Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help Me Identify this Move Please

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Help Me Identify this Move Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help Me Identify this Movie Please

it was a Samurai movie... i believe i saw it on AMC or TCM, one of those channels... years back...

there was a battle... gorgeous cinematography of the two armies... with really tall banners, rich with color... during the beginning of the battle one of the generals advising a warlord complemented the formation of the opposing army...

a little later... one warlord had hostages... the wife and mother(i'm pretty sure) of the other warlord... one adviser was telling the warlord with the hostages he HAD to demand strong terms and kill them if those terms weren't met... you could tell the warlord did not want to hurt those women...

the other warlord's adviser was telling him the Samurai way, and his position as leader, required him to ignore the hostages and be defiant... you could tell this warlord did care and wanted to give the terms so the hostages would live...

but the advisers of both men were whispering in their ears and the hostages were cut down... right in front of the warlord who had them captive... and in the site of the other warlord... it was a disturbing scene...

i have tried for a long time actually... to find this film... i searched 'samurai' movie lists... imdb... etc. and i can't find it...

if somebody here knows that film that would be cool as hell...

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 03-01-08 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-01-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thought that springs to mind is that it sounds like it could be "Ten to Chi to" (1990) aka "Heaven and Earth". I haven't watched it in at least a couple years I think, but the hostage scene sounds very similar to one in the movie I mentioned. In that movie I think the hostages were the wife and child of the other warlord who was watching everything transpire from a position high above looking down on the hostage situation. I think he might have been in his fortress or maybe just the top of a hill...and yes they were executed as he watched. And there are some very colorful large scale battles. The U.S. got a shorter cut of the film. I've always wanted to see an English-friendly version of the longer cut.
Old 03-01-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flixtime
First thought that springs to mind is that it sounds like it could be "Ten to Chi to" (1990) aka "Heaven and Earth". I haven't watched it in at least a couple years I think, but the hostage scene sounds very similar to one in the movie I mentioned. In that movie I think the hostages were the wife and child of the other warlord who was watching everything transpire from a position high above looking down on the hostage situation. I think he might have been in his fortress or maybe just the top of a hill...and yes they were executed as he watched. And there are some very colorful large scale battles. The U.S. got a shorter cut of the film. I've always wanted to see an English-friendly version of the longer cut.
yes!!!

he was above looking down!!!

that may be it...

ok i'm region free, so if i get the asian one that's the film?...
Old 03-01-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah that's it...

thanks man...

it's OOP and like $55 from dvdasian...

there are two films, three films?... 'Ten To Chi To' and 'Ten No Ban' and 'Chi no Ban'?...

anybody know the story?... why two releases?... an 'Earth' edition and a 'Heaven' edition...

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 03-01-08 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-01-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dr Mabuse, glad to be of service.

As far as the two separate DVD releases, the "Earth" release is the English-friendly shorter cut; the "Heaven" release is the longer cut but it is not English-friendly.