Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Bela Tarr ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bela Tarr ??

I'm looking to get into Bela Tarr, specifically Werckmeister Harmonies and Damnation. I see there are some R1 releases by FACETS video. How do these compare to the Artificial Eye releases? DVDBeaver doesn't have a comparison of the two.
Old 07-14-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should go with AE. Both Satantango and WH are of acceptable quality in R2. Facets I would avoid as much as I could.

Pro-B
Old 07-14-07, 12:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Satantango is actually cheaper to buy the Artifical Eye import than Facets edition.
Old 07-14-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks a lot.
Old 07-14-07, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facets' DVDs are almost uniformly shitty. With only a couple of exceptions, they should be avoided at all costs. The only one of their DVDs that I'm remotely happy with is Valley of the Bees, which isn't bad (but isn't perfect either).

Artificial Eye may have certain problems of their own, but they at least try to do things right and are willing to admit/correct mistakes. And a few of their releases are exceptional, like The Complete Jean Vigo, which is a near-perfect two-disc set!