Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Le Serpent (UK release)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Le Serpent (UK release)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Serpent (UK release)

Set to be released on March 3 in the United Kingdom.

Official site and trailer:
http://www.leserpent-lefilm.com/

Review courtesy of BBC:

Hot on the heels of Tell No One comes another slickly directed and sturdily acted Parisian thriller about a middle-aged bourgeois man being framed for murder. Based on a English novel by Ted 'Get Carter' Lewis, and written and directed by Eric Brazier, The Serpent concerns a self-absorbed photographer Mandel (Yvan Attal) on the verge of divorcing his wealthy German wife. Enter the psychopathic Plender (Clovis Cornillac), a former classmate obsessed with avenging Mandel for a traumatic childhood experience.

Taking its name from the tattoo sported by the diabolical Plender, The Serpent doesn't expend its energies on exploring nuances or ambiguities in its characters. Brazier clearly relishes showing the life of his ostensible hero crumble before our eyes: falsely accused of rape by a model, Mandel discovers the woman's body in his car, making him the prime suspect for the police. Meanwhile private investigator Plender is inveigling himself into the confidence of the snapper's family.

"ATMOSPHERIC USE OF ITS URBAN LOCATIONS"

Admittedly, The Serpent makes atmospheric use of its urban locations, such as the old-fashioned cemetery, which is the resting place of Plender's beloved mother, whose final instructions to her son were, "Wash away the shame". But the more overblown the film becomes - for example Mandel's wildly improbable escape from police custody or the climactic hand-to-hand confrontation between the adversaries in the old asylum - the less it engages our emotions.
Pro-B

ps
For those interested a cheap Thai disc has been available for some time now (thought quality isn't great).

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-16-08 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-30-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got around to watch the U.K. disc of this. While I found TELL NO ONE to be quite reasonably satisfying, I'd say LE SERPENT edges ahead as my preferred choice between the two. They are certainly cut from the same cloth and as such make for a logical pairing if you want to do a movie night double-feature showcasing recent French suspensers. As was the case in the recent Hollywood movie HITMAN, the new Bond girl is also on display in LE SERPENT. As of this writing, the U.K. disc is priced at half off on Amazon UK.
Old 09-04-08, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The resurrection of this thread finally gave me the nudge I needed to get round to watching this - and I'm glad I did. Would pretty much agree with flixtime's assessment above, and although I'm no fan of Attal I thought he did pretty well here (very similar part to Cluzet's in "Tell No One", for sure) as did Cornillac. But the real pleasure on the acting side comes from the support by Simon Abkarian and Pierre Richard, both excellent (and the latter in a bigger role than I thought he was going to have...)

Dazza