Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

'Alien Quadrilogy' help...please!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I settled down to watch the Aliens '1991 Special Edition', as listed on Disc 3. However, when I come to the menu, there is no option to watch this version. The only option is 'play movie', and I assume this is the regular theatrical cut (either way, both are advertised as being on the disc). I've watched the Alien 2003 Director's Cut with no problems on disc 1, so what's up here?

My Quadrilogy is R2.

I've enclosed a picture of the DVD menu so you guys can see what I mean.

Old 10-20-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know if the R2 menus are any different, but that doesn't even look like the R1 menus. Is that the way the other discs' menus look? If not you may have gotten the wrong disc in the set.
Old 10-20-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I recall, that is the menu from JUST the Director's Cut DVD that was out before the Quadrilogy version that contains both versions.
Old 10-20-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Yeah, the R1 menu is totally different. When you put the disc in, the first menu that pops up is where you choose between each version.
Old 10-20-08, 11:35 AM

I hope I haven't got the wrong disc. The actual printing on the disc is consistent with the rest of the Quadrilogy though.

I'll post a picture of the Alien disc 1 menu later to see if it's consistent or not.

EDIT - I just checked now, disc 1 gives me the decision between director's cut and regular version before I even get to the menu. Does this mean I have the wrong disc?

Last edited by Cactus Jack; 10-20-08 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wondering, but is it under the special features menu perchance?
Old 10-20-08, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by burnside986
Just wondering, but is it under the special features menu perchance?
Nope. Checked there. Thanks for helping nonetheless.
Old 10-20-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry brother. Poked around on the internet as well and can't find anything else out for you. But I'll keep trying.
Old 10-20-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, at Amazon.uk they have a listing for the Directors Cut DVD for Aliens. Looks like Snowmaker was dead on. It's the menu for the old DC disc from the Alien Saga.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...F8&s=dvd&img=3
Old 10-20-08, 04:09 PM

So I've got the wrong disc printed as the Quadrilogy one, basically? Bollocks. I've long lost my reciept by now, I bought it about 2 years ago.

Are there any other features I'm missing out on due to this misprint?
Old 10-28-08, 03:35 PM
Cool New Member

Having just recently went through tons and tons of hours of the Quadrilogy set R1, I can help you.

Checking DVDcompare.net for the Alien Legacy version of the film which you apparently have, you are majorly missing the commentary which comes on the film, unless I'm wrong? Also you can't watch the theatrical version but that doesn't matter so much as the director's cut is just the movie with all the deleted scenes put back in. The rest of the extras like behind the scenes stuff and interviews is just found on the second disc for Aliens. Also you are missing THX audio.

Guess what though, I had almost the same problem as you where I bought the set 2 years before I got around to it, only to find out my Alien Resurrection disc was defective about halfway through the movie, making me unable to finish it. What I did was I bought a new one from a local store, took the stickers off the shrinkwrap, unwrapped it carefully, switched my disc 7 with the new one, then had it shrinkwrapped again at a local Kinko's, and last put the stickers back on again. They may have been a little suspicious because the shrinkwrap was flimsier than the original but they let me return it anyways for a refund.

Maybe you may want to try something similar?