Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

6 Films to Keep You Awake (Películas para no dormir)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone aware of English-subbed releases of this horror anthology? It seems they're available on R2 Spanish DVD, but only have Spanish subtitles and audio.

I don't believe they've been picked up for US distribution at this point (surprisingly) so here's hoping!
Old 05-25-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

not only that, but they are currently only available for rental in Spain, not retail. I know argentina has Alex de la Iglesia's input but not with english subs. for now the only alternative is to buy them used from rental places in spain but nothing on the english subs which is a shame.
Old 05-29-07, 10:05 AM

Some of them in Spain have eng subs on a few of them, forgot which ones. All 6 are available to buy from Germany, just buy them and use the fansubs available on the net.

Ive got around to watching 4 out of the 6 so far, they're all very good so far, my favorite is probably Cuento de Navidad ( the Christmas Tale ), set in the 80s, its kind of The goonies meets stand by me, with one the kids worshipping the karate kid! A review here:
http://www.fangoria.com/ghastly_review.php?id=4328

The Jaume Balagueró film Para Entrar A Vivir is brilliant as well, kind of reminded me of People under the stairs but obviously set in spain minus Roach and daddy in his gimp mask.

Last edited by stalin_roy; 05-29-07 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't need the subs so I'll probably wait for the spanish releases to go on sale or get them from a rental shop or something.
Old 01-09-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for anyone interested. dvdgo has this for sale as a pack. of the three that I own all have english subs. I own:
Para entrar a vivir
cuento de navidad
la culpa
Old 02-01-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up the 6 DVD boxset recently and just watched the first entry - director Alex de la Iglesia's "La Habitacion del Nino" aka "The Son's Room". I enjoyed it quite a bit...it was lean and to the point (the movie clocked in at 76 minutes or so)...and I connected with the main characters.

While cut from a not too different mold as the recent "El Orfanato" (and both films open with similar scenes) or even "El Habitante Incierto" (which I enjoyed), I'm much more positive in regard to this one as compared to "El Orfanato" since it did not fall victim to the bloat I felt was present in that film...might have been interesting to see "El Orfanato" trimmed down to a tighter runtime as found in this made-for-TV entry. And though I'm growing weary of jump scare filmmaking, "La Habitacion del Nino" certainly had at least a couple of heart attack-inducing moments. And I don't know if it was intentional, or just plain coincidence since the scenes were really rather commonplace, but I thought I spotted at least a couple of homages to the work of Dario Argento...or whoever else might have done similar scenes from which Argento borrowed perhaps...what do I know...when you watch too many movies you often get a certain sense of deja vu aka nothing new under the sun.

Anyway, it is my understanding that this entry is supposed to be the best of the six films in the pack, and now having watched it, it does seem like it would be difficult to surpass.
Old 08-20-08, 01:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Didn't see any other threads on this title.

Found this in the new release section at BB. Looks potentially decent for $20. Anyone seen them?
Old 08-21-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up the R2 Spain release when it came out, and that was like $60-$70, so in that sense the R1 release is a great bargain. As speculated upon in my earlier post in this thread, THE SON'S ROOM (aka BABY'S ROOM) probably did turn out to be the best for me. Though THE CHRISTMAS TALE was also very, very good in a darker GOONIES-like way (and it features the girl from PAN'S LABYRINTH). BLAME was easily the least impressive of the six. Alot of folks seemed to like TO LET and if I remember right it is the most action-oriented and gory of the collection. It was just okay for me, I just didn't like the use of unnecessary shaky-cam and perhaps found it a little implausible with unsympathetic characters too. I found A REAL FRIEND and SPECTRE to both be quite reasonably satisfying. If you are looking for modern-style horror with a lot of blood, gore, and false jump scares then you might be disappointed in the set. Personally I think the R1 release seems to offer solid value for the money, but if you're not in a hurry then maybe just wait for an even better price during the next 20% sale.

One thing though is try to mix up your viewing order so you don't watch THE SON'S ROOM, TO LET, and BLAME consecutively as they all have a foundation of a couple/family moving into a new residence. Perhaps that also hurt my enjoyment of TO LET as I watched it after THE SON'S ROOM and thus the early part of moving in to a new home/apartment felt repetitive.