Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Godfather Trilogy: Remastered - Steelbook Edition (R2) - June 2nd

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Godfather Trilogy: Remastered - Steelbook Edition (R2) - June 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty James
That steelbook is beautiful. It looks like it only contains the first film, though, not the entire trilogy.
Why would they title this the Trilogy, if it only contained the first film?

Who would pay £17.99 for the first movie and is there even enough material from the first movie to warrant five discs?
Old 05-08-08, 05:56 PM

I have been asked to clear up a bit of misinformation in this thread.

For the record, Bram Stoker's Dracula was not in need of restoration. The new transfer, as released on Blu-Ray is simply that -- a new transfer with color and density information based upon the original director approved answer print.

I had no direct involvement.

What anyone thinks of the final result, I would believe to be a personal matter, as everyone sees things slightly differently.

RAH
Old 05-09-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by The Film Preserve
For the record, Bram Stoker's Dracula was not in need of restoration. The new transfer, as released on Blu-Ray is simply that -- a new transfer
The use of the word "restoration" was admittedly a poor choice. "Remastering" would be more appropriate.

with color and density information based upon the original director approved answer print.

I had no direct involvement.

What anyone thinks of the final result, I would believe to be a personal matter, as everyone sees things slightly differently.

RAH
Thank you for posting in this thread. I'd like to make it clear that I do not wish to sound argumentative. Would you mind commenting on your thoughts as to why the director approved Criterion laserdisc transfer doesn't look anything like the director approved answer print, if the answer print came first?
Old 05-09-08, 07:46 AM

Josh Z,

The laserdisc and BD look different for a myriad of reasons, the most important of which is simple technology, and one's ability to create tonalities such as black and near black, as well as dense color in 480 lines of standard definition analogue.

The two technologies are so dramatically different, that the earlier gives a colorist little chance of accurately capturing the cinema look, while the latter allows very fine adjustment.

Add to this the obvious human frailty of making decisions based upon what one perceives things looked like by memory, as replicated in the old technology, vs. actually bringing the OAP out of the cold vault, and viewing the new transfer side by side with the OAP allowing tweaking of the image until matching.

Something can be director or DP approved without it being physically matched against an accurate "hero" or reference. Bring that reference into the fray, and an entirely different animal may emerge.

Again, I've spoken with those involved. I was not there. But I can tell you from experience that attempting to match color and density without proper authenticated reference is a greased pole I try very hard not to have to climb.

Been there. Done that. Don't like it.

Precisely what occurred ten years ago or more, I don't know. What I do know is that the new release is matched to original vaulted OAP.

RAH
Old 05-09-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 315 Posts
Hey, what the hell is all this Dracula shit doing in Godfather R2 thread?

Getting back to the topic at hand....

I'm pretty interested in this release, especially since it's pretty close (and steelbook, natch). Though I wonder if the PAL speed-up would be an issue for me. Normally, I don't notice, nor care, but I've seen the Godfathers so many times, that I'm sure I would in this instance. But then, there are the handful of PAL titles (like LOTR) that have been pitch-adjusted to compensate for speed-up. I could see them doing that for this release too, but who knows...
Old 05-09-08, 04:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Hey, what the hell is all this Dracula shit doing in Godfather R2 thread?

Getting back to the topic at hand....

I'm pretty interested in this release, especially since it's pretty close (and steelbook, natch). Though I wonder if the PAL speed-up would be an issue for me. Normally, I don't notice, nor care, but I've seen the Godfathers so many times, that I'm sure I would in this instance. But then, there are the handful of PAL titles (like LOTR) that have been pitch-adjusted to compensate for speed-up. I could see them doing that for this release too, but who knows...
you know i usually buy what i really desire even if R2/3, but i am becoming weary now as i popped in "Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Once More With Feeling" for the first time and noticed Xander was speaking like a high pitched girl. it was very disconcerting and very bad. i also noticed C. Thomas Howell in "The Hitcher". didn't like it much but at all. the ones i don't notice, obviously, are films i've never seen, but now it is always in the back of my mind. sigh.
Old 05-28-08, 07:25 AM
Hal

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Hopefully this "Coppola Remaster" will be better than the travesty visited upon Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Godfather old vs. remastered comparison pix

uhmmm...
Old 05-28-08, 09:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
American Cinematography's May issue has an article on the restoration here's the link to the article, but the magazine has a few restoration pics:

http://www.ascmag.com/magazine_dynam...ocus/page1.php
Old 05-28-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It looks a bit better. Meh.