Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Francois Ozon ANGEL 11/28

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-04-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ozon's Angel is set to be released in France-Monaco on 11/28. At this point I can not confirm whether or not Wild Side will offer imposed French subs.

For the trailer refer to Ozon's official site:

www.francois-ozon.com

Pro-B
Old 08-06-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm looking forward to seeing this, but I have to concede that I haven't really liked an Ozon film since "Swimming Pool". I had occasion to watch "Water Drops on Burning Rocks" again over the weekend, and realized all over how much I love this film (along with "Sous le sable", "Sitcom", "Criminal Lovers" and all the earlier shorts). But everything from "8-1/2 Women" on have not really had much impact on me.
Old 08-06-07, 02:57 PM

I saw ANGEL in France earlier this year and was completely disappointed. Ozon is one of my favorite directors working today and, for me, the film was a complete letdown.
Old 12-02-07, 05:09 AM
Cool New Member

Pro-B,

Any word on whether the French subs are imposed or not?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hello,

I have decided to order the Dutch disc since I am going to be ordering two more Dutch titles.

I don't own the French disc as of this moment. But do have info regarding the Dutch release and can confirm that the Dutch subs aren't imposed.

Ad to the French disc I only went through the RAMA review a few days ago and even though they don't address the subs I am fairly certain that Wilde Side might have provided player-generated subs as they have in the past.

Here's the Dutch review:
http://www.dvdinfo.be/bespreking.php?id=3971

Pro-B
Old 01-06-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just watched the French DVD of ANGEL, and I can confirm that the French subs are surprisingly....NOT IMPOSED! I was pretty surprised - those French usually force ya to watch the original version with French subtitles....The anamorphic video and English stereo are of excellent quality...

Concerning the film, I thought ANGEL was excellent. I think it's a misinterpreted film if it got poor reviews. I think it's a film that could be paralleled with Coppala's Marie Antoinette - sort of critical of young celebrities exposed to fame and fortune. I didn't read the reviews of this film - I just know it got mixed reviews and I think negative reviews by Ozon fans? It's also a very stylized theatrical film. At first I thought it was almost like the same acting style/film style as Moulin Rouge, only without songs, but basically, it turned into a good black comedy. Even in the movie, there is a scene where Angel's book is turned into a play and she says it's not as good as the book - and the play itself is very cheesy theatrical but the crowd loves it...In another scene, she reveals that she likes only Shakespeare, but does not like his comedies, in which they try to be funny, but ends up being not funny. Shakespeare's dramas are, of course, known to be funnier than his comedies - in a black comedy way. So, I thought that Angel parallels Shakespeare's dramas in that they are very dramatic and tragic, but still in a black comedy way...I find it funny that the trailer marketed the film as a typical period-piece film, but just like Coppola's Marie Antoinette, it's different from the usual period piece.

The only other Ozon film I have seen was 8 Femmes and absolutely hated the film.

Pro-Bass, so what other films do you think I would like of Ozon?
Old 01-07-08, 07:19 AM

I too really enjoyed Angel. Toddly, I have no doubt that Pro-B will answer your question soon, but FWIW I like pretty much all of Ozon's movies in the few years running up to Angel: Time to Leave & 5x2 are both well worth seeing, if far more sombre works (and both a bit too short to make their points emotionally). I really liked 8 Women (which you hated) and Swimming Pool, which were both great fun IMO. Under the Sand is also a great film on the more downbeat side of Ozon's output. TBH, the only Ozon I really don't like very much is Sitcom, which just didn't sit well with me at all...

Dazza.
Old 01-08-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Pro-Bass, so what other films do you think I would like of Ozon?
Toddly:

More than likely I am not the right person to ask about Ozon recommendations. You have probably seen on this forum that I consider him one of the top 3 directors working in cinema today. Thus, I happen to like pretty much everything he's done.

This being said...

From his most recent works I enjoyed Time to Leave much more than 5x2. It has the strong dramatic overtones I like seeing in cinema, a great moral dilemma, and a superb cast. The pic expects you to think and disagree with its context rather than swallow a comfortable moralistic finale. I don't think you would like this film but I believe that you should see it.

Criminal Lovers-Once again, I believe that you would hate this film, quite a bit in fact, and that is why I think you should see it as well. I don't think there are many around here that would confess they enjoyed it. But that's what the pic aims for...a form of denial (I certainly would have not endured what the two thesps did).

Water Drops on Burning Rocks is my least favorite film.

Sous le Sable is definitely a film I would recommend but you should seek the Artificial Eye disc as all others, including the Aussie disc, are a bit shaky (mostly transfer issues).

The rest of his work (excluding 8 femmes) I would not touch before you explore the titles above.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-08-08 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass,
Thanks, I'll definitely rent as many as possible. Are there any of his movies not available to rent in the USA, but are available only in France (with English subtitles of course)? I'm sure they have all of Ozon's films in the Swiss rental stores. I just don't want to find out that he has some good ones not availalble in the USA, that I had a chance to rent while living here...
Old 01-09-08, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Toddly:

Criminal Lovers-Once again, I believe that you would hate this film, quite a bit in fact, and that is why I think you should see it as well. I don't think there are many around here that would confess they enjoyed it. But that's what the pic aims for...a form of denial (I certainly would have not endured what the two thesps did).

Pro-B
To see Criminal Lovers on the big screen with an audience, wow, just blew me away. I have watched it on DVD several other times, my favorite,....
Just goes to show what a sick F--- I am!
Old 01-12-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Pro-Bass,
Thanks, I'll definitely rent as many as possible. Are there any of his movies not available to rent in the USA, but are available only in France (with English subtitles of course)?
Sorry Toddly...missed your post!

I believe that at this point there is nothing English-subbed in France/and territories that isn't available in the US (Angel aside) I would however recommend that you opt to see the French discs as almost all of Ozon's work is superior-looking on R2 than it is on R1.

Pro-B
Old 01-16-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PRO-BASS and SEIGRIED,
I just bought a used DVD of CRIMINAL LOVERS for 7 swiss francs, (this version: http://www.amazon.fr/Amants-criminel...528116&sr=8-8), and it was an excellent movie of its genre - now that's what I would call a well-made original horror movie, but it's not one that I would want to watch again. I like horror/thriller movies, but only seeing them once - don't have any desire to watch them again... Not a movie I would want to own, but an excellent rental. So, I'm pretty impressed with Ozon. I will keep on renting or buying used his movies til' I find one that I would really want to watch again.

This DVD that I bought is incorrectly labeled as 4/3 1.85 on the back cover and on dvd websites, but it's definitely ANAMORPHIC....and furthermore, I've been now looking at the DVD backs of these French DVDs of Ozon films, and they all seem to be English subtitled.

PRO-BASS, next time you recommend a movie, please tell me if a frequent cast member from a Kusturica film, is in the film!...I was mainly pleased with CRIMINAL LOVERS due to the surprise appearance of Miki Manojlovic. His storyline with the boy was pretty touching actually, as demented as the film may be. I need to see more of his films and more films from Former Yugoslavian nations. I can't just rely on getting my rare fix from Kusturica. There's gotta be some more decent films from those countries - now finding them on dvd with english subtitles are the problem...

I would like to see Ozon do a mainstream-type Hollywood film. He's a good director and knows how to film a movie and build intensity. I just would like to see if he can do it. 8 Femmes and Angel seem like mainstream films, but they are just a little bit off and abnormal, and not the kind of wacky I like such as Kusturica, Gilliam, Jeunet.

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-16-08 at 06:17 PM.