by sb5; 12-19-10 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know anything about the French set, but as reported here, Monte Hellman confirmed that Criterion would be releasing The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind, but not China 9 Liberty 37. This was in the summer of 2008 however, and no news since.
Old 12-20-10, 12:49 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I've seen the Criterion news item while Googling around about this set, but like you said, it's been 1 and a 1/2 years now without so much as a word. Knowing my luck, they'll officially announce something right after I order this set.