Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Mongol (Kazakhstan)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mongol (Kazakhstan)

Per Mao's request:

Sergei Bodrov's latest Mongol is also Kazakhstan's official Oscar entry in 2007. The film is available on DVD yet I am reluctant to post the info even though there is a company with an official distro site. Unless someone can guarantee that these people are a legitimate Russian distributor I am not linking their site at TALK.

PictureHouse/WB are bringing this one to the US.

Official US Site:
http://www.mongolmovie.com/

Variety:

Encompassing shifting tribal alliances, a love story for the ages and a sworn friendship transformed into enmity, “Mongol” traces the formative years of legendary warrior Genghis Khan. Spanning his life from age 9 in 1172 through 1206, when the feuding nomadic clans united under his leadership, this Central Asia-set historical epic from Russian helmer Sergei Bodrov (“Nomad”) boasts breathtaking landscapes, dazzling cinematography, bloody battles and unique traditions. The beautifully mounted actioner, the first entry in a proposed trilogy, should conquer auds in the khan’s former territories and, with savvy marketing, may also draw new blood to the film when Picturehouse releases it Stateside next year.

Shot on locations in Kazakhstan and the Chinese province of Inner Mongolia, pic captures the nomadic lifestyle of the 12th century and the harsh climate and varying terrain of the Mongolian steppe, a place where a man’s not a man without a horse. It also introduces a strong, resourceful female character: Borte, first wife and lifelong adviser to the man born as Temudgin.

Opening in 1192, during one of many periods of captivity Temudgin suffered, the story flashes back 20 years to show him as a lad (Odnyam Odsuren) with his father Esugei (Ba Sen), a tribal leader. On the way to choose a bride from the fierce Merkit clan, the boy finds heart captured by spirited Borte (Bayartsetseg Erdenabat), and he selects her instead.

It’s a choice that changes Temudgin’s life forever. On the way home, his father is poisoned, and as soon as the funeral rites are complete, resentful follower Targutai (Amadu Mamadakov) seizes power -- and the property of Temudgin’s family.

Tradition prevents Targutai from spilling the boy’s blood until he’s grown, so Temudgin becomes a fugitive. Alone on the snow-covered steppe, he meets tribal prince Jamukha (Amarbold Tuvinbayar), and the two become blood brothers.

Eventually, Temudgin is captured and escapes. When he’s captured again in 1186, he’s grown into a strong, defiant man (Tadanobu Asano).

After another escape, Temudgin obtains a horse and sets off to claim Borte (Khulan Chuluun). Their brief, tender idyll is interrupted by vengeance-seeking Merkits who kidnap Borte. With the help of blood brother Jamukha (Honglei Sun), Temudgin rescues Borte, but later, the blood brothers fall out and eventually end up at war with each other.

Perfs by the multiethnic leads mesh well. Japanese indie idol Asano smolders as maverick Temudgin, charismatic Chinese thesp Sun brings some welcome humor to the role of Jamukha, and Mongolian non-pro Chuluun makes an adroit Borte. They’re nicely supported by a roster of Mongolian thesps in bit parts and an accomplished group of Kazakh and Kyrgyz stunt riders.

Vivid lensing by Sergey Trofimov and Rogier Stoffers lends needed momentum to the sprawling tale, particularly during the horse-mounted chases and battle sequences.

Spectacular production design by artist Dashi Namdakov and handsome folkloric costumes by Karin Lohr keep the pic easy on the eyes. Lush score by Tuomas Kantelinen is hauntingly supplemented with the ethno-folk stylings of Mongolian band Altan Urgan.

According to the press notes, pic was conceived as the first of three films designed to cover the entire lifetime of Genghis Khan. Opening credits on print caught in Toronto indicated title as “Mongol, Part 1.”

Directed by Sergei Bodrov. Screenplay, Arif Aliyev, Bodrov. Camera (color, widescreen), Sergey Trofimov, Rogier Stoffers; editors, Zach Staenberg, Valdis Oskarsdottir; music, Tuomas Kantelinen; additional music, Altan Urag; production designer, Dashi Namdakov; costume designer, Karin Lohr; sound (Dolby Digital), Bruno Tarriere, Maxim Belovolov; stunt choreography, Zhaidarbek Kunguzhinov, Jung Doo Hong; casting, Guka Omarova. Reviewed at Toronto Film Festival (Special Presentations), Sept. 8, 2007. Running time: 126 MIN.
Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-24-08, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the russian dvd has legally/officially been out for months now, just no english subs.

Here's a link: http://www.dvdigitall.com/dvd/w15824
Old 01-24-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Really looking forward to this, with the Oscar nod Asano might finally get the attention he deserves.
Old 01-24-08, 09:44 PM

DVDdigital have a habit of not stating whether english subtitles are included on russian films though, for example Trackman has english subtitles, Ive emailed dvddigital about this and they dont seem to care they're losing out on sales.

Best off checking out a Russian dvd comparison site to see if subtitles are included on Russian DVD releases.
Old 01-24-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by stalin_roy
DVDdigital have a habit of not stating whether english subtitles are included on russian films though, for example Trackman has english subtitles, Ive emailed dvddigital about this and they dont seem to care they're losing out on sales.

Best off checking out a Russian dvd comparison site to see if subtitles are included on Russian DVD releases.
Subtitles (English) are most definitely not offered. This disc is all over the German forums. The problem I have here is with the distrib.

Pro-B
Old 01-25-08, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unrelated to bootleg problems in Russia, the only legitimate possibility of a Russian DVD having English subtitles in which native Russia carries a non-subitled DVD is when a Russian DVD is sold in some Russian community within another country. For example, Brighton Beach NYC has legitimate NTSC Russian DVD releases (sometimes having English subtitles) while its native Russia PAL DVD counterpart does not have the English subtitles.

For example, USA/Canada Russian DVD stores have the following legitimate DVDs with English subtitles, which may or may not be hard to find: Barber of Siberia, 9th Company, Master and Margarita TV movie, Day Watch, Night Watch, Brat, Brat 2, etc...

I haven't a Russian (USA-based) DVD of Mongul with English subs yet.
Old 01-26-08, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Unrelated to bootleg problems in Russia, the only legitimate possibility of a Russian DVD having English subtitles in which native Russia carries a non-subitled DVD is when a Russian DVD is sold in some Russian community within another country. For example, Brighton Beach NYC has legitimate NTSC Russian DVD releases (sometimes having English subtitles) while its native Russia PAL DVD counterpart does not have the English subtitles.

For example, USA/Canada Russian DVD stores have the following legitimate DVDs with English subtitles, which may or may not be hard to find: Barber of Siberia, 9th Company, Master and Margarita TV movie, Day Watch, Night Watch, Brat, Brat 2, etc...

I haven't a Russian (USA-based) DVD of Mongul with English subs yet.
it's the reason that canadian site had limited amounts of 'day watch' discs with subs on.... maybe someone is spotting another legit source from within a country / region? the film will appear later this year elsewhere, as it's due a USA release.
Old 01-26-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm going to try to see it at AFI Dallas in March. They just announced the first 15 titles and this was on the list.
Old 01-27-08, 09:51 AM

There is a Russian disc with English sub's as I've seen it for sale, but I'm guessing it's grey area. I'm sure like most films this one will have varried opinions, but IMO this movie is nothing more then average at best. I spent $10 to see this at the TIFF and I think it was $10 too much. 12 was a more enjoyable film, although I doubt either have a chance at the Oscar.
Old 02-27-08, 05:46 PM

I just recieved SILK from amazon today. Inside the DVD case there is flyer from PictureHouse that states upcoming R1 DVDs. Yes, Mongol is listed as well as The Orphanage. Mongol will be released in the US Cinemas on June 6th. I assume an R1 dvd will follow thereafter.
Old 02-27-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll be the first to say this movie's not very good despite staring Tadanobu Asano who I generally like. The set battle pieces made me think of Braveheart on a constrained budget. The love story seemed very modern and ahistorical to me. Actually I can't think of anything good to say about this one at all.
Old 03-07-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDdigitall,

You have an English-subtitled DVD version of Mongol?

Or do you mean:

You have just the English subtitles on a CD-Rom or on paper separate from the DVD?
Old 03-07-08, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by dvdigitall
We do have English subtitles for Mongol. Just let us know and we will gladly email them.
i've never understood the idea of sitting at a computer and applying SRT files for subs... if they're not on a disc, and not playable wherever i choose to watch them, no sale. shame.
Old 03-08-08, 09:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I saw this in February and thought it was terribly lacking. The story offered nothing surprising and the filmmaking style forced and derivative of many of the new Hollywood films relying on CGI to impress: Kingdom of Heaven, 300. I thought the violence/battle sequences were trying to outstage a flawed script.
Old 07-30-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the eager, while I can't speak to the quality of the disc, it looks like an English-friendly Thai DVD was just released.
Old 07-30-08, 01:05 PM

My local theaters are playing CTHD is it remastered, new transfer
Old 07-30-08, 01:09 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mongol-Serge...dp/B0019GJ44W/

september is the first i would trust. R2 UK.

good film, not stunning - kind of caught between low-budget blockbuster approach and arthouse approach; confused, in other words - and asano, despite being good, is expected to be a little different to his usual still approach. i caught a digital showing of this, and i suspect it relies a little too much on it's visual beauty over and above anything particularly original or fresh.
Old 07-30-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Warner/New Line are also set to release this film in the US on BR on September 9th.

Pro-B
Old 07-31-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

An English-subtitled DVD is now available at ethaidvd.com at: http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=40511