Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Bound (Blu-ray)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bound (Blu-ray)

Set to be released in Japan on January 28th.

Variety:
An attention-getting lesbians-vs.-the-mob hook merely serves as a disguise for what is just another designer thriller in "Bound," a notably unpalatable and calculated crime piece. Novelty of having two sultry babes hook up with each other while pulling a fast one on some mobsters wears thin before becoming ludicrously contrived. Debuting writer-directors Larry and Andy Wachowski come off like Coen brothers wannabes with no sense of humor. Sapphic angle will arouse some curiosity and want-see in certain circles, but this is otherwise a low-end gangster meller that doesn't look to travel far when Gramercy releases it in August.

From the grandiose opening onward, it is clear the Wachowskis are determined to announce their arrival as major stylists, as they lay on the elaborate camera moves, overhead shots, deep shadows and portentous music. But it soon becomes apparent that while they may be clever with a premise, their senses of drama, logic and character have no more depth than a storyboard.

Ground-setting is rather intriguing, as two dark-haired girls in leather give each other some heavy eyeballing. Corky (Gina Gershon), a tattooed hardbody with a '63 Chevy truck who would look right at home up a telephone pole, is fixing up an apartment after serving five years for robbery. Next door live the alluring Violet (Jennifer Tilly) and crude midlevel gangster Caesar (Joe Pantoliano), who specializes in money-laundering.

Soon Violet is offering to show Corky her own tattoo, and once they dive into a relationship, Violet lets on that she's looking for a way out of her mob lifestyle, which entails sleeping with other tough-talking creeps.

Up to this point, pic holds at least some potential as a fresh take on standard underworld fare. But then the focus shifts to Caesar, whom Pantoliano plays as if trying to outdo Richard Widmark's cackling cretin in the original "Kiss of Death." After goons gruesomely torture another lowlife in order to retrieve some filched mob money, Caesar becomes unglued when the $ 2 million suddenly disappears, thanks to a scheme hatched by the femme lovers. Remainder of the story involves a series of confrontations stemming from Caesar's resourceful countermoves to recover the loot and figure out who betrayed him.

All characters in the story, including the two women, are willing criminals who exist on the same bankrupt moral level. All are scum, and just because Violet and Corky fall for each other doesn't mean they somehow fall into a privileged state of grace in which vile behavior can be forgiven. So fundamentally unbelievable and unsympathetic is their romantic and criminal collaboration that one's sympathy eventually swings back toward the temperamental Caesar simply because he proves the smartest person onscreen.

The Wachowskis' stylistic overkill is best exemplified by a ridiculous tracking shot of a phone cord in which the camera does little curlicues to trace the precise pattern of the wire. Numerous other effects are nearly as pretentious and eager to impress, resulting in what is basically a small exploitation film told with heavy-handed techniques.

Gershon and Tilly are initially intriguing but can't sustain interest in their superficially conceived roles. They share one passionate scene, which is covered in a single take. Most of the other perfs are over-the-top to varying degrees. Behind-the-scenes personnel capably delivered what was asked, which was far too much for the material.

Camera (Deluxe color), Bill Pope; editor, Zach Staenberg; music, Don Davis; production design, Eve Cauley; art direction, Robert Goldstein, Andrea Dopaso; set design, Harry E. Otto; set decoration, Kristen Toscano Messina; costume design, Lizzy Gardiner; sound (Dolby), Felipe Borrero; assistant director, Rip Murray; casting, Nancy Foy. Reviewed at Sony Studios, Culver City, Jan. 10, 1996. (In Sundance Film Festival -- premiere.) MPAA Rating: R. Running time: 107 min.
Pro-B
Old 12-30-08, 03:04 AM

I'd love to get this on Blu.
Old 12-30-08, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is good news. Japan is the same region as the U.S., so if this has an English language track, I'm in. But I hope I can find a better import price than Amazon.co.jp, which has it for ~$42, plus shipping.
Old 01-10-09, 09:19 AM

Re: Bound (Blu-ray)

any idea about extras?

It's frustrating that so little info is available about import BDs (technical specs, extras) until the movie is actually released....

Does the U.S. studios just do a better job sharing this info prior to release?
Old 06-05-09, 04:18 PM

Review (in french) of the french release that will be available on June 10.

Format 1.85 - 16/9 compatible 4/3 - DTS - Double couche (double layer)

Compression vidéo : AVC
Interactivité : standard
Master audio : 5.1

Langages : - Anglais DTS-HD MA 5.1 / Français DTS-HD Stéréo

Sous-titres : Français
Old 06-06-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was this movie any good?
Old 06-07-09, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slateef
Was this movie any good?

Yes, it is. IMHO, this and the original Matrix are the only good movies the Wachowskis made.

I should have waited for this release. If I had known this was coming out I wouldn't have picked up the anamorphic SD version for $6 when I was in Australia. I couldn't resist.
Old 06-07-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slateef
Was this movie any good?
I'll second the other comment. Once you get past the fact that the first 20 min or so is a glorified softcore lesbian flick, it gets really good once the Joe Pantiallano character fully shows up.
Old 06-07-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'll second the other comment. Once you get past the fact that the first 20 min or so is a glorified softcore lesbian flick, it gets really good once the Joe Pantiallano character fully shows up.
Ummm...I thought the first part was pretty good, too.
Old 06-08-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

This is one of my favorites, but at these prices, I'll wait 'n see if a US release is announced.
Old 06-16-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The disc is Region-Free and perfectly playable in Region-A machines. There are no forced French subtitles.

Pro-B
Old 06-16-09, 09:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Damn, that's great to hear! Looks like I'm ordering now.
Old 06-16-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Love this film and ordered the French release as well.

I realize this one is region free, but I had just ordered the Momitsu and it's one of those -- oh heck, the budget's blown, so let's order other stuff.
Old 06-16-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rkndkn
I realize this one is region free, but I had just ordered the Momitsu and it's one of those -- oh heck, the budget's blown, so let's order other stuff.
Then, Liz, your next order should include Fellini's Casanova (France), Antonioni's Red Desert (UK) and Pasolini's Trilogy of Life (UK). If you have some cash left, consider L'ennemi intime (France).

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 06-16-09, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Pro-B! (Your reviews have a way of making me want to see so many things I may not have considered -- hard on the wallet!) L'ennemi intime was one I was considering earlier, but I decided on Paris and Deux jours a tuer for now.
Old 06-24-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I'd like to order "Bound" from Amazon France but when I use the browser's translator it screws up ordering process. Is there an easier way to do this, -or a better source?
Old 06-24-09, 06:28 PM

There's an English language help page there that might help you:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/help/custome...?nodeId=603066

For the most part, I find Amazon.fr follows Amazon.com very closely as far as placement of buttons and the layout of the pages so it's pretty instinctual. If I want to translate something, though, I usually use babelfish.yahoo.com.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much would one expect to pay in USD to get Bound from Amazon.fr shipped to the US?
Old 03-15-10, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For Blu-ray, Japan is Zone A, the same as the U.S. The best price I've seen is at Amazon's Japanese Web site.
Old 03-07-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
How much would one expect to pay in USD to get Bound from Amazon.fr shipped to the US?
Not that anyone is following this thread really , but mine came to about $33 american, shipping included. I didn't go through with it, yet. I was hoping for somewhere in the twenties, 30's is a bit hard to stomach, even for an import. Anybody know somewhere besides Amazon that's reputable?
Old 03-08-11, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd watch the price, I picked it up for 9.99 euros and have seen it frequently at that range on many occasions. As for shipping, I recommend buying multiple titles as the shipping costs stays the same, meaning you can spread shipping over multiple titles rather than just 1.
Old 03-08-11, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by nitin77
I'd watch the price, I picked it up for 9.99 euros and have seen it frequently at that range on many occasions. As for shipping, I recommend buying multiple titles as the shipping costs stays the same, meaning you can spread shipping over multiple titles rather than just 1.
Yeah, I picked it up for 8.99 euros off Ebay (had to go to Ebay.fr and link it back to my American account) and a reputable seller. With shipping it should come around to $20 american which is much more reasonable. I did look through the rest of what the guy was selling but couldn't find anything I wanted. But $20 is a lot easier to stomach than nearly $35, so I'm good with it. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-11, 07:00 PM

A quick update, but I got it in less than a week from France off Ebay. I think that's the quickest European shipment I have ever seen. I've had Amazon shipments go slower. Crazy.
Old 03-14-11, 08:28 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
A quick update, but I got it in less than a week from France off Ebay. I think that's the quickest European shipment I have ever seen. I've had Amazon shipments go slower. Crazy.
Could you post details of your dealt with, please?

I have contacted a couple of ebay.fr sellers and hopefully hear something soon
Old 03-15-11, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Could you post details of your dealt with, please?

I have contacted a couple of ebay.fr sellers and hopefully hear something soon
The seller's name is igua0. They still have one copy of Bound as I write this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOUND-BONUSSS-BL...33617606595289

They were pretty fair IMHO, they charge 4 1/2 Euros to ship and it looked like they shipped as soon as I paid. BTW, I did watch it for twenty minutes last night and it was easy to navigate. The picture looked very improved from the dvd as well. Jennifer Tilly never looked better *wink*.