Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Extras Series 2: US vs UK

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

I've heard that the US and UK broadcasts of the show had some different references in scenes, and I was wondering if both were included in the DVD releases?

If the US and UK sets are identical, I would probably just pick up the US version, since I can find it cheaper.

Anyone know for sure?
Old 08-23-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts
my best friend downloaded the UK version and bought the US DVDs and he claims there are differences. here's what he posted on his blog:
I'm enraged at HBO for Americanizing a British TV show (apparenlty before airing it and also) on DVD. They changed a (fairly vulgar) line that was funny in "English" to a very unfunny (yet equally vular) "Americanese" line. I know the line was there because I downloaded the show (Extras, season 2) just after it aired on BBC2. I didn't know it had been changed because I never saw it aired on HBO. If I had known I never would have bought the American DVD, but ordered the region 2 UK DVD. They also changed a reference to Billy Piper in conversation about Harry Potter. They replaced it with Halle Barry, which sounds nothing like Harry Potter. I feel like my DVDs are tainted. Why don't they just make Greedo shoot first while they're at it?
Old 08-23-07, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow...I had no idea. I am curious if its true as I was just about to buy Series 1&2 R1.

on a side note....I noticed on the Black Books (R1) 1 & 2 sets the menu was changed from the R2 version. I own Black Books Series 3 (R2) and on my Toshiba 3990 the picture quality is better than the R1 releases....alot better. I have been thinking of just sticking to R2 for my UK shows.
Old 08-23-07, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has some info on version differences:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....hlight=gervais
Old 08-24-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts
You can thank Ricky Gervais for those changes - him and his co-writer/producer re-recorded those bits themselves for the American market with no push by HBO to do so.